Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget .223/5.56 "Precision" Upper?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    To 700 yards a 18" upper is not going to do anything any differently/better than a 16" upper. Sure, a 18" SPR upper is a fun, niche rifle, but for 99% of shooters it does zero that a 16" rifle cannot do. A stainless steel "recce" upper with a LPVO would punch the ticket. If you want to remain budget conscious and buy complete, I would get the BCM SS upper.
    ^^^ This.

You did say you wanted "precision" but you didn't say you needed "long range" capability.

To gain accuracy, it's not necessary to go with a "longer" barrel, just a "better" one.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 11-01-19 at 09:18.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I know you said you wanted a pre-assembled upper; but...

I was doing a similar mental experiment for a 16-18" comp/SPR upper. For my research it appears there are two different tiers of barrels. First you have the $200-$300 barrels from Ballistic Advantage, Larue, White Oak, Triarc or even BRT Optimium MPC barrels. For "the best" you are looking at past $400 for a Krieger, Bartlien, or Rainer Ultra Match. Personally I think I am a $200 barrel shooter, because I simply don't bench rest that much and most of my shooting is lesser ammo from lesser shooting positions.

One of the reasons I suggest building an upper, is besides Rail, Barrel, and muzzle device, everything else should be pretty standard. For those 3 items you get to pick exactly the components that you want, and then you have absolute control over the assembly. Just my preferences for a precision set up.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    To 700 yards a 18" upper is not going to do anything any differently/better than a 16" upper.
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    You did say you wanted "precision" but you didn't say you needed "long range" capability.

To gain accuracy, it's not necessary to go with a "longer" barrel, just a "better" one.
    Yeah, I get that. I would only consider 18" if there were some screaming deal on a good upper that was only available in 18"... I'm trying to be flexible.

The MV and ballistics of 16" vs. 18" aren't different enough to matter (I think I figured out 50fps and <3" of drop at 500yds).

If you want to remain budget conscious and buy complete, I would get the BCM SS upper.
    That's just it: BCM isn't "budget-conscious." BCM is ≈$250-$300 more than the other options, which is 40-50%.

I'm a BCM fan, but I'm not convinced that BCM is going to be so much better than the others, or that the others are such junk that I need to step up and pay $900+ for a BCM upper.

Quote Originally Posted by jack crab View Post
    If nothing else, now is the time to shop around, but wait until Thanksgiving and black Friday specials. What is presently outside the budget may fall within the budget.
    Actually, this is a "longterm" plan, and I definitely won't do anything before January, maybe not before midyear 2020.

I'm still trying to figure out what my options are...

Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    Get a good SS barrel...
    Really? Tell me if I'm wrong, but what I'm reading is that quality steel barrels are just as accurate as SS barrels.

I forget where I read it, but AFAIK the big difference is that SS barrels "go off" all at once, which makes it easier for serious shooters to realize that the barrel is shot out. (NB: I don't think I'm that serious.)

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    You're missing White Oak's SPR upper which is better than the BCM and Aero options IMO. If i was buying a complete upper for an SPR this would be it

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/sho...dm-uppers.html
    OK, this is now on my list...

One me-being-stupid quibble: I really wanted M-Lok slots at 3 and 9 o'clock, and the White Oak uppers seem to have them at 8, 10, 2, and 4 o'clock.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
    Your note on Aero barrels re Ballistic Advantage is partially true... so maybe consider BA uppers as well.
    OK, at $555 out the door (<$600 with a GunFighter CH), this looks like a good deal:

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/1...ete-upper.html

I only wish they sold an upper with a Hanson barrel and the S-One handguard...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I think I am a $200 barrel shooter...
    Me, too...

Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    One of the reasons I suggest building an upper, is besides Rail, Barrel, and muzzle device, everything else should be pretty standard...
    Actually, there are really just two variables: the (1) barrel and (2) rail.

I can install my own muzzle device, and I know exactly what I want there. (Don't laugh: a KVP linear comp.)

In other areas of life I embrace the DIY ethic, but since there are several good options out there with decent barrels and rails I like, it seems easiest/best to just buy something off-the-rack.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Not sure what WOA is currently offering in chambers... but my 16" WOA has a wylde chamber that isn't 5.56 pressured ammo friendly. (I get case buldge with hot ammo)

I like the option of shooting hot ammo in a "precision" style AR.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Not sure what WOA is currently offering in chambers... but my 16" WOA has a wylde chamber that isn't 5.56 pressured ammo friendly. (I get case buldge with hot ammo)

I like the option of shooting hot ammo in a "precision" style AR.
    Jeez, that's weird... "Wylde" chambers are supposed to have enough leade to be 5.56-friendly.

I definitely want to be able to shoot 5.56 with this, so this is mildly concerning...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    That's just it: BCM isn't "budget-conscious." BCM is ≈$250-$300 more than the other options, which is 40-50%.

I'm a BCM fan, but I'm not convinced that BCM is going to be so much better than the others, or that the others are such junk that I need to step up and pay $900+ for a BCM upper.

I hate to keep hammering this, because I really am a BCM fan, but for what BCM charges for a SS410 upper, I could buy a complete upper from Compass Lake with a fancy Douglas match barrel:

http://compasslake.com/product/spr-t...th-gas-system/

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    SS isn't necessarily more accurate. Chromolly barrels tend to see accuracy degrade over the life of the barrel whereas a SS barrel will maintain its accuracy until all of a sudden it degrades rapidly.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I understand that SS to easier to machine well, so it is theoretically easier to make an accurate SS barrel. As far as 16" vs 18", if the goal of the rifle is target shooting on a flat range at longer distances, I still like my 18" barrel for the added velocity. If I wasn't shooting past 400, I'd probably do a 16". That being said, I've made hits to 800 with my 16" w/69gr TMKs and my 18" w/77gr TMKs.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I hate to keep hammering this, because I really am a BCM fan, but for what BCM charges for a SS410 upper, I could buy a complete upper from Compass Lake with a fancy Douglas match barrel:

http://compasslake.com/product/spr-t...th-gas-system/
    When it comes to precision, I'd go with the best option you can afford. When my Sionics 18" barrel is shot out, I'll probably go higher end and get a Krieger.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast