Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sudden failure to feed

Feedback Score

Sudden failure to feed

I have a Daniel Defense DDXV that is all stock except furniture. It has been reliable until recently when it suddenly developed a failure to feed. The bolt stops after pushing the round forward just enough for the bullet to be about half way up the feed ramps. See attached photos. This also happens when trying to chamber a round by pulling the charging handle back and letting it go. Sometimes repeating this will finish loading the cartridge, sometimes not. It happens with different magazines and ammo. I took it down for inspection and cleaning but don't see an obvious problem. The bolt moves freely with no cartridges present in the magazine.

I hope those here with more knowledge than me have some suggestions. Thanks in advance.

20191028_171506.jpg20191028_171545.jpg
    Last edited by CHX77; 10-28-19 at 20:30. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CHX77 View Post
    I have a Daniel Defense DDXV that is all stock except furniture. It has been reliable until recently when it suddenly developed a failure to feed. The bolt stops after pushing the round forward just enough for the bullet to be about half way up the feed ramps. See attached photos. This also happens when trying to chamber a round by pulling the charging handle back and letting it go. Sometimes repeating this will finish loading the cartridge, sometimes not. It happens with different magazines and ammo. I took it down for inspection and cleaning but don't see an obvious problem. The bolts moves freely with no cartridges present in the magazine.

I hope those here with more knowledge than me have some suggestions. Thanks in advance.

20191028_171506.jpg20191028_171545.jpg
    Does this occur when firing, or only when loading?

Check your recoil spring and buffer for binding?

Lube thoroughly.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Does this occur when firing, or only when loading?

Check your recoil spring and buffer for binding?

Lube thoroughly.
    Yes, it happens firing or manually loading. The buffer and spring move freely and don't appear broken or badly worn. I wondered if the spring has become weak, but didn't think that would happen suddenly.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Change it (buffer spring) and eliminate that part of the equation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Change it (buffer spring) and eliminate that part of the equation.
    Agree. Ordered one from DD. There's no place local to pick one up.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Are there marks on the bullet where it is contacting the feed ramps, like the bullet is wedging at that point?

I had a BM that started having a similar issue all of a sudden. I broke the edges and lightly polished the ramps and the problem went away. Dont know why it suddenly started, but it hasn't ever done it again after some light attention.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Are there marks on the bullet where it is contacting the feed ramps, like the bullet is wedging at that point?

I had a BM that started having a similar issue all of a sudden. I broke the edges and lightly polished the ramps and the problem went away. Dont know why it suddenly started, but it hasn't ever done it again after some light attention.
    There are two parallel very light scratches on the bullet that appear to be from the edges of the ramps. My logic (possibly flawed) says that there shouldn't suddenly be new sharp edges on a well broken-in firearm. I do appreciate any ideas though. Thank you for that. I'll see what a new spring does and go from there.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CHX77 View Post
    There are two parallel very light scratches on the bullet that appear to be from the edges of the ramps. My logic (possibly flawed) says that there shouldn't suddenly be new sharp edges on a well broken-in firearm. I do appreciate any ideas though. Thank you for that. I'll see what a new spring does and go from there.
    I thought the same thing. Why would those edges be a problem after so many rounds. Try the new buffer and spring, you can always go back to the ramps later.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Does this occur with several/all mags?

The bullet scoring may indicate a feed angle problem, if it “suddenly” became a thing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Does this occur with several/all mags?

The bullet scoring may indicate a feed angle problem, if it “suddenly” became a thing.
    I've tried two 10-round and four 30-round magazines and all had the same results. They're all Magpul as that's all I have right now. One of those 30 round magazines ran fine just before the problem started. As far as I can tell, they all seem to be seating into the lower receiver properly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast