Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: new to this forum and newbie question! (what ammo for LE6920)

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Don't squander money on "self defense" 5.56 ammo. It's all marketing hype. M193 will do a number on home invaders.
    I can accept that you prefer ball ammo, and we can agree to disagree. But when you give advice like this, I must ask that you cite your sources, please.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I can accept that you prefer ball ammo, and we can agree to disagree. But when you give advice like this, I must ask that you cite your sources, please.
    I agree. I mean.. an AR full of m193 beats any pistol or shotgun, but I've never seen any reliable source site M193 on par with OTM or Bonded.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriotne12 View Post

...I doubt any range in San Antonio are will let me use it!
    Probably no indoor ranges for sure.

You can shoot it at ranges that have dirt berms as backstops and no metal targets. Cedar Ridge Range on FM1863 in Bulverde is one example. Call around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks Bud!

whats you go too HD round!

Feedback Score

new to this forum and newbie question! (what ammo for LE6920)

Quote Originally Posted by Patriotne12 View Post
    whats you go too HD round!
    I have several magazines loaded with this:

https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-5...o-fiocchi-223b

If looking for something available locally, look for 55-62 grain hunting bullets like Federal Fusion or Hornady. I’m in the process of replacing my 55 grain PSP HD rounds with heavier bullets at least 62 grains.

Fusions are good and can be had locally:

https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-5...-ammo-f223msr1

I am probably going to order some of this Hornady FTX and see how it shoots:

https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-5...fle-ammo-80260

To be honest, any .223 /5.56 ammo will do a number on a body. But I do believe heavier is better, all things equal.

Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 10-30-19 at 16:56.

Feedback Score

new to this forum and newbie question! (what ammo for LE6920)

If you are looking for an opportunity to shoot that new blaster in a fun match, check out the IDPA match held on the first Saturday of every month at Cedar Ridge Range on FM1863 in Bulverde. You can shoot those green tips to n the match.

Sign up is 0900, and we shoot at 1000. Usually done around 1300. Great mix of older and young shooters, some kids shoot too.

The first Saturday is a carbine/rifle match of moving and shooting. Lots of fun. Bring 150 rounds of ammo, several magazines, and I suggest a sling on your gun. You can shoot optic or iron sights. No target is farther than 25 yards or so.

Cost is $25 and beginners are welcome with open arms. The carbine matches have stages with transitions from rifle to handgun and vice versa, but you can shoot just a rifle, just a pistol, or both, depending on the scenario.

Search “Texas Tactical carbine IDPA Cedar Ridge” on YouTube. Here is a pretty good example I found of a couple guys having some fun shooting the match on a cold January day...

https://youtu.be/uFGYDn_CQLg

Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 10-30-19 at 17:13.

Feedback Score
    thanks so much, Appreciate it!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Ask a VC.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    If you are looking for an opportunity to shoot that new blaster in a fun match, check out the IDPA match held on the first Saturday of every month at Cedar Ridge Range on FM1863 in Bulverde. You can shoot those green tips to n the match.

Sign up is 0900, and we shoot at 1000. Usually done around 1300. Great mix of older and young shooters, some kids shoot too.

The first Saturday is a carbine/rifle match of moving and shooting. Lots of fun. Bring 150 rounds of ammo, several magazines, and I suggest a sling on your gun. You can shoot optic or iron sights. No target is farther than 25 yards or so.

Cost is $25 and beginners are welcome with open arms. The carbine matches have stages with transitions from rifle to handgun and vice versa, but you can shoot just a rifle, just a pistol, or both, depending on the scenario.

Search “Texas Tactical carbine IDPA Cedar Ridge” on YouTube. Here is a pretty good example I found of a couple guys having some fun shooting the match on a cold January day...

https://youtu.be/uFGYDn_CQLg

WOW,

Found this

http://www.cedarridgerange.com/IDPA_..._Tactical.html

I saw the Youtube video, those guys are pro's! I'll needs baby steps but I'll get there! I'll feel kinda weird cause I'll need to start all over again!

thanks for the invite and great info, I havent shot an AR since the 80's so I'm green as can be so I'll need a few pointed and reminders when I get out there, Hope there are some helping hands,

Thanks

Michael
    San Antonio!
    Last edited by Patriotne12; 10-30-19 at 22:52.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    IMHO, 90 rounds (three loaded 30 rd mags) of home defense ammo on hand is adequate. No need to spend a fortune stocking up on HD ammo initially. Limiting your initial purchase to 120 rounds (90 to load, 30 to confirm zero and function) allows you to pick a premium round for defense.

I'm not qualified to argue OTM vs bonded soft points, but any 55gr+ soft, hollow, or open tip ammo is superior to ball ammo for home defense.

I use brass cased M193 (55gr 5.56 ball) for general purpose shooting - it seems to offer the most "bang for the buck". Brass cased .223 55gr fmj is fine too. Green Tip/M855 (62gr FMJ/penetrator) doesn't bring anything to the table for me, although I will buy and shoot it when the price is right.

I am paranoid and like to keep 800+ rounds of M193 on hand.

Andy

P.S. I'm sure you are aware of this, but your 6920 has 1/7" twist rifling and will stabilize 50 to 77 grain bullets. Colt SOCOM barrels have an excellent accuracy reputation, and you picked a fine carbine.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-31-19 at 02:46.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast