Thread: Colt SP1 Serial Number Info

Feedback Score

Colt SP1 Serial Number Info

I'm soon going to have an opportunity to purchase 2 SP1 AR's that were (according to the seller) originally purchased by him sometime in the 60's. I'm a newbie when it comes to the vintage AR's, so I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some info on serial number lookup for the older Colts. If not, does anyone at least know an approximate serial number that would indicate pre-1970 for an SP1? Thanks, in advance.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Perfect! Thank You!

Feedback Score
    okay... I spoke to the owner today. Good news... there were 2 more that he had forgotten about. he's interested in selling all 4 of them. the bad news... they aren't quite as early as previously thought. he gave me the serials of all 4. First one is from 1975 and has a factory Colt scope. Second one also has a factory Colt scope and is from 1979. Third is from 1980. Finally, the fourth is from 1981. Owner says they are all in 'like new' condition. I've known this guy for several years, and he's a straight shooter. (no pun intended) I have no reason to doubt his word. I'm looking for a great deal if I buy all 4 of them, but at the same time, I don't want to rip the guy off. he's a good guy. (of course... I don't want to rip anyone off.) He's not attached to them, and basically said he's not going to use them. they're just taking up room in the safe, so why not just sell them to someone who would appreciate them. He said he wanted to give me a good deal, because he knows they would be going to a good home. I'm supposed to go take a look at them a week from today. I'm really looking forward to taking some or all of these home, but I'm definitely not looking forward to taking the money out of my savings account.