Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt Life?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post

But yes, I was surprised to find that the bolt life for the M16 and M4 were pretty much the same.
    Me too. I see/do an eff-ton of live-fire with both the M16A2/A4 and the M4(A1), and I’ve seen bolt lugs break in the M4, but never in the very tired M16’s. Anecdotes and all. Maybe I need to start hanging around more when they clean them, or talk to the armorers later. Perhaps I’m just not noticing it.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    At around 4:30, he mentioned bolts broken through the cam pin web.

That is not mentioned as a failure mode in any of the reports I have for military M16 or M4s. And, some of these endurance tests go upwards of 15,000 rounds.
    I’ve never seen that type of breakage in person, but the internet contains these stories. I would hypothesize that its because of the differences in a .gov M4 and whatever Bushmaster or PSA are doing.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    I thought Chris Bartocci had some information on this awhile back. Why the bolts were braking and what Colt did to fix the issue. And wasn't that about the time Karl Lewis developed the LMT Enhanced Bolt?
    The first 11 minutes discuss the issue.
    That's a pretty big advertisement for Colt right there, considering you can get them for about half the price of the LMT. I think the price of the lobster tail extractors is the biggest drawback. It doesn't do much good to have a bolt that lasts forever when it takes proprietary extractors that cost sixty dollars each.

Feedback Score
    Looks like Colt changed something in the heat treating process that caused the c158 bolts to brake in half. Not sure what that was because the bolts are mostly unchanged since the late 60's
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Looks like Colt changed something in the heat treating process that caused the c158 bolts to brake in half. Not sure what that was because the bolts are mostly unchanged since the late 60's
    Are you surmising this or is it documented somewhere? Not being a dick, just caught my attention so I was wondering where the source came from.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Are you surmising this or is it documented somewhere? Not being a dick, just caught my attention so I was wondering where the source came from.
    No worries. Isn't that what Chris said in the video?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    I assume sarcasm....

I would say the fact that web cracking occurs to some extent in the civilian world and not mentioned in Army reports indicates:

1) it occurs with equal frequency in both civilian and military rifles, but to an extent low enough that the military does not consider it a problem, but the internet makes it appear it is big problem in civilian rifles,
    2) it occurs in civilian more frequently and indicates a fundamental difference between civilian and military rifles, such as being in an over gassed condition, or
    3) there is a difference between bolts sold to the military and some of those sold on the civilian market.

Pick one, or all....
    Last edited by lysander; 11-03-19 at 18:57.

Feedback Score
    I assume sarcasm....

I would say the fact that web cracking occurs to some extent in the civilian world and not mentioned in Army reports indicates:

1) it occurs with equal frequency in both civilian and military rifles, but to an extent low enough that the military does not consider it a problem, but the internet makes it appear it is big problem in civilian rifles,
    2) it occurs in civilian more frequently and indicates a fundamental difference between civilian and military rifles, such as being in an over gassed condition, or
    3) there is a difference between bolts sold to the military and some of those sold on the civilian market.

Pick one, or all....
    Yeah, all three. Plus some civvies are also putting a considerably higher round count in their rifles than, say, an infantry unit (not talking support units). Not HSLD units mind you, but an average grunt unit, per weapon.

That said, as far as the Army is concerned M855A1 and it's higher pressures have been in general issue for quite some time now. That will no doubt have an effect on bolt life.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Buy an SR-15 and never worry about bolt life again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    Buy an SR-15 and never worry about bolt life again.
    Although it would be less attractive to the civilian market, because it is not a visible change to the outward appearance of the bolt, Low Plasticity Burnishing could easily double bolt life.

I wonder how much it would add to production cost.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast