Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: BRT EZTUNE Gas Tubes

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The hole in the gas block was about the same size as the supplied drill bit, it wasn't a sloppy fit at all but the drill bit slid in so no drilling required (large hole gas block?). There was no tap in my kit, the instructions were to drill the hole then thread the insert into the hole (insert maybe intended to thread as it went?). I did that, it got pushed up into the gas tube by about 14000lbs of pressure(ish) shutting off the gas to the BCG. Like I said, Clint took care of me, but I think the hole that takes the threaded insert should be properly threaded for the insert and it probably needs a shoulder of some sort to seat so it can't move.
    Last edited by LMT/556; 07-08-20 at 16:49.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Received and installed BRT Standard 10”-12” gas tube on my 11.5” BCM.
    With H2 and Sprinco Blue it tamed m193/mk262 nicely and locks back with Wolf Gold.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My 12.5” Kino was seriously overgassed with a can. I ordered and installed the dedicated suppressed carbine tube from BRT, installed a sprinco red spring and an H3 buffer and I now have perfect 4:00 ejection, soft recoil and less gas in my face. Just about perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    We get repeated questions regarding tuning for mixed suppressed use, which is actually the most involved scenario.

Here is a more detailed explanation.

A carbine tuned for mixed use can be very reliable, but certain operating combinations should be considered.

A suppressor adds significant gas drive.

A mixed tune splits the difference between ideal suppressed and unsuppressed gas drive.

Therefore, the gas drive is a little lower than ideal without the suppressor and a little more than ideal with the suppressor.

One way to partially compensate for this is to use a lighter buffer unsuppressed and a heaver buffer suppressed.

Another, generally less desirable way, is to use only hotter ammo unsuppressed and weaker ammo suppressed.

Swapping buffers is generally the best way to maintain a high reliability margin.

If swapping buffers is not possible or desirable, just run an H buffer full time and deal with the slightly increased cyclic rate while suppressed.

Good combination examples are:

Without the suppressor, a CAR or H buffer would be best and should run all brass ammo. Some steel case may not be 100%.

With the suppressor, an H2 or H3 buffer would be best and should run all ammo including steel case.

In all cases, a standard spring should be used as a starting point.

Variations withing this are certainly possible but should always follow the basic theme:

No Suppressor: Use lighter buffer / lighter spring / hotter ammo to offset the slightly low gas drive.

Suppressor: Use heavier buffer / heavier spring / weaker ammo to offset the slightly high gas drive.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post

Good combination examples are:

Without the suppressor, a CAR or H buffer would be best and should run all brass ammo. Some steel case may not be 100%.

With the suppressor, an H2 or H3 buffer would be best and should run all ammo including steel case.

In all cases, a standard spring should be used as a starting point.
    I understand what you're saying in the post, and it all makes sense, but how would this translate to the A5 system? Seems it should be more forgiving across the range of gas drive being discussed? I run an A5H2 buffer full time and usually with a suppressor, so would an A5H0 be a better option unsuppressed or is the A5 system forgiving enough that I wouldn't need the buffer swap (obviously given the same ammo and a reasonably clean rifle)?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yes,

Using A5H0 unsuppressed and A5H2 suppressed is a real good default with either the mil-spec rifle spring or Green rifle spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    I understand what you're saying in the post, and it all makes sense, but how would this translate to the A5 system? Seems it should be more forgiving across the range of gas drive being discussed? I run an A5H2 buffer full time and usually with a suppressor, so would an A5H0 be a better option unsuppressed or is the A5 system forgiving enough that I wouldn't need the buffer swap (obviously given the same ammo and a reasonably clean rifle)?
    Black River Tactical

Feedback Score
    I emailed Clint, but I figured I'd ask here as well. I'm looking for some anecdotal data on what gas tubes you've gotten to run on an 11.5?

I have a .070 spec'd 11.5. In my experience that port is a bit excessive as I'm easily locking back on empty with an A5H4 buffer with a Tubbs AR10 spring, unsuppressed. Using middle of the road pressure ammo. Given the weight of the buffer I'm able to run, I'm leaning towards the .067 gas tube, though I'm unsure how the size of the gas tube is actually equivalent to an even smaller barrel port.

Any data you can share is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by msnyder0609; 01-10-21 at 18:40.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I have .061” in mine. It’ll run any brass cased ammo that I’ve tried with an A5H4 and any Tubb spring or Colt spring with a 30 cal silencer. Won’t run at all unsuppressed. Normal diet is 62-69gr 556, but its eaten a thousand or so .223 55gr, also.

A buddy has .0625” in his, and it’ll cycle with M855 without a silencer, but we have not tested that very much. It eats all day with a silencer. 62gr 556 diet from day one.

Both guns had a ~.070” base port.

Quote Originally Posted by msnyder0609 View Post
    I emailed Clint, but I figured I'd ask here as well. I'm looking for some anecdotal data on what gas tubes you've gotten to run on an 11.5?

I have a .070 spec'd 11.5. In my experience that port is a bit excessive as I'm easily locking back on empty with an A5H4 buffer with a Tubbs AR10 spring. Using middle of the road pressure ammo. Given the weight of the buffer I'm able to run, I'm leaning towards the .067 gas tube, though I'm unsure how the size of the gas tube is actually equivalent to an even smaller barrel port.

Any data you can share is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by 1168; 01-10-21 at 18:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I have .061” in mine. It’ll run any brass cased ammo that I’ve tried with an A5H4 and any Tubb spring or Colt spring with a 30 cal silencer. Won’t run at all unsuppressed. Normal diet is 62-69gr 556, but its eaten a thousand or so .223 55gr, also.

A buddy has .0625” in his, and it’ll cycle with M855 without a silencer, but we have not tested that very much. It eats all day with a silencer. 62gr 556 diet from day one.

Both guns had a ~.070” base port.
    Thanks for the reply. I heard back from Clint as follows:

"The equivalent ports are about 002 smaller in this range, so an 067 tube is like an 065 barrel port, which is a nice size for mixed suppressed use.

If you looking for unsuppressed only, the 069 tube should work nicely."

.067 tube on the way!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Double Tap
    Black River Tactical

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast