Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VA Special Elections 2019

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

VA Special Elections 2019

Haven't seen anything posted about this yet, so with about a week to go, I figured I would since we have a lot of VA members here.
    Seems to me like a lot of D's running with not a whole lot of pushback; at least not in the public sphere. Seems like every time I turn on the local TV channels it's an endless parade of Dem tickets each commercial break.
    Of course, going off TV commercials isn't always a valid indicator, so...

How bad does it look like we're going to get hammered right now, since we've got a whopping 2-seat advantage going in?
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    Probably not looking good. I think it was a VCDL posting recently that said about 2 dozen seats have D's running without R opposition. That means the R's have to win every race they are in. Not likely.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    As jack_crab says, we're likely screwed. Nick Freitas isn't even on the ballot in his district because he missed the deadline to declare, and so is having to run a write-in campaign.

All of those commercials you're seeing are likely paid for with Bloomberg money, as from what I've read they've spent north of $5 million on campaign ads this election.

And if the Dems win, and do everything they're promising to do during the campaign, VA gun laws will look more like NY within the next year or two. No standard capacity mags, an NY style semi-auto rifle ban, no suppressors, and no grandfathering.

The law that got shut down this summer even included a ban on "any part of combination of parts that could be used to construct and assault firearm."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    As jack_crab says, we're likely screwed. Nick Freitas isn't even on the ballot in his district because he missed the deadline to declare, and so is having to run a write-in campaign.

All of those commercials you're seeing are likely paid for with Bloomberg money, as from what I've read they've spent north of $5 million on campaign ads this election.

And if the Dems win, and do everything they're promising to do during the campaign, VA gun laws will look more like NY within the next year or two. No standard capacity mags, an NY style semi-auto rifle ban, no suppressors, and no grandfathering.

The law that got shut down this summer even included a ban on "any part of combination of parts that could be used to construct and assault firearm."
    Their frequent talking point is "give us the majority and within minutes, it will be gun control dreamland."

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jack crab View Post
    Their frequent talking point is "give us the majority and within minutes, it will be gun control dreamland."
    Yep, that and "We are going to make Virginia a new state!" Ugh..

Feedback Score
    Which is why I didn`t move back to VA when I had the chance a while back , even though my family roots go back to the mid 1800`s in the Roanoke Valley. Really sad to see the state I love going the way it`s going .
    I haven`t lived there for quite a while ..... you current Virginians , is it Northern VA driving this as I seem to remember that SW VA was/is still pretty conservative , but doesn`t have the population the northern parts do .

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    ...And if the Dems win, and do everything they're promising to do during the campaign, VA gun laws will look more like NY within the next year or two. No standard capacity mags, an NY style semi-auto rifle ban, no suppressors, and no grandfathering.
    Yeah, I saw the utter shitshow of laws they intend to toss out the last couple times they tried that shit. Given that they keep talking about "resuming the special committee on gun violence" I have a high suspicion this will be Cali 5 minutes after they get elected, if it's a sweep this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jack crab View Post
    Probably not looking good. I think it was a VCDL posting recently that said about 2 dozen seats have D's running without R opposition. That means the R's have to win every race they are in. Not likely.
    Ah, well... that would explain the endless parade of adverts for Dems...
    And maybe Bloomberg influence as TX posted, although I sort of automatically assume that for everything, since him and Soros are blatantly on "that" side.

Quote Originally Posted by 63Qcode View Post
    ...I haven`t lived there for quite a while ..... you current Virginians , is it Northern VA driving this as I seem to remember that SW VA was/is still pretty conservative , but doesn`t have the population the northern parts do .
    Perhaps, although I have been watching the one major town near me go further and further left every year for the past few, and it's been a pretty rural town.
    It's the college influence really, but I'm sure that's simply the case where I'm near and not everywhere in rural VA.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    Sounds like you are near either Charlottesville or Blacksburg Jellybean. The direction Tech has gone is why I haven`t given the Alumni Fund anything for years . I also used to live outside of Charlottesville back in the day and except for the immediate area around UVA , it was still pretty conservative . When I say back in the day , I was there when they were just starting construction of the Interstate to Tidewater in the Shadwell area .

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post

Perhaps, although I have been watching the one major town near me go further and further left every year for the past few, and it's been a pretty rural town.
    It's the college influence really, but I'm sure that's simply the case where I'm near and not everywhere in rural VA.
    I've noticed the same, here in SW VA. The districts that include the local college & university are invariably pretty blue, with the surrounding districts tending to be more conservative.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    All I can say is the big igloo in VA finnabe lit if this goes through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast