Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Change my mind: a hybrid comp is the best general purpose muzzle device

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Get what works for you , they all have some pro’s and con’s to them.
    Last edited by Biggy; 11-02-19 at 09:22.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    If you like the A2, you'll like the 6315.

Based on the A2 TDP, we made the 3 and 9 o'clock ports shorter and smaller to force more gas to be expelled through the upward facing ports. 6315's 20% better comp performance is "free", in that it's obtained without compromises such as more flash, noise and concussion.

Yep I'm running a new 6315 and love it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    Larry Vicker’s personal carbine set-up from a little over a year ago. Looks like he chose to use the BCM Gunfighter hybrid muzzle device on it.

https://youtu.be/4XtZp9uwpFk
    Yea I mean he’s also sponsored by them so may be incentive there but he probably has the option to use an A2 as well.
    Last edited by Walker_Texasranger; 10-31-19 at 19:08.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    MAMS 556

MAMS 762

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My favorite device is 3/4 prong flash hiders. I don't think muzzle devices really change the recoil of a rifle that much. Shooter position plays way more of a factor in my shooting. I pulled a typical 2 chamber brake off my 16" 7.62 and replaced it with a warcomp. I really couldn't tell the difference in recoil even though the Warcomp isn't supposed to do as good of a job. I do notice the reduction in blast though.

I personally loathe people that bring a comped AR to a public range.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    I can see some noob or 3gunner going for a comp, to mitigate the low recoil 5.56/AR combo. I'm into 3 gun and use a pretty good straight up comp. But on my SD rifle I use a pretty good FH. I dont see the 5.56 as a something to reduce in recoil in a SD situation. It just doesn't recoil that much to begin with.

Maybe someday engineers will figure out how to give us max flash hiding with max recoil mitigation in the same package.
    Wait so you use a comp on a gamer gun, but the gun you trust your life to, when you could in theory actually die for not being effective enough as a shooter, you’re fine with just saying that the recoil isn’t that much?

Nobody ever said the recoil was a lot, but if you can do something about it with minimal consequences...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Wait so you use a comp on a gamer gun, but the gun you trust your life to, when you could in theory actually die for not being effective enough as a shooter, you’re fine with just saying that the recoil isn’t that much?

Nobody ever said the recoil was a lot, but if you can do something about it with minimal consequences...

I consider 3gun to be a bit different than a SD situation. The comp I use is pretty loud and flashy. I'm also under the clock so I'm trying to squeeze as much speed out of my gun as possible in a non-threatened game situation. I do believe that a SD situation might happen at night inside a house. So for me the fh makes more sense since the difference in speed is not that much. If speed is really the only consideration...do you use a lightened bcg, less powerful action spring, the biggest most effective comp you can buy? I doubt I could really tell the difference between an effective fh and a hybrid comp/fh. If you can that's fine.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    My brother runs one on an 11.5" 5.56. It works great! No extra side blast, minimal flash (better than an A2 birdcage, even with ammo that belched an impressive column of fire from an XM177 clone), deeper tone and sends a lot of the concussion & noise down range.
    I run a BRT Covert Comp on my 11.3" 5.56 and get soccer-ball sized flash from it with a variety of ammunition. I was going to swap an A2 FH onto it as an expiriment, so I am glad you posted this. I agree with your comments on blast.

I ran the covert comp on longer barrels and never saw daytime muzzle flash with it.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Here’s why people use flash hiders over comps, and I’m not opposed to comps:

Worst case scenarios.

Best case scenario, how much faster are you with a comp? How much more accurate? I can’t tell the difference in my scores or time from low ready on up drills, pairs, or bills. While the comp “feels better”, I attain no quantified improvement in performance in a defensive role.

But what about worst case scenarios?

The fireball is not necessarily something I want in a lowlight defensive situation. Granted it’s not the end of the world either.

The added sound signature from a comp is a real thing during a defensive situation. It can be disorienting and downright painful in the instance I’m unable to donn ear protection.

Additionally, the gas diversion can cause debris to become a problem in some situations; gravel, dust, other debris, etc.

I once got my glass blasted at a precision rifle match due to a brakes rifle on the line next to me. Nothing like your $2,000 glass getting sand-blaster by the guy next to you. Do you want to be responsible for damage caused by the comps?

Finally, if I put one on every rifle I train with, I’m out serious money.

That said I own a battle comp on my badly worn 14.5” pinned DD upper from ‘07. I have a WarComp on an SBR, and several BCM comps that were free with purchase.

My home defense rifle is a 14.5” with a pinned three-prong. The rifle I’m grabbing when I need a rifle doesn’t wear a comp. It does, however, wear a suppressor most of the time.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    On anything longer than 14.5 I prefer the hybrid comps, anything shorter needs a suppressor.

Most hybrid comps I’ve used (mams, Bc, bcm, Griffin) aren’t throwing huge fireballs like some are saying. Yes they are more than an A2 but not massively so. Blast is also more but nothing like an open port brake, although the BCM is more blasty than the other mentioned, I’ve also noticed the A2 is more blasty than most dedicated flash hiders, and in junkyard prone it kicks up a good amount of crap just like any device besides a suppressor or flash can.

I also prefer them as a suppressor host as they act as a sacrificial baffle.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast