Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget .223/5.56 "Precision" Upper?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm trying to understand how 700ish is 'budget' for a precision upper?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post
    I'm trying to understand how 700ish is 'budget' for a precision upper?
    Price some of the "high-end" uppers, and you'll find that it's easy to spend $900 or $1,000+ for an upper (including BCG, etc.).

I don't think there's much out there for much less than $700ish...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Price some of the "high-end" uppers, and you'll find that it's easy to spend $900 or $1,000+ for an upper (including BCG, etc.).

I don't think there's much out there for much less than $700ish...
    exactly my point, 700 isn't really budget

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not exactly your point as far as I can tell. If Bimmer's statement "I don't think there's much out there for much less than $700ish..." is right then $700 is "budget" is it not?

Feedback Score
    exactly my point, 700 isn't really budget
    I just re-read my original post from over a year ago... One of my criteria was to stay under a budget of $800, and I did that.

So, in that sense, the WOA upper is a "budget" upper... At least "my budget upper."

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    If Bimmer's statement "I don't think there's much out there for much less than $700ish..." is right then $700 is "budget" is it not?
    Honestly, this is what I figured... Not that anything less than $700 is junk, but for me, it took $700 to get what I wanted (actually, $735ish with a BCM charging handle).

I could've spent a hundred bucks less on an Aero or Savage upper, but I can't believe that they would shoot this well (I can't believe anything shoots this well), and I was happy enough to pay a bit more and step to WOA.

You get a sense that I'm pretty slow and deliberate about these kinds of decisions (this thread is a year old). I buy bicycles the same way: Choose a spec or components, set a budget, and then see whether/where I can buy the spec I want for the budget I've set.

I rarely suffer from buyer's remorse...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    A "budget" precision upper would be taking one of your old uppers(preferably one with a FF handguard already on it) and putting a good precision barrel on it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    A "budget" precision upper would be taking one of your old uppers(preferably one with a FF handguard already on it) and putting a good precision barrel on it.
    Sure, but only if I had a spare upper, a spare handguard, and a spare BCG lying around...

See my original post: I had a spare complete lower with no upper at all for it.

In that situation, it seemed easier (and probably no more expensive, maybe even cheaper) to buy a complete upper...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    700 800 is not budget. You can buy an AR for that. Putting an upper together is not expensive. 170 for upper and bcg, 60 for handguard and yiur barrel isnt costing 500. Budget means budget

Feedback Score
    700 800 is not budget. You can buy an AR for that. Putting an upper together is not expensive. 170 for upper and bcg, 60 for handguard and yiur barrel isnt costing 500. Budget means budget
    I would differentiate between "budget" and "bottom shelf."

Where would you buy an upper and BCG for $170? A handguard for $60?

There are $702 in WOA parts in the upper that cost me $675... I can't see spending an extra $27 to assemble it myself.

Feedback Score
    I’ve got a BCM 18” SS410 with MCMR that's under 1 MOA with 77gr. SMK’s.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast