Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Found my dad's Ka-Bar at my mom's house.

Feedback Score
    A number of years ago my dad had a health issue, so I spent a few weeks with him. He had a full shop so while he was resting I had some projects I wanted to do. I was looking for a tool and found a knife that had a leather sheath that was dried out, it wasn't a kabar but it was a copy of one.

I knew dad had fought in WW2, so I went into the house and asked him about the knife and he confirmed he carried it. He didn't say anything more, and got a little quite. I told him that when I was in uniform I carried a randall and told him had save me once. He replied in a small voice yeah me too on D day.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'd be wary of using steel wool.

My recommendation would be oil and one of the white versions of the "greenie" pads.

I found my father in laws July 1943 KABAR's from his Navy days wasting away on a shelf in his garage. He's no longer with us so I took them home and provided some TLC to the knives, the edges and the leather sheaths. It didn't take a lot to get the surface rust off, I started with oil and a toothbrush, then moved on to use the white pads. They're not perfect, but they're a heck of a lot better now than they were when I found them.

Both of them turned out great, but you can see one is in far better shape than the other.

Last edited by HKGuns; 11-03-19 at 13:13.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12