Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here and newbie question! (needs optic for a LE6920)

Feedback Score

New here and newbie question! (needs optic for a LE6920)

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, I have a Colt LE6920 Socom 16" barrel with the KAC rails! I havent shot a AR since my military days in the 80's I was a military cop and we had the left over M16's from the Vietnam war I suppose!

I will be practicing with my Colt to get back in sync!

I would like a good scope for close quarters and maybe 100-200 yards! I am looking at the Steiner p4xi 1-4, AimPoint Pro, I do like the sights on the Steiner!

Question what would be a good mount for either, the thing is the Colt has the fixed front sight and have no clue on optics being never had one being then we only used fixed Iron sights! When I looked at mounts they have so many variations, I believe the I would need a 30m mount? but as for height I have no clue and with the fixed front sight on the Colt do I need to get a certain height and will the fixed sight hamper looking through the scope! Sorry for dumb questions but look to you pro's for advice!

Thanks all!

San Antonio Texas here!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The Aimpoint PRO and Steiner P4Xi are both good choices for a general use carbine. I would suggest that you look through a PRO before you buy because, like most other red dots, astigmatism can be a problem. The Steiner shouldn’t have that issue because the dot is the tip of an optical fiber. The P4Xi has an excellent reticle that is auto ranging and matches the flight of 68/69gr 5.56 closely to 600yds with a 16” barrel. The PRO’s strong suit is being able to be left turned on all the time, so it might be a better choice for home defense.

For mounts, I’ve tried a few with my P4Xi and my Aimpoints. I’ve settled on the ADM Recon High 30mm 1.9” for my magnified optics, because I like the height and how it mounts to the picatinny, and Larue 1.7” lower 1/3 cowitness flip lever mounts for my Aimpoints, because I like the security of the lever and the height of the dot. Fixed front sight is a non-issue with either optic, and most of my AR’s have one. In fact, I very much prefer to have one with an Aimpoint, and I don’t notice it when I’m using a low power variable.

You can also consider a flip to side magnifier/Aimpoint combo.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score

Cool Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    The Aimpoint PRO and Steiner P4Xi are both good choices for a general use carbine. I would suggest that you look through a PRO before you buy because, like most other red dots, astigmatism can be a problem. The Steiner shouldn’t have that issue because the dot is the tip of an optical fiber. The P4Xi has an excellent reticle that is auto ranging and matches the flight of 68/69gr 5.56 closely to 600yds with a 16” barrel. The PRO’s strong suit is being able to be left turned on all the time, so it might be a better choice for home defense.

For mounts, I’ve tried a few with my P4Xi and my Aimpoints. I’ve settled on the ADM Recon High 30mm 1.9” for my magnified optics, because I like the height and how it mounts to the picatinny, and Larue 1.7” lower 1/3 cowitness flip lever mounts for my Aimpoints, because I like the security of the lever and the height of the dot. Fixed front sight is a non-issue with either optic, and most of my AR’s have one. In fact, I very much prefer to have one with an Aimpoint, and I don’t notice it when I’m using a low power variable.

You can also consider a flip to side magnifier/Aimpoint combo.

Thanks for the great response!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I agree that it is a great response.

I do want to point out that the Aimpoint Pro comes with a serviceable mount, so you don't need to buy anything else to use it on your Colt.

Andy

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    There are a number of options.

For Red Dots, the Aimpoint Pro is hard to beat. Look at purchasing from Geissele, as for the same price you get it with their superior mount rather than the Aimpoint mount - it is useable but the HUGE knob can snag on things.

For Optics, in addition the Steiner, look at the Vortex PST Gen 2 1-6x24. It weighs a little more but gives you more magnification for around the same price.

You'll see the fixed front sight when set on 1-2x, but from 3-6x, you won't see it at all.

For mount height for scopes, I would go with a 1.5" single piece mount to push the scope far enough forward for sufficient eye relief.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I agree that it is a great response.

I do want to point out that the Aimpoint Pro comes with a serviceable mount, so you don't need to buy anything else to use it on your Colt.

Andy
    Thanks Andy,

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    There are a number of options.

For Red Dots, the Aimpoint Pro is hard to beat. Look at purchasing from Geissele, as for the same price you get it with their superior mount rather than the Aimpoint mount - it is useable but the HUGE knob can snag on things.

For Optics, in addition the Steiner, look at the Vortex PST Gen 2 1-6x24. It weighs a little more but gives you more magnification for around the same price.

You'll see the fixed front sight when set on 1-2x, but from 3-6x, you won't see it at all.

For mount height for scopes, I would go with a 1.5" single piece mount to push the scope far enough forward for sufficient eye relief.
    Thanks Rhino,

So is the front fixed Colt sight annoying at CQ x1-2

Thanks

RHINOWSO,

There price with a better mount is great but out of stock, the price is better then other selling for the same or higher with the regular mount!

Nice, Thanks for the heads up! No which one, lol oh the dilemma Steiner or AP Pro,

https://geissele.com/aimpointr-pro-b...mount-841.html

Feedback Score
    I'm in the same situation as I need an optic for my Colt LE6944. I have a question regarding 1st focal plane versus 2nd focal plane. After looking at a good number of scopes with 1x4 magnification, would I be correct to conclude that all 1-X scopes are 2nd focal plane? Is it even possible to have a 1st focal plane 1-X scope?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    would I be correct to conclude that all 1-X scopes are 2nd focal plane? Is it even possible to have a 1st focal plane 1-X scope?
    No you would not.

The Kahles K16i 1-6x is 2nd focal plane

The Nightforce NX8 1-8x is 1st focal plane.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I'm in the same situation as I need an optic for my Colt LE6944. I have a question regarding 1st focal plane versus 2nd focal plane. After looking at a good number of scopes with 1x4 magnification, would I be correct to conclude that all 1-X scopes are 2nd focal plane? Is it even possible to have a 1st focal plane 1-X scope?
    Need an entirely different thread to go over FFP and SFP.
    Colt Armorer Course, 2004
    Remington Factory LE Armorer School (870, 1187, and 700), 2008, 2013
    Remington 870 LE Armorer course, 2017
    Specialized Armament M16 / M4 / AR-15® Advanced Armorer Course, 2012, 2016
    Glock Armorer Course, 2012, 2016
    S&W M&P 15 Armorer Course, 2013, 2019

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've concluded I much prefer SFP on LPVs and FFP on higher powered scopes. Although I'd probably make an exception for the NX8.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast