Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: BRT EZTUNE Gas Tubes

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Hard chrome has good lubricity and does not gall easily. Unless the nitride is harder than the chrome I do not see why it would cause accelerated wear. Grit embedding in the nitrided gas tube could be less than an uncoated tube, which would reduce wear on the gas key rather than increase it.
    Last edited by Disciple; 09-15-21 at 14:35.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I think it's about the same at around 67 Rockwell C. Which means that the chrome would wear at the same rate as the gas tube, exposing the softer substrate, vs a normal gas tube presumably at around 30 HRC, or softer.
    Hard Chrome does have a higher working temp. In barrels with heavy firing schedules it has absolutely proven to be more durable. However for lower temp applications it's a wash. However these are not chrome plated gas tubes, they are stainless steel which has a very small amount of chromium in the alloy. There's a notable difference between stainless and chrome plate surfaces.

I actually have a NiB gas key, it was my intention to create as low of friction in the BCG as possible by using a NiB BCG and bolt to facilitate the use of a reliable lower mass BCG / buffer config. Last time I tested it, I fired 1,500 rounds without cleaning or lube using a 8.5oz BCG (typical low mass) with a JP SCS set up for H1 weight and their default spring. Very light recoil, close to a race gun, but was much more reliable.

I did this with Adams Arms piston gas system and their NiB carriers before they stopped production. I am now in the process of testing the same concept applied to my DI uppers, but I am only at 550 rounds thus far with the 6.8 SPC upper and 450 rounds on the 5.56 upper. I just had an issue with my SLR Sentry 7 starting to leak pretty significantly around the detent and metering screw, so I ordered some BRT EZ Tune gas tubes as a possibly more reliable alternative for my 6.8 SPC upper (pairing them with some Sentry 7 non-adjustable blocks cause they were cheap and seem to have excellent production tolerances). Adjustable gas blocks are just leaky, period.

The Sentry 7 adjustable has so far held up fine on the 5.56 training upper, but if the concept works well on the 6.8 upper I may just switch over both. Once you know where a particular setup needs to be gassed, unless you go from suppressed to un-suppressed, there's really no longer a need for adjustment. I don't shoot import ammo on either, so I have no requirement to run on low port pressures.

The primary reason for over gassing is 1. import ammunition or weak loads 2. reliability under adverse conditions. However we can remedy #2 to some degree by removing friction in the system, reducing the rate of fouling and the susceptibility of external contamination from increasing friction combined with regular lubrication.

Reduced gas flow (via a restriction) drops pressure and volume of gas, thus we automatically reduce the rate of fouling and heat so it works in our favor. Then we use high lubricity and high hardness plating wherever possible on the BCG. Also maximize the gas seal with gas rings. JP's are good but more leaky than GI spec in my testing, they favor low friction at the expense of some seal. Wilson Combats have similar friction to a 3 piece, but better seal and service life.

Lastly we can also reduction friction in the buffer tube by using the JP SCS system or other methods such as polished springs / honed buffer tubes (JP and other mfg's have those available as well). Buffer springs have friction against the tube and can oscillate, especially when you add in fine dust etc. More than most realize. I also like the ability to easily tune the mass to a particular gassing and swap SCS modules if I change uppers, so for me the SCS fits the bill but there are many good solutions.

But I digress, my question was about nitriding the EZ Tune gas tubes to possibly extend the service life. I believe a typical stainless mil-spec tube lasts around 7-10k on a 14-16" barreled upper. So these may well go past 5k on a mid-length, but it is a wear item similar to gas rings and given their quite hefty cost, it would be nice to maximize their service life.

Proper building techniques go a long way, but so do surface hardness treatments on wear items. Both the orifice and the nipple are wear areas on gas tubes.
    Last edited by win&legend; 09-16-21 at 12:46.

Feedback Score
    So when ordering for a p&w 13.7 with nox, do I pick 13.5, 13.9, or 16" I'm kinda clueless to that..

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    No need to overthink it.
    Just select 13.7 and mention anything special in the notes field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezmodromic View Post
    So when ordering for a p&w 13.7 with nox, do I pick 13.5, 13.9, or 16" I'm kinda clueless to that..
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Another happy customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The EZ Tune Gas Tube is fantastic!

It took a rifle that was ejecting at 12:30 to 01:00 o'Clock (way, way, way overgassed; even with an H3 buffer) and let me dial down the buffer to H1 w/ a stronger spring and now my ejection pattern is in the "sweet spot" at 3:30 to 04:00 O'Clock!

I have ordered two more of the EZ Tunes for my other two rifles so I can dial them down from 12:30 to 01:00 O'clock to the "sweet spot" of 03:00 to 03:30 O'clock.

I've got to say that a correctly/properly tuned AR is a real joy to shoot; to the point it seems like I'm cheating compared to 'strong arming' them on target & holding them there.

I'll tell anyone that will listen to get an EZ Tune gas tube, if they find their rifle is way too overgassed.

Thanks Black River Tactical,
    Black River Tactical

Feedback Score
    So can it generally be assumed that the EZ Gas Tube will be more durable than the gas port? We all know that gas ports open up over time, does the same occur in the gas tube?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yes and No.

The tube is much thinner than the barrel, but also further away from the bore.

Remember, port erosion in the barrel happens at the bore and really never gets to the OD of the barrel journal.

Theory aside, we've had Carbine length tubes tested over 5000 rounds without significant erosion.

1168, what are yours up to?

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    So can it generally be assumed that the EZ Gas Tube will be more durable than the gas port? We all know that gas ports open up over time, does the same occur in the gas tube?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    BTW, they last much longer than 5,000 rounds in my experience.
    Black River Tactical

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Yes and No.

Remember, port erosion in the barrel happens at the bore and really never gets to the OD of the barrel journal.

Theory aside, we've had Carbine length tubes tested over 5000 rounds without significant erosion.

I pulled a .061” (I think) one out of my 11.3” full-time suppressor host after ~10k rounds, and I did not see any appreciable wear inside the orifice. It honestly surprised me; that gun’s can’s blast baffle shows a good bit of wear. I put it in a different gun, since that gun is now unsuppressed. I think I put it in a 14.5”. I kinda wish I had measured it, instead of just looking at it. I would think that gun would be close to worse case scenario, being carbine gassed and fulltime suppressed.

Didn’t you have a picture of one on here somewhere that had taken a beating?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Yes and No.

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I pulled a .061” (I think) one out of my 11.3” full-time suppressor host after ~10k rounds, and I did not see any appreciable wear inside the orifice. It honestly surprised me; that gun’s can’s blast baffle shows a good bit of wear. I put it in a different gun, since that gun is now unsuppressed. I think I put it in a 14.5”. I kinda wish I had measured it, instead of just looking at it. I would think that gun would be close to worse case scenario, being carbine gassed and fulltime suppressed.

Didn’t you have a picture of one on here somewhere that had taken a beating?
    I guess when you think about it, the fact that the vast majority of the wear happens on the leading edge of the gas port in the barrel, you wouldn't expect to see much, if any at the gas tube orifice. If you do, it's likely because the barrel's gas port is eroded to the point where the barrel is completely shot out.

Obviously, nothing lasts forever, but I'd think these gas tubes would outlast the barrel by a fair margin, if we're just talking about the gas orifice that is. The bulb will wear out before the gas tube's port expands appreciably.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    EZTUNE Gas Tubes for LMT applications are back in stock!
    https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BR...MID-p148504128
    Black River Tactical

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast