Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: new to this forum and newbie question! (what ammo for LE6920)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Ask a VC.
    And lots of people were killed by .22s and .30 carbines...or even 30 cal lead balls from front-stuffers. That doesn’t mean that will be my choice. Having seen the frequency of failure to stop with 55 gr FMJs from 5.56 first-hand on actual mammals, I’ll pass. There is a significant difference. If a better option is available to me, I will select it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    IMHO, 90 rounds (three loaded 30 rd mags) of home defense ammo on hand is adequate. No need to spend a fortune stocking up on HD ammo initially. Limiting your initial purchase to 120 rounds (90 to load, 30 to confirm zero and function) allows you to pick a premium round for defense.

I'm not qualified to argue OTM vs bonded soft points, but any 55gr+ soft, hollow, or open tip ammo is superior to ball ammo for home defense.

I use brass cased M193 (55gr 5.56 ball) for general purpose shooting - it seems to offer the most "bang for the buck". Brass cased .223 55gr fmj is fine too. Green Tip/M855 (62gr FMJ/penetrator) doesn't bring anything to the table for me, although I will buy and shoot it when the price is right.

I am paranoid and like to keep 800+ rounds of M193 on hand.

Andy

P.S. I'm sure you are aware of this, but your 6920 has 1/7" twist rifling and will stabilize 50 to 77 grain bullets. Colt SOCOM barrels have an excellent accuracy reputation, and you picked a fine carbine.
    Thanks for sharing the good info!

So you keep the 193 ball ammo on hand 800+

Just for info, with my socom barrel what 50-70 grain HD ammo would you pick fit the 3 mags at 30 rounds and 30 to confirm? Sorry but what is OTM!

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriotne12 View Post

Just for info, with my socom barrel what 50-70 grain HD ammo would you pick fit the 3 mags at 30 rounds and 30 to confirm? Sorry but what is OTM!

Thanks
    Go back and read your own thread. People have already answered your question as to what OTM is.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Ask a VC.
    So you have no data. Roger.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriotne12 View Post

Thanks
    OTM is Open Tip Match.

FWIW, I keep a few 30 round mags loaded with IMI 5.56 77gr OTM for defense. I picked them up because they were less costly than Black Hills 77gr OTM. Like I said, I am not qualified to advise or recommend HD ammo. Don't over think it, though.

I keep the ball ammo on hand in case I want/need to do high volume shooting without advance notice and to offset ammo shortages. Also for zombie attacks.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    .223 and 5.56 rifle ammunition has such velocity, energy, and effect that at close distances it's almost hard to make a bad choice. However, widely available data makes it easy to make better choices. Where unobstructed shots are expected and penetration of backstops and downrange hazards are of greatest concern, a lighter weight, lightly jacketed rapidly expanding varmint, OTM/HP, or some JSPs are a choice. If you expect barriers get stouter bullet construction like bonded SPs and copper solids, and certain heavier JSPs and OTMs.

Service ammunition in common use, subject to terminal ballistic testing, conducted to standard, and meeting recognized performance standards, offers the greatest flexibility and defenseability. Learn what your ammo does, to what, and when. Practice with it and place it accurately on target.

People use the label "M193" a lot. Remember that M193 is a particular round with an established specification and accountability. Most of what people call M193...isn't. It's 55 ball of some sort. I have used genuine and imitation M193, but learning occurred and I choose better.

Most manufacturer websites publish lab-grade gel shots and data on their LE/defense loads. Vista, Winchester, Hornady, Black Hills all have gel data online for viewing, and some will disclose more on particular rounds if you call and ask about a particular need.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    .223 and 5.56 rifle ammunition has such velocity, energy, and effect that at close distances it's almost hard to make a bad choice. However, widely available data makes it easy to make better choices. Where unobstructed shots are expected and penetration of backstops and downrange hazards are of greatest concern, a lighter weight, lightly jacketed rapidly expanding varmint, OTM/HP, or some JSPs are a choice. If you expect barriers get stouter bullet construction like bonded SPs and copper solids, and certain heavier JSPs and OTMs.

Service ammunition in common use, subject to terminal ballistic testing, conducted to standard, and meeting recognized performance standards, offers the greatest flexibility and defenseability. Learn what your ammo does, to what, and when. Practice with it and place it accurately on target.

People use the label "M193" a lot. Remember that M193 is a particular round with an established specification and accountability. Most of what people call M193...isn't. It's 55 ball of some sort. I have used genuine and imitation M193, but learning occurred and I choose better.

Most manufacturer websites publish lab-grade gel shots and data on their LE/defense loads. Vista, Winchester, Hornady, Black Hills all have gel data online for viewing, and some will disclose more on particular rounds if you call and ask about a particular need.
    Concur. I couldn’t have said it better.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    Go back and read your own thread. People have already answered your question as to what OTM is.

My bad, I'm a little slow in my ole age,

Really appreciate it!

Thanks Andy!

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post

What a great response and thanks for all the good info!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    So you have no data. Roger.
    I've seen the forensics on a couple of 55 grain ball shootings, both fatalities. Including x rays. 55 grain ball exhibits great fragmentation and adequate penetration before fragmentation. Makes very nasty damage.

Feedback Score
    I've seen the forensics on a couple of 55 grain ball shootings, both fatalities. Including x rays. 55 grain ball exhibits great fragmentation and adequate penetration before fragmentation. Makes very nasty damage.
    So you’ve seen some anecdotal evidence. Cool. You should also look at the anecdotal evidence of times the 55 gr ball shit the bed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast