Thread: Rock River barrels

Feedback Score

Rock River barrels

Was browsing Rock River's website, and noticed that the majority of their barrels seem to be Wylde-chambered. And many (most?) seem to be non-Nitrided, non-chromed (although chrome is available as an option). Accuracy on the example below is given as "1 MOA at 100 yards".

I realize that most of these are intended as target/competition guns, but are untreated barrels very common in the industry today?

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index....tegory_ID=1838

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Rock river is known for cutting corners and using fancy wording to mislead their customers. That being said their SS barrels do shoot pretty well

As far as untreated barrels, they usually are only found in the cheap price point beginner rifles.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would never buy an untreated carbon steel AR barrel today with the plethora of cheap, high quality chrome lined, stainless, and nitrided barrels on the market. But that's just me.

Feedback Score
    I have two Rock River barrels, I believe Wilson makes them. One is a 24" bull barrel and the other is a 18" fluted barrel. Both are very accurate, the 24" was my first 5.56 to get me to 1000yrds. I no longer have any shorter ones. I did kinda abuse a 16" complete Rock River a long time ago and it kept working. That, of course, doesn't mean I want to carry one into combat.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    "I realize that most of these are intended as target/competition guns, but are untreated barrels very common in the industry today"

The only place you find chrome lined barrels is on weapons originally designed for high round counts and rapid fire. Think military. It's there to extend the service life of the barrel on rifles that aren't expected to be very accurate to start with. Industry wide chrome barrels are not common at all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    "I realize that most of these are intended as target/competition guns, but are untreated barrels very common in the industry today"

The only place you find chrome lined barrels is on weapons originally designed for high round counts and rapid fire. Think military. It's there to extend the service life of the barrel on rifles that aren't expected to be very accurate to start with. Industry wide chrome barrels are not common at all.
    This is correct that many manufactures don't chrome lined any more, but untreated chrome moly barrels are pretty uncommon. Even cheap barrels have nitride/qpq/melonite these days.

Kinda odd WW doesn't treat the non stainless barrels. It isn't real expensive to do so. Would only add a few $ cost in the end
    Last edited by everready73; 11-03-19 at 10:39.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post

Well, even Bushmaster and Spike's Tactical feature chromed barrels so they're still around.
    Last edited by Slater; 11-06-19 at 06:34.