Thread: DPMS LR-308/AR-10 mag well dilemma

Feedback Score

DPMS LR-308/AR-10 mag well dilemma

I am currently working on a personal project at work. Milling from billet DPMS lower receiver. After doing some research I have found what appears to be a mash up of a DPMS and AR lower receiver. This model has the Radius but the buffer tube thread vs the angle like the AR.... but has the mag well pitched 3 degrees like the AR versus the DPMS meg well being straight. What do I do here? Lol

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    What answer are you looking for? This thread is looking one and done to me.

Feedback Score
    Am I mistaken in thinking that the DPMS mag well has the be perpendicular to the barrel? Can I leave it 3 degrees off?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The AR-10B was designed to use modified M14 magazines. When used in the M14, the angle of the mag is not quite 90 degrees to the bore. It makes sense that the angle was maintained in the AR-10B for correct feeding, but I don't know for certain.

The other mag commonly used mag is what they call the KAC SR-25 pattern. This is the most common pattern used. It's based on the original AR-10 magazine as designed by Eugene Stoner. I tried a Lancer mag in an MP-10 (SR-25 pattern). The Lancer is straight with no external curve. When inserted in the magwell, the mag appears to be at an angle slightly less than 90 degrees towards the muzzle.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 11-03-19 at 08:25.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The AR-10B was designed to use modified M14 magazines. When used in the M14, the angle of the mag is not quite 90 degrees to the bore. It makes sense that the angle was maintained in the AR-10B for correct feeding, but I don't know for certain.

The other mag commonly used mag is what they call the KAC SR-25 pattern. This is the most common pattern used. It's based on the original AR-10 magazine as designed by Eugene Stoner. I tried a Lancer mag in an MP-10 (SR-25 pattern). The Lancer is straight with no external curve. When inserted in the magwell, the mag appears to have a slight angle.
    Alright this was the answer I was looking for. Luckily I can wire edm the mag well. Either way I was going to wire it. Thanks for the info

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Isn't the magwell already cut? I was assuming you were starting with an 80% lower. Are you machining from a solid block?
    Last edited by MistWolf; 11-03-19 at 08:36.

I am American

Feedback Score
    Isn't the magwell already cut?
    No I’m make the lower receiver myself at work. So I’ll be making it from a solid block myself

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ah. Take photos. I'd like to see how the project progresses.

I am American

Feedback Score
    Ah. Take photos. I'd like to see how the project progresses.
    I surely will I plan on making a few for myself is I order 5 pieces of billet cut to the size I need to start with it’s $38 for a lower

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewskie View Post
    I surely will I plan on making a few for myself is I order 5 pieces of billet cut to the size I need to start with it’s $38 for a lower
    Pretty cool. Look forward to your work and welcome to the forum.