Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Change my mind: a hybrid comp is the best general purpose muzzle device

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My BCM upper came with a gunfighter mod 0 comp, and I’ve been very happy with it. Noticeable difference between DD’s version of an A2/A2X, and the blast isn’t insane. I took a class and didn’t get any dirty looks. I was also able to shoot lying on my side without eating a face full of dust.

I wouldn’t pay $90 for a GF comp when an A2 is so cheap, but I’ve been happy with it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    How can you experiment with it? Umm same gun, shoot with the flash hider then with the comp. I don’t know why this is so hard for you to grasp.

The real question isn’t is it easier to shoot. The real question is is there a significant enough of an advantage to be worth the disadvantages? Is it the right tool for the job?

Do you conceal carry your pork pistol? An open pistol is significantly more an ad advantage to a production pistol than an open AR is to a standard AR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Evidently you didn't read my post or disagree with premise on the usefulness or lack there of even shooting things back to back. People aren't consistent, they are the variable that undermines the process.

In 3gun there are no disadvantages that I'm aware of. In SD, for me, there are disadvantages and I talked about those, I don't us comps or hybrids on my SD guns. Others determined for themselves that my disadvantages weren't their disadvantages...I'm perfectly fine with that. And no I wouldn't carry an open gun CCW because of it's disadvantages for that situtation. But in USPSA an open gun gives pretty big advantages. That's why, generally speaking, guys that can run an open gun well usually win the match.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 11-03-19 at 12:44.

Feedback Score

Change my mind: a hybrid comp is the best general purpose muzzle device

Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Evidently you didn't read my post or disagree with premise on the usefulness or lack there of even shooting things back to back. People aren't consistent, they are the variable that undermines the process.

In 3gun there are no disadvantages that I'm aware of. In SD, for me, there are disadvantages and I talked about those, I don't us comps or hybrids on my SD guns. Others determined for themselves that my disadvantages weren't their disadvantages...I'm perfectly fine with that. And no I wouldn't carry an open gun CCW because of it's disadvantages for that situtation. But in USPSA an open gun gives pretty big advantages. That's why, generally speaking, guys that can run an open gun well usually win the match.
    I did read it and understand. That’s why you repeat it. You take an average.

If one cannot shoot consistency enough over several strings to determine an average the. It’s obvious there is no advantage and you can drop the discussion and say comps ain’t worth having.

And no, PCC shooters usually win

Last edited by lsllc; 11-03-19 at 12:53.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by seb5 View Post
    Over the years I agreed with you. I ran Battlecomps on several carbines and BCM comps later on, all on 14.5's with pinned devices. I found they worked well and seemed a bit more controllable and not bad a flash suppression. When I was shooting ten thousand rounds a year it seemed worth it to me. Fast forward past deployments , past being a true first responder, I now really do prefer a 16" barrel and an A-2. This year I bought what will be my last two carbines and I just didn't want to spend the money on the muzzle devices. So for me it is simply a change in life in that I don't want to spend the money for the minimal gains anymore. But I still think you're right!
    This post ^

Very helpful, thanks much. Brought a lot of clarity to my thought process.
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I've noticed people pushing flash hiders pretty hard lately, and I can't figure out a good reason why. Hybrid devices such as the BCM comp, WarComp, and to a lesser extent Battle Comp, are superior for a GP rifle, not a flash hider. Here's why: most people don't shoot in the dark, and if they do, its pretty rare. Also, if they do, its even more rare that they're in a contested environment where bad guys would shoot back at them without signature reduction. Any level of recoil reduction will be far more beneficial than flash suppression in the majority of circumstances. Hybrid comps provide some level of recoil reduction without producing an obnoxious fireball and concussion like dedicated brakes. And while they are more blasty to stand next to, they're rarely of significant inconvenience.
    Warcomp is the best general purpose muzzle device. It has good flash reduction, keeps the muzzle flat, has some recoil reduction, and also accepts a suppressor.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Col. Cooper would approve.
    Maybe it's from all my time with shotguns, but I just don't register it much.

