Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2 o'clock Ejection Unsupressed

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Colt did get it right. When changes made to the system resulted in the extractor spring being overwhelmed, Colt responded and fixed the problem. When the M4 was pushed to its limits in combat (remember, the M4 was originally intended to be used as a PDW for troops in the rear, not for high volume fire) and the extractor once again was overwhelmed, Colt responded with the current spring. Which fixed the problem. However, Colt had a hard time convincing the military to use the new spring because it introduced another part number into the supply system. The military's answer was to use an O ring, a part that flattens & disintegrates from use. Fortunately, Colt finally convinced the military to adopt the new spring and drop the old one from the inventory as the new spring works in all AR configurations. I have first hand experience fixing problematic ARs by simply installing a Colt extractor spring. Before I learned about Colt springs, I had continuing extraction issues, even after installing a new generic spring.

I recommend Colt springs because I have first hand experience using them. I.G. told me that Sionics uses the Sprinco spring and its reliable and durable. I don't have first hand experience with Sprinco springs, but I trust I.G. and am comfortable recommending Sprinco springs as well.

Bottom line: Use a Colt extractor spring.
    I have done a ton of experimenting with various small springs. I prefer the Colt ejector spring, and either Ken Elmoor SAW (green) spring, or the Colt extractor spring. Both perform identically, but per SAW/Ken, the SAW spring is better/longer lasting. I have tested corrosion resistance of it, as well as the Sprinco variant, and the Colt, and it does not corrode readily. The Sprinco corrodes very readily, and the colt is in the middle, leaning toward the SAW end of the spectrum. Ejector spring problems manifest with weak "brass dribbling out" symptoms, and can even cause the extractor to hold onto the case long enough that it shoves it into the front of hte port, as the casing is hit by the returning BCG it remained on the bolt face so long, and stove-pipes the gun.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    How does the strength compare between the gold, green and sprinco extractor springs?

Note: Sprinco makes 4 coil and 5 coil variants of the extractor spring and the 5 coil seems to be the most popular.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I have done a ton of experimenting with various small springs. I prefer the Colt ejector spring, and either Ken Elmoor SAW (green) spring, or the Colt extractor spring. Both perform identically, but per SAW/Ken, the SAW spring is better/longer lasting. I have tested corrosion resistance of it, as well as the Sprinco variant, and the Colt, and it does not corrode readily. The Sprinco corrodes very readily, and the colt is in the middle, leaning toward the SAW end of the spectrum. Ejector spring problems manifest with weak "brass dribbling out" symptoms, and can even cause the extractor to hold onto the case long enough that it shoves it into the front of hte port, as the casing is hit by the returning BCG it remained on the bolt face so long, and stove-pipes the gun.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    How does the strength compare between the gold, green and sprinco extractor springs?

Note: Sprinco makes 4 coil and 5 coil variants of the extractor spring and the 5 coil seems to be the most popular.
    I did not have a way to quantify spring stiffness aside from "mashing it with my fingers", however, I used 240fps video to see what effect they had on ejection pattern, and could discern none, nor did I have any failures with either. The Colt spring "felt" the stiffest, while the SAW wasn't weak by any means, it wasn't quite has hard to compress. The Sprinco I didn't mess with much to be honest. It corroded very easily in my testing, and it's not like the other two have an issue of performance, so I biased my interest toward them heavily for this reason.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I will be adding this information to my notes
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234