Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Change my mind: a hybrid comp is the best general purpose muzzle device

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Nice video.
    NVG’s involved? One thing that occurred to me is potential of flash interfering with night vision. I have zero experience and knowledge on that topic. Is that a thing?
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Shot night earlier tonight with white light with two buddies. No visible flash (flashlight obscures it, to a degree) from 2 A2’s and a 3 prong on barrels of varying lengths. Of interest, the smoke had a significant effect on follow up shots if not moving. Different ammo might change that, or maybe it was something to do with the weather, but it was like shooting muskets. 1st shot totally obscured the target if I didn’t move or change positions.

The muzzle flash from our G19s was big and bright, even with a Surefire U Boat, but had no effect on ability to bang steel.

Shooting before the sun was all the way down with no flashlights, the muzzle flash with A2’s was visible from the side, but not bad. Not visible to the shooter. 3 prong had no visible flash to anyone.

We had fun; not sure if this adds any value to this conversation.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Nice video.
    NVG’s involved? One thing that occurred to me is potential of flash interfering with night vision. I have zero experience and knowledge on that topic. Is that a thing?
    No nods, this was just blasting at the backstop for the sole purpose of capturing muzzle flash. I have limited live fire time with nods and it’s all been with an A2 FH. I don’t remember noticing anything though.

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Shot night earlier tonight with white light with two buddies. No visible flash (flashlight obscures it, to a degree) from 2 A2’s and a 3 prong on barrels of varying lengths. Of interest, the smoke had a significant effect on follow up shots if not moving. Different ammo might change that, or maybe it was something to do with the weather, but it was like shooting muskets. 1st shot totally obscured the target if I didn’t move or change positions.

The muzzle flash from our G19s was big and bright, even with a Surefire U Boat, but had no effect on ability to bang steel.

Shooting before the sun was all the way down with no flashlights, the muzzle flash with A2’s was visible from the side, but not bad. Not visible to the shooter. 3 prong had no visible flash to anyone.

We had fun; not sure if this adds any value to this conversation.
    I don’t know how much weather plays a role, but I was very surprised that my RS didn’t produce more smoke. It looked like the other guy’s P365 had a lot more, but he was shooting some type of steel case and I was shooting Lawman so I’m sure that’s why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    No nods, this was just blasting at the backstop for the sole purpose of capturing muzzle flash. I have limited live fire time with nods and it’s all been with an A2 FH. I don’t remember noticing anything though.

I don’t know how much weather plays a role, but I was very surprised that my RS didn’t produce more smoke. It looked like the other guy’s P365 had a lot more, but he was shooting some type of steel case and I was shooting Lawman so I’m sure that’s why.

Yeah, I don’t know that weather really plays any role other than being in the woodline on a windless night. It was probably just the ammo, but there was noticeably more smoke than I normally get, and it wasn’t dissipating.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I've had weather obstruct clear vision in the early daytime. I'm sure it could at night as well. The instance I'm talking about was from the 300 meter line on a course of fire I've shot plenty of times on a range I've been to a dozen other times with the same setup. It was shortly after daybreak, extremely humid, and firing created a sort of fog. POI for my irons and ACOG shifted from center to the far right of a 19" wide target. Possibly from foggy eye pro, but my groups remained reasonably tight. 30 minutes later the sun had burned much of the humidity off and firing from 400 didn't create any issues.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Nice video.
    I've been doing research, looking at getting into the NODs game, and yesterday watched a video on configuring a rifle for use with NODs that Aaron Cowan did about a year ago: In it, he says the best muzzle device to use with NODs is a silencer. The next best device is a flashhider. If you can't have those legally, then the least obnoxious comp. And the shorter the barrel, the more important the muzzle device is.

" Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by contax_shooter View Post
    Comps/brakes without a can quickly diminish the output of your devices.

No thanks.
    Not only that, but I couldn't imagine having to use one in a confined space (especially the dual chamber SF brake).. unless, of course, clearing your sinuses is a primary goal.

I wish BCM had offered a pinned Surefire closed tine flash hider when I purchased this upper a few years ago, instead of the SF brake.

It offers the best recoil reduction by far compared to the other muzzle devices I own, but it's obnoxiously loud and throws fire balls a few feet in any direction. In short, not worth it unless used as a sacrificial baffle for suppressed use. The only other muzzle device I've used that is more obnoxious from a sound signature perspective is the Battle Comp.

Even though they come with their own issues, I've really come to appreciate suppressors for most of my needs.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I've been doing research, looking at getting into the NODs game, and yesterday watched a video on configuring a rifle for use with NODs that Aaron Cowan did about a year ago: In it, he says the best muzzle device to use with NODs is a silencer. The next best device is a flashhider. If you can't have those legally, then the least obnoxious comp. And the shorter the barrel, the more important the muzzle device is.

I’m not claiming to be more of an expert than Cowan, but I’ve not had an issue with NODs on a 14.5 with A2. Shorter than that by much, then yeah, a silencer is more appropriate. Of course, 10.3” + 6.5” -.6”= 16.2”, so there’s that.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    Not only that, but I couldn't imagine having to use one in a confined space (especially the dual chamber SF brake).. unless, of course, clearing your sinuses is a primary goal.

I wish BCM had offered a pinned Surefire closed tine flash hider when I purchased this upper a few years ago, instead of the SF brake.

It offers the best recoil reduction by far compared to the other muzzle devices I own, but it's obnoxiously loud and throws fire balls a few feet in any direction. In short, not worth it unless used as a sacrificial baffle for suppressed use. The only other muzzle device I've used that is more obnoxious from a sound signature perspective is the Battle Comp.

Even though they come with their own issues, I've really come to appreciate suppressors for most of my needs.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    Yeah that’s a beast. 14.5 upper? And do you easily notice that flash? Like I said a few posts back, I only saw it when looking for it, but that was very limited “testing” and definitely not the SF brake.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I agree with Rogue556. As I mentioned previously, my P&W 14" wears a SF brake as a sacrificial baffle. Without the can, it is sometimes almost unpleasant to shoot. I can't imagine indoors with no ear pro. I've ripped off 5 shot strings unto IDPA targets for kicks before, and it is excellent for keeping the dot still, but I'm considering either getting a Blast Warden or having a smith replace it with a WarComp.

Back to the original premise of the thread. I think I'm in agreement with the point, just not the chosen MD. I feel the BCM comp offers too much blast and too little flash suppression compared to other choices on the market. Surefire, FCD, and Precision Armament come to mind as better choices (at least to me), but I'm probably getting into biases at this point.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast