Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 14.5 LW Carbine - DD or BCM - Best Quality

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If you still haven't decided... You can try reaching out to Centurion Arms, they might have some discount for M4C members and might be able to accommodate your request if you have a need for a particular muzzle device. Not guaranteed, but they are very responsive and accommodating.

I would personally avoid BCM comp on 14.5" upper - there are too many threads on here and other forums basically saying it's neither good at compensation (axial stabilization) nor muzzle flash reduction. Some reports have other concerns as well. It really sucks to have it pinned only to find out you don't like it. With A2 (or A2X) at least you're buying a known entity with a good flash reduction. At least you can live with it without being annoyed every time you shoot.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My buddy had a bcm comp on his rifle. It was blasty and did almost nothing for muzzle climb or recoil reduction. We shot my rifle with an a2, and his back to back. He took off the bcm comp and put an a2 on it

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    If you still haven't decided... You can try reaching out to Centurion Arms, they might have some discount for M4C members and might be able to accommodate your request if you have a need for a particular muzzle device. Not guaranteed, but they are very responsive and accommodating.

I would personally avoid BCM comp on 14.5" upper - there are too many threads on here and other forums basically saying it's neither good at compensation (axial stabilization) nor muzzle flash reduction. Some reports have other concerns as well. It really sucks to have it pinned only to find out you don't like it. With A2 (or A2X) at least you're buying a known entity with a good flash reduction. At least you can live with it without being annoyed every time you shoot.
    I’ve looked in to this a lot and I’m convinced people that report those things are misinformed or uneducated on them and here’s why;

Some people get the BCM comp expecting it to be a full on brake. They are then disappointed by it not performing like a brake for recoil control.

Some people buy them expecting them to perform like a Vortex flash hider and are upset when they aren’t the best at flash suppression.

You can’t avoid physics and flash suppressor/comp hybrids move on a scale. You can’t get awesome flash suppression AND comp/brake performance. Think of it on a slider scale. If you move towards compensation, you are moving away from flash suppression.

The BCM comp is a hybrid but skewed towards flash suppression. You get 25% less recoil compared to an A2 at the expense of a little more flash.

Something like a battlecomp is a hybrid but skewed towards compensation at the expense of more flash and concussion.

Want a badass brake to where the gun doesn’t move? Surefire SFMB but you are going to get fireballs and massive concussion.

Want awesome flash suppression but 0 compensation? Vortex flash hider or A2.

Or pick something in the middle but understand it’s a give and take.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

14.5 LW Carbine - DD or BCM - Best Quality

Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    On the DD? About 200 rounds, so not much. I think he had around 1000 total on the rifle before my time with it. I've only shot PRVI m193 through it, and it ran great, but I can't say how it would run on cheaper, lower powered ammo.

Apparently the stock trigger was garbage. The SSA in the gun now was of course perfectly fine.
    Sorry, should have clarified - the Triarc.

Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    I’ve looked in to this a lot and I’m convinced people that report those things are misinformed or uneducated on them and here’s why;

Some people get the BCM comp expecting it to be a full on brake. They are then disappointed by it not performing like a brake for recoil control.

Some people buy them expecting them to perform like a Vortex flash hider and are upset when they aren’t the best at flash suppression.

You can’t avoid physics and flash suppressor/comp hybrids move on a scale. You can’t get awesome flash suppression AND comp/brake performance. Think of it on a slider scale. If you move towards compensation, you are moving away from flash suppression.

The BCM comp is a hybrid but skewed towards flash suppression. You get 25% less recoil compared to an A2 at the expense of a little more flash.

Something like a battlecomp is a hybrid but skewed towards compensation at the expense of more flash and concussion.

Want a badass brake to where the gun doesn’t move? Surefire SFMB but you are going to get fireballs and massive concussion.

Want awesome flash suppression but 0 compensation? Vortex flash hider or A2.

Or pick something in the middle but understand it’s a give and take.
    Agreed. You’ll definitely hear and feel the BCM comp, especially if you’re standing off to the side. I’ve never noticed flash issues though (even in my limited low light shooting) and the few videos I’ve seen in low light look pretty good. It is more blasty than an A2 but I feel that it does a far better job at reducing recoil, better than my closed tine WarComp and FCD 6315, much less an A2.

ETA - also I’m pretty sure Centurion doesn’t p/w.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Sorry, should have clarified - the Triarc.

Agreed. You’ll definitely hear and feel the BCM comp, especially if you’re standing off to the side. I’ve never noticed flash issues though (even in my limited low light shooting) and the few videos I’ve seen in low light look pretty good. It is more blasty than an A2 but I feel that it does a far better job at reducing recoil, better than my closed tine WarComp and FCD 6315, much less an A2.

ETA - also I’m pretty sure Centurion doesn’t p/w.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ll find out for sure tomorrow because I’m shooting my 14.5 with BCM comp for the first time. I did a lot of reading and I have a 14.7 colt with a2 to compare it too.

If it’s too loud, ADCO will take it off for $40 so I wanted to try one.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    I’ll find out for sure tomorrow because I’m shooting my 14.5 with BCM comp for the first time. I did a lot of reading and I have a 14.7 colt with a2 to compare it too.

If it’s too loud, ADCO will take it off for $40 so I wanted to try one.
    I try muzzle devices on a 16" before I pin one, if I don't like it on a 16" there no way it be better on 14.5".
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I own both, would recommend the DD over the BCM. The DD is more accurate, is not over gassed no matter what anyone says, has a regular A2 style flash hider, pinned gas block. The furniture is personal, I am odd guy out, but I like DD furniture just fine. Price is the nearly the same. I can’t tell the balance difference between the two, they weigh exactly the same.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    First off, I commend you for "trimming back" to the necessities. I wish I could minimalize my arsenal but with the many hats I wear that is hard to do now. If I could do it all over again, I could have saved a lot of money and not be in need of a bigger safe.

You cannot go wrong with either BCM or Daniel Defense. Of the two, I will echo what others have said and opt for BCM based solely on price. My patrol rifle is a complete 11.5" KMR BCM and it has served me well. I have had no issues with it and any changes to it at this point would be chasing minutiae.

If you do go for the BCM, I would look into their extended A2X instead of their compensator. I think a flash suppressor makes more sense on a general do-all carbine than a compensator.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Every other AR barrel I have shoots better than my BCMs, so I would go DD for sure.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would never want a permed comp, regardless of how little claimed concussion and flash there is, on my only rifle.

I’d want a pinned gasblock.

Of the two I’d buy the DD.

My unsolicited opinion? One is none and two is one. Buy two glocks no question.

I’d realistically buy two rifles as well, even if they are set up identified or one is not set up with accessories and stays in the box.

For a rifle I’d use the Geissle USA-soc upper. It fits your 14.5” pinned and has a better muzzle device and imo rail. The barrel is DD 14.5 mid Put it on a BCM lower. (I would have said 280$ colt lower from brownells but those days are over) maybe wait for the geissele complete rifle?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast