Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Change my mind: a hybrid comp is the best general purpose muzzle device

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Change my mind: a hybrid comp is the best general purpose muzzle device

I've noticed people pushing flash hiders pretty hard lately, and I can't figure out a good reason why. Hybrid devices such as the BCM comp, WarComp, and to a lesser extent Battle Comp, are superior for a GP rifle, not a flash hider. Here's why: most people don't shoot in the dark, and if they do, its pretty rare. Also, if they do, its even more rare that they're in a contested environment where bad guys would shoot back at them without signature reduction. Any level of recoil reduction will be far more beneficial than flash suppression in the majority of circumstances. Hybrid comps provide some level of recoil reduction without producing an obnoxious fireball and concussion like dedicated brakes. And while they are more blasty to stand next to, they're rarely of significant inconvenience.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Over the years I agreed with you. I ran Battlecomps on several carbines and BCM comps later on, all on 14.5's with pinned devices. I found they worked well and seemed a bit more controllable and not bad a flash suppression. When I was shooting ten thousand rounds a year it seemed worth it to me. Fast forward past deployments , past being a true first responder, I now really do prefer a 16" barrel and an A-2. This year I bought what will be my last two carbines and I just didn't want to spend the money on the muzzle devices. So for me it is simply a change in life in that I don't want to spend the money for the minimal gains anymore. But I still think you're right!
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    I'm pretty sure this article has made the rounds here but worth a post.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/55...vice-shootout/

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I won’t be able to change your mind because you make some good points that are true.

However, they tend to be long enough to p/w to a 14.5” or 13.7”, but most users have them on 16” guns. So, they’re a little long compared to an A2, however inconsequential. They also tend to cost as much as 300-400 rounds of blasting ammo. And even a proper brake has a pretty small effect on recoil, for me. I can feel the difference in recoil, but I have to pull out a timer to notice a difference in my cadence. So I do have a brake on my gamer gun.

And, they are usually pretty mediocre at all things, although a few strike a very good balance. For example, the A2 manages flash pretty well for $9. Most that work better at that cost much more, and are longer. It does close to nothing for recoil mitigation, maybe a tiny amount of muzzle rise mitigation compared to bare muzzle. Basically an old-school hybrid device, but rather specialized at certain strengths (including price). Most (all?) hybrid comps do not outperform the A2 for reducing flash. The claims for flash reduction are valid if comparing to a bare muzzle. They pretty much all reduce recoil much better, but not as well as a real brake. Some of them are less blasty than brakes, but not all. Many that are just brakes with tines on the front are just as blasty as a brake if we’re shooting next to each other, especially if one of us is just spotting, not shooting. It can be rather annoying in that case.

I tried a Hammer Comp (not a hybrid device, but a less blasty brake, so just an awkward anecdote; their Flash Comp is this plus tines) on my 16” GP gun for about a month recently. When I was shooting it, I was like “wow, no real difference in blast”. And then, a buddy was shooting it while I was in the spotting scope. It hurt my fricken’ teeth. I twisted it off same day and went back to an A2.

Most of this doesn’t matter for most people and they would be fine in either direction, if they can afford either.

Edit: if flash reduction is important to you, ammo matters, too. You might get less flash from a PA AFAB/EFAB with Gold Dot than an A2 with American Eagle. But flash is not a real problem for most people using a hybrid device.
    Last edited by 1168; 10-31-19 at 09:15. Reason: Add

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I agree with you OP. I think the hybrid devices that are more skewed towards flash suppression are the way to go to minimize on the consussion increase over an A2 but to get some added control over an A2.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I previously ran the Battle comp on my goto riffle. I found it very effective. The flash it had was ok, and didn't concern me much. The concussion was certainly there, not as bad as some brakes, but it was certainly there.

I have moved away from them and put them on less used spare parts builds I have. Why?

The concussion. I take a bunch of classes, it sucks to be that guy with the comp. I hate being next to some dick with a comp or brake in a class. I didn't want to be a hypocrite.

I also found out the hard way that in non standard positions close to the ground, in and around barricades and under things like cars or in cars, they suck. Sht goes everywhere. Sand and dirt clouds choke you, block your vision for follow up shots, gets sht all in your optic and face ect. No thank you, not at all worth it. At 150$ the value was surely not there.

I find something like the YHM Phantom to the best all around if you do not mount a suppressor. The closed bottom adds some compensation, The closed tines don't catch things like vines patrolling in the woods, it has great flash suppression and no extra concussion. It also only cost like 30$

A comp is great for a hobby rifle firing from the standing position rapidly at something like steel at 25 yards. Tons of fun. On a real use carbine I don't see pro's out weighing the cons.

I do own a closed tine warcomp, I have not used it enough to decide what I think.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Hybrid muzzle devices do nothing well and everything mediocre while still increasing noise and blast. Like TSM951 said above, nobody wants to be next to the guy in a class with a brake or comp.

I've also never found them to actually reduce recoil all that much, certainly not enough to justify the downsides. I was glad when I got the BCM mod 1 comp that I opted to not have it pinned and welded when I bought the upper. I sold it at a $30 loss and put a BCM A2X on it and have never looked back.

An A2 birdcage offers more recoil and muzzle flip reduction than you might think. I was curious about it several years ago and took off the A2 and shot several drills with just a thread protector on the muzzle. Large fireball not included, but it was kinda eye opening as to how much the A2 is actually doing. For what it's worth, it was an 11.5" barrel. It would probably be far less noticeable on a 16" gun.

$100 for a muzzle device that will make your class mates hate you while providing benefits that can really only be measured in tenths and hundredths of seconds isn't a good investment to me.

I'll stick with the $12 birdcage. Change my mind.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    I'll stick with the $12 birdcage. Change my mind.
    Same here. I have the gunfigher from BCM, but if I'm picking out a new device, it's the A2.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I ran comps and have nothing against them except the extra blast, extra fireball, and extra cost. Now I'm back to FH all rifles.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I recently got a Sub 2000 in 9mm. I put an A2 on it. I wonder if a 16 inch 9mm needs any flash hider?

It looks pretty cool. I'd post a photo, but I get a message about exceeding my quota.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 10-31-19 at 12:23.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast