Thread: Headspace

Feedback Score

Headspace

When should headspace be checked and with which gauges, go, no go, field gauge?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I spoke with IG on this early in the year and he advised to just go with a Field gauge, I use the Colt one fro Brownells. (1.4736)

I would if replacing a bolt on a used upper
    Switching a bolt from another
    On a new build, maybe a GO as well just to make sure who ever made it will allow chambering and nothing excessive either.
    If having a high round count upper to insure it hasn't worn to the point of unsafe

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-prod6646.aspx
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I spoke with IG on this early in the year and he advised to just go with a Field gauge, I use the Colt one fro Brownells. (1.4736)

On a new build, maybe a GO as well just to make sure who ever made it will allow chambering and nothing excessive either.
    If having a high round count upper to insure it hasn't worn to the point of unsafe

Same here.

If excessive headspace, first replace bolt assembly and then recheck. If headspace is not corrected, replace barrel assembly; then recheck with the original bolt to determine if the bolt is still good or if the bolt should be replaced also.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post

On the field gauge you referenced from Brownells, does it work like a NO-GO gauge? Meaning the stripped bolt should not turn?
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes.

Here is what the TM says: ETA - Change 4 Page 3-47

6. Assemble charging handle assembly (4), bolt assembly, and key and bolt carrier assembly (5) into upper receiver assembly (6).

7. Insert headspace gage (7) PN 7799734 in chamber. Important to note that the gag PN7799734 does not require removal of the ejector because the rim is relieved to allow the ejector to remain uncompressed

For the purpose of this test "light finger pressure" is defined as 8 1/2 to 8 3/4 pounds.

8. Check headspace by pressing key and bolt carrier assembly (5) and charging handleassembly (4) forward using light fingerpressure.

9. Bolt should not rotate to locked position. Key and bolt carrier assembly (5) must protrude from rear of upper receiver assembly (6) for proper headspace. If excessive headspace,first replace old bolt assembly with an unused bolt assembly and then recheck.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 11-09-19 at 19:45.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    If you do not have gauge, P/N 7799734, removal of the extractor may be required...

For the AR type barrel, the primary use for the GO and NOGO gauge are at the factory, in conjunction with a gauge bolt, to insure that the barrel and barrel extension are properly assembled. If you are the type that cuts his/her own chambers, then a GO and NOGO are essential. Otherwise, just a FIELD is necessary to check for wear.

Unless you have little confidence in you barrel or bolt manufacturer, not that there is anything wrong with that, it this case.

Feedback Score
    Thanks!
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm astonished that no commercial gauge maker has made one with relief, so we don't have to remove the ejector.

M4C machinists: why not buy some Colt ones and do the mod? I'd buy one if reasonably priced. I bet lots of other AR-heads would too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I'm astonished that no commercial gauge maker has made one with relief, so we don't have to remove the ejector.

M4C machinists: why not buy some Colt ones and do the mod? I'd buy one if reasonably priced. I bet lots of other AR-heads would too.
    Because most head spacing is done by gunsmiths in incomplete barrels and unassembled bolts.

The Army head space gauge (P/N 7799734) doesn't even have a extractor groove.

Last edited by lysander; 11-10-19 at 10:18.