Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget .223/5.56 "Precision" Upper?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Yeah, but $725 w/o a BCG...

It's a Criterion barrel (good, I know), but $850ish (w/BCG) is too rich for my blood, and/or I'd rather go Black River or Compass Lake at that price point.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I will 2nd (or 3rd) WOA. I bought a complete 20” upper and it is very accurate. Here are some 5 shot groups at 100 and 10 shot group at 500 yards (52 gr smk and 77gr smk respectively)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I love me some WOA uppers and had one, but it went south on me for no reason. Maybe a fluke, but my BCM's have never gone south. YMMV

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Thanks, guys...

WOA would be nice, but those ALG handguards with the slots at 2, 4, 8, and 10 o'clock are a deal-breaker for me. Maybe if WOA will start building 16" uppers with their own "TR" handguards...

Anyway, this project is on hold until at least the second half of next year (2020), because I just lucked into a S&W 610 and a Glock 24 slide (thank you, GunBroker), and my attention and disposable income until next August are thereby accounted for...

Feedback Score
    An update:

Back in August I blew the COVID-dividend on a WOA upper (16" with WOA's own TLR handguard), a Magpul PRS, a Nikon Black 4-16x50 scope, etc. etc. etc.

Here it is, all together:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    ... then, today, I finallllly was able to take it out and really see what it could do. (My range had been closed for timber harvesting.)

I shot these four groups at 300yds...

Holy cow. The Norma is sub-half-moa, and except for a first-round flyer in each group, so is the FGMM.

Attachment 64235

Attachment 64234

Feedback Score
    To sum up...

I went with WOA because it was inexpensive (<$700, complete, shipped), quick (less than six weeks), their reputation is sterling, and when I had a few questions I was impressed with their customer service...

Runner up? BRT. I like a lot of what BRT is doing that's rare elsewhere: 5r rifling, 5/8" barrel threads, etc.

For me as a mediocre and occasional shooter, though, I couldn't justify doing more than a (very conventional) WOA upper... Given the groups it shot this morning, I'm over the moon.

Feedback Score
    good choice and looks like you got a shooter which is the norm for WOA.

I actually just talked my cousin into getting the SPR upper. He is in to long range bolt guns, but wanted an AR platform. Expecting similar results

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I love me some WOA uppers and had one, but it went south on me for no reason.
    How did it fail?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    I actually just talked my cousin into getting the SPR upper. He is in to long range bolt guns, but wanted an AR platform...
    I was thinking of picking up a budget .223 bolt gun (a Ruger American Ranch, that takes AR mags), but the WOA upper is so accurate (with off-the-shelf factory ammo) that I don't know what I would do with a .223 bolt gun...

For that matter, this upper is handily out-shooting my Savage FCP-SR, which I bought because I wanted something more accurate than my M14-type...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast