Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Testing bullets on limbs?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    No, pistol rounds dont blow peoples limbs off. Not even if its a .45 cal.
    Not off, but a hit to bones in the forearm (radius, ulna) may do enough damage to keep a hand from working at all, I'm guessing.

That's what I'd like to see research about. Does a hit to that area with a FMJ .380 do much less damage than a JHP 124 gr +p 9mm?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I was told 10mm does this. The person was serious, too.

Bullets do weird stuff- usually less dramatic than expected. I saw someone shoot a rabbit with a 308 and it left pinholes.
    It did die upon impact.
    One of the weirdest results I ever got messing around with mud testing was with .308. Silver Bear .308 JSP 140 or 145 gr from a G3 clone.

I fired three rounds at about 25 yds into a small box filled with damp dirt. (not quite mud) The box was only about 16" x 12" x 5" thick. (might have been a box cat litter comes in) I expected a blast of dirt out of the top and spray out of the back. Nope! Nothing! And the bullets didn't even go through the box! I would have thought I'd missed if not for the three holes in the face of the box. When I dug I found small pieces of lead and jacket. The bullets didn't expand I don't think, they simply came apart as if they were made of ice. So weird. I would have expected solid bullets from a .22 rifle to have got through but here .308 did not.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    I have seen a number of GSWs to extremities from pistols, various bullets and calibers. They mostly look the same from the outside, ranging from mildly interesting to completely unremarkable round entrance and exit wounds. Often, depending on how it happened, there is more visible damage from burns and stippling than the entrance or exit itself. The interesting stuff is inside the wound, in the healing afterward, and what the bullet looks like if can be recovered.
    Most interesting I've personally seen was a g2 RIP to the arm. It did exactly what its advertised to do.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Most interesting I've personally seen was a g2 RIP to the arm. It did exactly what its advertised to do.
    How much did the trocars penetrate?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    How much did the trocars penetrate?
    It was a .380, several stayed inside, several went several inches to exit.

It actually looked like it did 100% what it does in their clear gel promotionals.

The exits looked like pin-pricks. At first I thought they were just spots where blood had dried, but when I cleaned them up, they bled. Xray showed the tale of the remaining trochars and tipped me off to what had occurred.
    Last edited by WS6; 11-09-19 at 05:57.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    No, pistol rounds dont blow peoples limbs off. Not even if its a .45 cal.
    I have a S&W 329PD that when shot with heavy hard cast feels like you blew your own hand off...

The perils of shooting a 44mag revolver that weighs what a G19 weighs...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12