Kind of like Glock BTF LOL
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    Warcomp is the best general purpose muzzle device. It has good flash reduction, keeps the muzzle flat, has some recoil reduction, and also accepts a suppressor.
    I’ve seen complaints that it drives the muzzle down too much. That’s what kept me from getting one on my last gun, but I’ve never gotten to try one so I don’t know from personal experience.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    I did read it and understand. That’s why you repeat it. You take an average.

If one cannot shoot consistency enough over several strings to determine an average the. It’s obvious there is no advantage and you can drop the discussion and say comps ain’t worth having.

And no, PCC shooters usually win

Why is it that when MegademiC postulates that comps don't speed up splits (which I agree with, since a comp doesn't control how fast you can pull the trigger) but does allow for more accuracy between the shot (less dispersion) a seeming advantaged...you fall silent?

Because a difference can't be measured, thus indicating no worth, it doesn't follow that there is not a benefit, but it is subjective like I've been saying all along. That's why I said it is subtle. It is my experience that the gun moves less, is easier to get back on target things of that nature...it's less work. And the times at any particular time may or may not reflect that depending on other factors. After reading some your other interactions it seems to me you can be quite rigid in negating others experience of something and appeal to some sort of empiricism as the final arbitrator...if you can't touch it, see it, taste it, hear it or smell it it didn't happen. If that how you think you might lighten up a bit. Empiricism is formally fallacious.

PCC doesn't always win in the matches around SoCa, there are still some pretty good pistol shooters around here. Besides comparing PCC to pistols is an apples to oranges to me.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Why is it that when MegademiC postulates that comps don't speed up splits (which I agree with, since a comp doesn't control how fast you can pull the trigger) but does allow for more accuracy between the shot (less dispersion) a seeming advantaged...you fall silent?

Because a difference can't be measured, thus indicating no worth, it doesn't follow that there is not a benefit, but it is subjective like I've been saying all along. That's why I said it is subtle. It is my experience that the gun moves less, is easier to get back on target things of that nature...it's less work. And the times at any particular time may or may not reflect that depending on other factors. After reading some your other interactions it seems to me you can be quite rigid in negating others experience of something and appeal to some sort of empiricism as the final arbitrator...if you can't touch it, see it, taste it, hear it or smell it it didn't happen. If that how you think you might lighten up a bit. Empiricism is formally fallacious.

PCC doesn't always win in the matches around SoCa, there are still some pretty good pistol shooters around here. Besides comparing PCC to pistols is an apples to oranges to me.
    He made the leap you failed to.

I never said comps don’t work.

I said it was marginal and they do next to nothing.

I still cannot figure out how you believe that performance cannot be measured. Again, if performance cannot be measured in some way, why buy one? I fully understand people are variable and don’t perform to the same level 100% of the time. But there are TRENDS in performance. But it sounds as though you’re arguing that there isn’t. If one performs the same standardized drill ten times back to back alternating between the same gear with the only difference being the comp, and you measure score, hit factor, etc, you’re arguing that doesn’t tell anything? If it doesn’t tell anything, then you must conclude it doesn’t matter. If it doesn’t matter, why should one buy one?

Performance is quantifiable. Do you track your own performance? If you don’t, then can you determine if your training is doing something for you?

Please, I want to understand how it can be “good and better in performance” if it cannot be measured?

Also, I didn’t make this personal, and neither should you.

Last edited by lsllc; 11-03-19 at 20:04.

Feedback Score

Also I need to add they do speed up splits; if your accuracy standard is fixed, which it should be, the comps will speed up your splits maintaining a given level of accuracy.

If you’re pulling the trigger so fast you cannot maintain your accuracy standard, you need to slow down. You shouldn’t be firing two hopers and calling it good.

Last edited by lsllc; 11-03-19 at 20:02.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast