Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FN SCAR 17s optic...

Feedback Score

FN SCAR 17s optic...

Looking for something in the 8x to 12x upper range that will be able to handle the recoil of the 17s.

I know asking about which glass to dress a rifle up with is going to bring in a ton of opinions, I do not mind that as long as it doesnt turn into a "my richard is bigger than yours" back and forth.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    It all depends what you want to do, of course.

A short list for starting:

Nightforce 1-8x
    Nightforce 2.5-10x
    Nightforce 2.5-20x
    Nightforce SHV 3-10x (on the budget end - but no mil/mil version is offered)
    EOTech Vudu 2.5-10x - very nice scope, underrated, but large and heavy compared to the NF of same magnification
    Bushnell LRHS or LRTS 3-12x44
    Vortex PST gen2 2-10x, but I would have the least confidence that this would endure the SCAR 17 recoil impulse
    SWFA SS 3-9x42 - also on the budget end, but a rugged scope that does the essentials

Feedback Score
    Thank you sir!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have had a leupold vx6 1-6 on mine for a while. It’s great. Nice glass, great eye box and super light weight.

I ordered a nightforce nx8 1-8 and will be testing it out this weekend. If I like it the plan is to put it on the Scar and move the vx6 to my 14.5” recce.

I tried the trijicon 1-8. I wasn’t sold on the first focal plane. But ultimately the size and weight of the optic combined with poor light transmission made me sell it right away. I’m hoping to like the nightforce but it certainly has been criticized plenty so we’ll see.

The real answer is you want a nightforce acatr 1-8. Is larger, heavier, and more expensive than the nx8, but reviews make it sound like it has pretty perfect glass and eye box. If I don’t like the nx8 I’ll sell it and eventually get the acatr.

Feedback Score
    Luepold Mk5 would be a solid choice also. Have a friend of mine who's kid was in one of the Ranger battalions, and did several tours in Afghanistan. His rig was an Scar 20 with a Mk5 on it.

Feedback Score
    Thank y'all

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have used a number of optics on my SCAR 17.

NXS 2.5-10x24 - Great optic on a great rifle, but I prefer an optic with a more generous eyebox on the 17

Vortex 1-6x24 PST Gen 2 - Enjoy the better eyebox of this optic over the NSX above.

Aimpoint M4S / Pro - Great RDS for the SCARs

Currently I have the M4S on my 17, as I put the 1-6 on my Colt CM762 to break it in.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Okay,

So I mounted my new NX8 1-8 on my SCAR17s this weekend. I'm going to keep it.

Pro's:
    Good clarity
    Good light transmission
    Useable reticle (moa)
    Very bright dot
    Small and light
    Nice turrets and build quality

Cons:
    Unforgiving eye box. This is big, and so hard to describe.

At 1x magnification it is still pretty quick. The edge to edge clarity and seemingly true 1x make picking up the reticle for quick snap shots tough but not impossible.

Once you start dialing in magnification the ease of picking up the reticle and getting into the eyebox goes down hill very quickly. At 3x, a level of magnification you can typically pick up targets very quickly with, it is very slow with this optic.

What I ultimately found is that you keep it on 1x, and if you need to dial in magnification get into a solid shooting position and dial it in. Secured and into the rifle the eye box is easier to deal with. I found myself using it either on 1x or 8x, the in between with the crappy eye box forgiveness was so slow it was pointless.

My impression from reviews is the actr in trade of price and size does not have the eye box issues.

If you don't need the 8x, i think the NXS 1-4 is a better scope for almost everything.

Feedback Score
    I have a Scar 17 SBR and it has a Primary Arms Platinum ACSS 1-8 on it. Primary Arms... I know , I know. But the platinum series ae a different animal. Its made in Japan by the same factory that makes Nightforce and others. It is heavy, but it is clear, has a great reticle, and is a relative bargain at 1300 bucks. I will be buying more of them for other medium range platforms.
    Damien

If a large number of people are willing to kill you for saying something, then it probably really needs to be said. .

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KTR03 View Post
    I have a Scar 17 SBR and it has a Primary Arms Platinum ACSS 1-8 on it. Primary Arms... I know , I know. But the platinum series ae a different animal. Its made in Japan by the same factory that makes Nightforce and others. It is heavy, but it is clear, has a great reticle, and is a relative bargain at 1300 bucks. I will be buying more of them for other medium range platforms.
    I have the same optic on my 16s and I’m a huge fan. The only downside is the weight.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast