Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Re-Anodizing after engraving lower

Feedback Score
    Lots of good advice here. Along the same line, for those building 80% lowers that are already anodized, what do you do with the machined trigger pocket area after you finish? Do you leave it in the white bare aluminium or do you coat it somehow? I've run across some 80% lowers that once machined, I would want the entire lower refinished.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    Lots of good advice here. Along the same line, for those building 80% lowers that are already anodized, what do you do with the machined trigger pocket area after you finish? Do you leave it in the white bare aluminium or do you coat it somehow? I've run across some 80% lowers that once machined, I would want the entire lower refinished.
    I tape it off and hit the inside with aluma hyde.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    That makes sense, and from my limited knowledge of anodizing, to remove it also removes some of the aluminum surface with it prior to re-anodizing. The problem with coating just the lower would be a coat of the upper as well. Something I hadn't planned on doing.
    Well yes, but that's what I was alluding to by saying "someone who knows what they are doing". If done properly the amount removed is so small you'd never notice. Anodize builds up on the surface AND penetrates into the substrate to varying ratios depending on type. For close tolerance features in a lower, the only thing I can think of that would be concerning is the trigger pin holes. If I were doing it, I'd plug them and not etch or reanodize them at all to make sure no surprises could happen. Nothing else on a lower matters if you remove .001" which would be about the max unless someone did something really stupid like falling asleep while they were in the etch tank.

ETA: OBTW, I like your screen name. My dad got to play on OH58s a fair bit back in the day...
    Last edited by shadowrider; 10-29-19 at 15:53.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrider View Post
    ETA: OBTW, I like your screen name. My dad got to play on OH58s a fair bit back in the day...
    The 58 Delta was my last aircraft, which I flew for 5 years. The OH-6, MH-6, AH-6 in various configurations and upgrades I flew for 15 years.

FYI -during the mid 1980's I carried a well-used XM177E2 in my aircraft, which had a tendency to pop off two rounds from time to time with one trigger pull. Never knew when, but the weapon never failed me. I wish I still had it....
    Last edited by OH58D; 10-29-19 at 17:15.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123