Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Budget .223/5.56 "Precision" Upper?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don't get the cart in front of the horse. Identify what level of precision, over what distance, conditions, lifespan, reliability, how true the parts need to be, etc. Then, "budget" is the lowest cost (or best value) that meets that spec. You can buy a decent-ish barrel and mate it to whatever other parts and shoot good groups for awhile. An awful lot of junk will shoot MOA or better, but not be worth owning.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Don't get the cart in front of the horse. Identify what level of precision, over what distance, conditions, lifespan, reliability, how true the parts need to be, etc. Then, "budget" is the lowest cost (or best value) that meets that spec. You can buy a decent-ish barrel and mate it to whatever other parts and shoot good groups for awhile. An awful lot of junk will shoot MOA or better, but not be worth owning.
    Indeed, I could build someone a whole "precision AR" for real cheap if my constraints allowed me to mount a heavy barrel with a .223 chamber in it. It would be a sub-minute gun but I wouldnt recommend using for anything other than punching paper or shooting dirt clods.

While my Recce has $1200-1500 in the upper alone, its a fighting rifle first that can also do precision (ie. the chamber can handle mk262 in hot weather under heavy-ish firing schedules that can still group .9-1.2 minute, 10-shot groups with good ammo.) You will end up paying alot more for that capability as well as reliability and durability that you might not even need if you just want a range gun.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 11-08-20 at 21:11.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Indeed, I could build someone a whole "precision AR" for real cheap if my constraints allowed me to mount a heavy barrel with a .223 chamber in it. It would be a sub-minute gun but I wouldnt recommend using for anything other than punching paper or shooting dirt clods.

While my Recce has $1200-1500 in the upper alone, its a fighting rifle first that can also do precision (ie. the chamber can handle mk262 in hot weather under heavy-ish firing schedules that can still group .9-1.2 minute, 10-shot groups with good ammo.) You will end up paying alot more for that capability as well as reliability and durability that you might not even need if you just want a range gun.
    No news to you, but a couple of good examples...

The Colt 6721 had an HBAR that was known for being an really good production barrel. Somewhere here are some threads that discuss the whys, I recall both Molon and IG participating in one or more. Because of the heavy barrel, those uppers were often priced well below other Colt uppers. Excellent quality and value.

Olympic Arms also had some barrels that would really shoot. Their ban-era models PCR-4 and 5 would shoot well above their price point. The problem was the consistency of one barrel to the next, and the balance of the gun you got. Excellent price, but...

Also, lots of barrels are sub- to half-MOA if all you're shooting is 3 round groups at 100. Shoot 10 at a time and start walking them out.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Dont' forget about the LaRue uppers which can be had for less than 900

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    No news to you, but a couple of good examples...

The Colt 6721 had an HBAR that was known for being an really good production barrel. Somewhere here are some threads that discuss the whys, I recall both Molon and IG participating in one or more. Because of the heavy barrel, those uppers were often priced well below other Colt uppers. Excellent quality and value.

Olympic Arms also had some barrels that would really shoot. Their ban-era models PCR-4 and 5 would shoot well above their price point. The problem was the consistency of one barrel to the next, and the balance of the gun you got. Excellent price, but...

Also, lots of barrels are sub- to half-MOA if all you're shooting is 3 round groups at 100. Shoot 10 at a time and start walking them out.
    The 6721 and 6731 were my little secret back in the day (right after the AWB sunset) of building "cheap" but effective SPR/Recce uppers. Trim the FSB and thrown it under a 12" KAC RAS and they shot great. If I left the 6731's with a bare muzzle, you could easily post up at 50y and plink spent .223 brass off a log with Radway M855.

Best bang-for-your-buck now is a Gov profile DD 16" middy CHF. Even hot they'll stay shooting good and go all the way out to the limits of an 8-10x optic with good ammo.

I've gone full circle and don't see the need for a heavy Stainless barrel for a precision .223/5.56 with practicality in mind.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post
    Dont' forget about the LaRue uppers which can be had for less than 900
    792 or something like that.
    Then sold the Tranquillo Break it came with for 80 bucks to help pay for my lower.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal5 View Post
    792 or something like that.
    Then sold the Tranquillo Break it came with for 80 bucks to help pay for my lower.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    it's a great deal imho. nice job reducing by selling brake!!!!!

Feedback Score
    Don't get the cart in front of the horse. Identify what level of precision, over what distance, conditions, lifespan, reliability, how true the parts need to be, etc. Then, "budget" is the lowest cost (or best value) that meets that spec...
    Exactly... Obviously I'm a slow and deliberate shopper (it took me about a year to do this), and I did it like you're describing (which is also how I buy bicycles, power tools, etc.).

Right on... I wanted a heavy barrel, and it actually seemed to be come more and more accurate as it heated up. I shot those last groups (posted here) starting with the barrel still warm, and then shot 20 rounds carefully aiming but non-stop.

Feedback Score
    I've been a big fan of Criterion barrel as of late.

I did observe very good results White Oak Armament "SPR" profile barrels a few years back, this is a with a standard flat-top upper and proper barrel torque, 77grain mk262, with a decent set of free floating handguards.

Have you checked out the complete uppers from Compass Lake Engineering or White Oak Armament?

They do offer Wylde chambers, and definitely in your price range.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boosterboy View Post
    Have you checked out the complete uppers from Compass Lake Engineering or White Oak Armament?

Way ahead of you now... I bought a WOA upper last August and it's been fabulous.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast