Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 o'clock Ejection Unsupressed

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    @MistWolf, I'm not saying you're wrong or colt spring is bad. Just my thoughts here.
    If I recall correctly BCM spring was created for or based on SOCOM MK18 design. Might be 100% wrong here. Bad batch of springs can also be a problem. Personally, I don't put too much faith in Colt extractor spring simply because they had at least 5-6 different design iterations over the last 50 years and couldn't get it right first, second, or third time. It took them 50 years to get it right... maybe. Or maybe they'll get it "right" the next time.

Feedback Score
    Ammo is XM193
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    @MistWolf, I'm not saying you're wrong or colt spring is bad. Just my thoughts here.
    If I recall correctly BCM spring was created for or based on SOCOM MK18 design. Might be 100% wrong here. Bad batch of springs can also be a problem. Personally, I don't put too much faith in Colt extractor spring simply because they had at least 5-6 different design iterations over the last 50 years and couldn't get it right first, second, or third time. It took them 50 years to get it right... maybe. Or maybe they'll get it "right" the next time.
    I know nothing about BCM extractor springs, but Colt springs work. They work while you eat green eggs and ham. They work while you are in a car. They work while you are shooting at a car. They work in Mk18s, M4s, and M16s. I recommend them to anyone having any sort of problem. For over 10 years, I have preemptively installed Colt extractors and springs in my rifles, and many rifles I’ve been issued had them, of course. I’ve only recently begun to trust the springs that come in Sionics and LMT bolts and leave them alone, because I’m superstitious about that sort of thing, thanks to an armorer that tried to turn me into a nerd. But, bottom line, I’ve been happily using Colt extractors and springs for much longer than I’ve been able to maintain any two marriages.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Sionics and SOLGW use springco 5 coil spring in their bcg's. They are gtg IME

I believe forward control design sells them pretty cheap

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    Colt did get it right. When changes made to the system resulted in the extractor spring being overwhelmed, Colt responded and fixed the problem. When the M4 was pushed to its limits in combat (remember, the M4 was originally intended to be used as a PDW for troops in the rear, not for high volume fire) and the extractor once again was overwhelmed, Colt responded with the current spring. Which fixed the problem. However, Colt had a hard time convincing the military to use the new spring because it introduced another part number into the supply system. The military's answer was to use an O ring, a part that flattens & disintegrates from use. Fortunately, Colt finally convinced the military to adopt the new spring and drop the old one from the inventory as the new spring works in all AR configurations. I have first hand experience fixing problematic ARs by simply installing a Colt extractor spring. Before I learned about Colt springs, I had continuing extraction issues, even after installing a new generic spring.

I recommend Colt springs because I have first hand experience using them. I.G. told me that Sionics uses the Sprinco spring and its reliable and durable. I don't have first hand experience with Sprinco springs, but I trust I.G. and am comfortable recommending Sprinco springs as well.

Bottom line: Use a Colt extractor spring.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-30-19 at 08:06.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Ammo is XM193
    That ammo is going to yield a lot of Bolt speed. I won't shoot any of it in my guns. When I do get some of that stuff, I pull it down and use the powder in a reduced load for blaster ammo.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    XM193 works fine in my ARs, even those I shoot suppressed. The Colt SOCOM uses the factory gas port.

I am American

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    OP,

Do you have any case head swipe?
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Regarding my comment on XM193- The SOCOM is never shot suppressed. The ARs I shoot suppressed are shorties.

I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    OP,

Do you have any case head swipe?
    What do you mean?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast