Thread: My First SBR - 11.5 BCM

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

My First SBR - 11.5 BCM

Quick story: As a kid growing up in the former Soviet Union I only had a chance to eat a banana twice. When my parents told me we would be emigrating to the US, all I wanted to know was; will I be able to have bananas? When we landed in JFK at 3am, the first thing I did was ask if we can go buy some bananas.

Fast forward nearly 30 years and all I wanted when moving from NJ to a free state was an SBR. With the craziness of the move dying down, I finally got my wish.

Lower
    -I already had a BCM lower that I purchased a few years ago and I new I wanted a "full" BCM rifle. I eForm(ed)1 the lower and got my approval in 41 days. Sent it out to get laser engraved and got it back in less than a week. Time to build.
    -There is nothing wrong with the factory BCM trigger, but in May I won a Geissele SSAe at a Costa class by being the first to finish a drill/competition. So why not, let's upgrade the trigger.
    -I also installed a Law Tactical Folder because I like the idea of being able to carry it in smaller, more discreet cases.
    -I know some will bust my chops about the Magpul BAD Lever but I've had it on all my rifles and never had a failure due to the added weight on the mag release. If anything it makes me a little faster on reloads and it really helps on malfunction clearing.

Upper
    -For the upper I chose the 11.5" MLok BFH offering from BCM. I figured the 11.5 is a happy medium for a first SBR. Isn't so short that I may have to resolve reliability issues, but it is short enough to feel the difference from my pinned 14.5's and 16's.
    -The BCG is BCM as well, nothing to be said here, they are the best.
    -After posting an opinion thread on M4C I got a lot of votes for the Geissele ACH. I picked one up a while back and love it. Got another one for this build.
    -I swapped the A2 flash hider with a DeadAir three prong hider/mount. Nothing wrong with the A2 but I have two DeadAir cans in ATF jail so I figured I may as well be prepared.
    -I run a Surefire M300 with an SR07 switch on my main training gun, but I wanted to see if the less expensive option from Streamlight was a viable one. It is a considerably larger but it fits well with a HSP MLok SBR mount.
    -The only thing I didn't like was the way the remote switch mounts onto the rail The small clips that come with the Streamlight don't seem as good as the molded SR07 from Surefire. I ordered the Cloud Defensive switch mount, it's light and solid. No complaints.
    -I wanted to get the BCM branded Troy backup sights, but the plain Troy ones were must cheaper. As much of a label whore as I am, I couldn't justify it, so plain Troy front and rear it is.
    -For the optic I went with the MRO. I have had good luck with it on my other rifle, ideally I would run an Aimpoint T2, maybe I'll upgrade it sometime in the future.

I am really happy with the result. I plan to run it in all the future training classes I take. Can't wait for the can to be approved.

So far I got 4 rounds through it. I was doing some function checks and the RSO told me to go Eff myself because I was using steel cased ammo. Oh well. Next time.

AV1_0193.jpg
    AV1_0207.jpg

Love this forum for all the information it provides. Thanks everyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Aesthetic

Also, that RSO is a sniveling little bitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Seems very well though out. I hope you enjoy it when you get to shoot it.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You make a nice banana split!
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    No steel cases mixed in with the brass cases going to the recycling center.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Nice build. I put together a similar BCM 11.5” when Illinois made SBRs 5 years ago. Freedom baby!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Congrats Alex!
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Sweet rifle. Again, welcome to the Carolinas.

Who did the engraving?
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Sweet rifle. Again, welcome to the Carolinas.

Who did the engraving?
    Thank you!

I had Tar Heel State Firearms do the engraving. Nice clean laser engraving, I am very pleased. I send the lower to them on a Saturday, They got it on Monday and send it back to me the same day, had it back on Wednesday.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.