Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Change my mind: a hybrid comp is the best general purpose muzzle device

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    @Wake27,

I agree with your general statement that for most people recoil reduction and muzzle stability is more beneficial than a flash reduction (including myself).
    If you're comparing A2 you need to contrast it with the full on brake like Surefire two port (or similar) which have an obnoxious concussion and blast signature even during a daytime. As other members pointed out they cost typically around $120-150 which is half of a high quality barrel and approximately the same as a good barrel on sale. Most people are not willing to pay that price in addition to dealing with the blast/concussion.

A2 on the other hand is cheap/free and does not have such negatives. I would imagine a lot of regular folks when picking up a rifle with A2 coming from a brake equipped rifle will be complaining that the rifle wonders under recoil. Proper recoil management technique can definitely help to improve recoil/stability with A2.

Quality (this being a key word here) hybrid devices are great and very, very difficult to come by and evaluate objectively. I have two of the following and will only speak to those.
    Something like a closed tine Warcomp is geared towards a flash reduction, compensation is a secondary factor for it. Whenever you're willing to pay for it over A2 is a different matter.
    On the other hand KAC MAMS, I feed tuned towards compensation (axial stability) and has an acceptable flash reduction for a comp/brake. Personally, I don't notice any overpressure signature with MAMS vs A2.

Most hybrid devices are a marketing gimmick. They fail miserably at advertised function and are bad at everything: flash reduction, compensation, axial stability, and blast management. Most people might not notice the negatives and it definitely has a placebo effect (especially after paying $100-$150). I've learned my lesson and now avoid any hybrid devices except the two mentioned above.

I feel that it's almost easier to get a separate upper with the muzzle device for a dedicated purpose rather than trying to find a perfect solution for one setup.

Competition gun - use whatever, probably some 3-port brake.
    Want a break/comp - go with a two port surefire or KAC MAMS.
    Need a flash hider - A2, Surefire, KAC 3-prong or such.
    Suppressor use - whatever device a manufacturer recommends. It only serves as mounting adaptor. Better yet use a direct thread method to safe some weight and double interface point.
    Last edited by alx01; 10-31-19 at 13:33.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    If you like the A2, you'll like the 6315.

Based on the A2 TDP, we made the 3 and 9 o'clock ports shorter and smaller to force more gas to be expelled through the upward facing ports. 6315's 20% better comp performance is "free", in that it's obtained without compromises such as more flash, noise and concussion.

6315 has been my go-to for non suppressed needs. I still run the Covert Comp from BRT, but I like the 6315 best as a general use muzzle device.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    No free lunch.

The EFAB is rated for a 10.5” barreled gun. That says volumes (no pun intended) about its lack of “blastiness”.
    I run these on my SD guns and go full concussion monster on competition carbines.

Feedback Score
    I spent a 3 day carbine operators course next to a 10.5" with a Surefire brake. Ya'll need to quit whining so much it's not that bad
    "In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    6315 has been my go-to for non suppressed needs. I still run the Covert Comp from BRT, but I like the 6315 best as a general use muzzle device.
    Do you happen to use the Covert Comp on a short barrel? That’s something that I have considered.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken1973 View Post
    I spent a 3 day carbine operators course next to a 10.5" with a Surefire brake. Ya'll need to quit whining so much it's not that bad
    I hardly like SHOOTING my 14" with the SF brake when I don't have the suppressor on it...too blasty.

Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Do you happen to use the Covert Comp on a short barrel? That’s something that I have considered.
    That's what I've been doing with it on a 10.3 300 BLK, and a buddy on his 11.3" 5.56. I have one on my SPRish build as well, and I'm happy with it. I haven't done side by side comparisons with the shorter barrels. When I built the pistol I decided to err on the quieter side and went with the Covert Comp. If I were filthy rich, I might do WarComps on everything because they don't seem blasty on 16" barrels, so they might be half decent on shorter barrels as well. But I'm happy with 6315s and BRT CCs...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I can see some noob or 3gunner going for a comp, to mitigate the low recoil 5.56/AR combo. I'm into 3 gun and use a pretty good straight up comp. But on my SD rifle I use a pretty good FH. I dont see the 5.56 as a something to reduce in recoil in a SD situation. It just doesn't recoil that much to begin with.

Maybe someday engineers will figure out how to give us max flash hiding with max recoil mitigation in the same package.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    My brother runs one on an 11.5" 5.56. It works great! No extra side blast, minimal flash (better than an A2 birdcage, even with ammo that belched an impressive column of fire from an XM177 clone), deeper tone and sends a lot of the concussion & noise down range.

Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    I can see some noob or 3gunner going for a comp, to mitigate the low recoil 5.56/AR combo. I'm into 3 gun and use a pretty good straight up comp. But on my SD rifle I use a pretty good FH. I dont see the 5.56 as a something to reduce in recoil in a SD situation. It just doesn't recoil that much to begin with.

Maybe someday engineers will figure out how to give us max flash hiding with max recoil mitigation in the same package.
    They call it a suppressor. A suppressor with a brake style end cap has low flash, good recoil reduction and little to no concussion.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    My brother runs one on an 11.5" 5.56. It works great! No extra side blast, minimal flash (better than an A2 birdcage, even with ammo that belched an impressive column of fire from an XM177 clone), deeper tone and sends a lot of the concussion & noise down range.

They call it a suppressor. A suppressor with a brake style end cap has low flash, good recoil reduction and little to no concussion.
    Yeah, you're right there. I was thinking more in terms of a smaller device that everyman had easy access to. Not everyone has that access whether because of money or laws.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I don't know how people don't feel a difference in recoil reduction. Maybe when I'm home I'll do as much of a side by side comparison as possible, but I know by feel whether I'm shooting a FH vs hybrid comp. If you honestly can't, then yeah I guess its not worth the cost.

The length could be an issue for Surefire, but those are can mounts. Both BCM and BC have short and long variants.

The blast - this may be the biggest reason I see. I've stood next to the BCM comp quite a bit, and have been in class next to a SureFire brake. Yeah its noticeable and if its possible, I'll take an extra step away, but unless you're a complete bitch, I just don't see how its a real issue. I'm not going to blame the guy next to me for wanting every mechanical advantage he can get to make his shooting better and I've never felt like its been an actual detriment to my shooting or learning. Granted, none of these were SBRs.
    That's kinda my thinking on using a muzzle device to control recoil on a 5.56 gun.

ETA: That wasn't a cheap shot at Wake27, just a lame attempt at humor.
    Last edited by Five_Point_Five_Six; 11-01-19 at 07:27.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast