Thread: My First SBR - 11.5 BCM

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

My First SBR - 11.5 BCM

Quick story: As a kid growing up in the former Soviet Union I only had a chance to eat a banana twice. When my parents told me we would be emigrating to the US, all I wanted to know was; will I be able to have bananas? When we landed in JFK at 3am, the first thing I did was ask if we can go buy some bananas.

Fast forward nearly 30 years and all I wanted when moving from NJ to a free state was an SBR. With the craziness of the move dying down, I finally got my wish.

Lower
    -I already had a BCM lower that I purchased a few years ago and I new I wanted a "full" BCM rifle. I eForm(ed)1 the lower and got my approval in 41 days. Sent it out to get laser engraved and got it back in less than a week. Time to build.
    -There is nothing wrong with the factory BCM trigger, but in May I won a Geissele SSAe at a Costa class by being the first to finish a drill/competition. So why not, let's upgrade the trigger.
    -I also installed a Law Tactical Folder because I like the idea of being able to carry it in smaller, more discreet cases.
    -I know some will bust my chops about the Magpul BAD Lever but I've had it on all my rifles and never had a failure due to the added weight on the mag release. If anything it makes me a little faster on reloads and it really helps on malfunction clearing.

Upper
    -For the upper I chose the 11.5" MLok BFH offering from BCM. I figured the 11.5 is a happy medium for a first SBR. Isn't so short that I may have to resolve reliability issues, but it is short enough to feel the difference from my pinned 14.5's and 16's.
    -The BCG is BCM as well, nothing to be said here, they are the best.
    -After posting an opinion thread on M4C I got a lot of votes for the Geissele ACH. I picked one up a while back and love it. Got another one for this build.
    -I swapped the A2 flash hider with a DeadAir three prong hider/mount. Nothing wrong with the A2 but I have two DeadAir cans in ATF jail so I figured I may as well be prepared.
    -I run a Surefire M300 with an SR07 switch on my main training gun, but I wanted to see if the less expensive option from Streamlight was a viable one. It is a considerably larger but it fits well with a HSP MLok SBR mount.
    -The only thing I didn't like was the way the remote switch mounts onto the rail The small clips that come with the Streamlight don't seem as good as the molded SR07 from Surefire. I ordered the Cloud Defensive switch mount, it's light and solid. No complaints.
    -I wanted to get the BCM branded Troy backup sights, but the plain Troy ones were must cheaper. As much of a label whore as I am, I couldn't justify it, so plain Troy front and rear it is.
    -For the optic I went with the MRO. I have had good luck with it on my other rifle, ideally I would run an Aimpoint T2, maybe I'll upgrade it sometime in the future.

I am really happy with the result. I plan to run it in all the future training classes I take. Can't wait for the can to be approved.

So far I got 4 rounds through it. I was doing some function checks and the RSO told me to go Eff myself because I was using steel cased ammo. Oh well. Next time.

AV1_0193.jpg
    AV1_0207.jpg

Love this forum for all the information it provides. Thanks everyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ..It was you to me who taught
    In Jersey anythings' legal, as long as you don't get caught.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Aesthetic

Also, that RSO is a sniveling little bitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Answer The Bell...” J.W.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Seems very well though out. I hope you enjoy it when you get to shoot it.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You make a nice banana split!
    INSIDE PLAN OF BOX
    1. ROAD-RUNNER LIFTS GLASS OF WATER- PULLING UP MATCH
    2. MATCH SCRATCHES ON MATCH-BOX
    3. MATCH LIGHTS FUSE TO TNT
    4. BOOM!
    5. HA-HA!!

-WILE E. COYOTE, AUTHOR OF "EVERYTHING I NEEDED TO KNOW IN LIFE, I LEARNED FROM GOLDBERG & MURPHY"

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No steel cases mixed in with the brass cases going to the recycling center.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Nice build. I put together a similar BCM 11.5” when Illinois made SBRs 5 years ago. Freedom baby!

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Congrats Alex!
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Barrels - 16" MPR, 14.5" MPC, 11.5" CQB, 9" PDW
    BRT OPTIMUM-S Barrel - 11.5" CQB Suppressor Gas Drive
    BRT OPTIMUM-S Barrel - 11.5" SB Suppressor, 11.5" SBT 25 Deg Tapered Shoulder Suppressor
    BRT Covert Comps 7.62, 5.56, 6X, 9mm
    BRT MarkBlue Gas Tubes - BRT EXT, EXC and PDW Lengths
    BRT EZTUNE Gas Tubes - CAR and MID
    BRT MicroPin Gas Blocks - .750" & .625"
    BRT MicroTUNE Adjustable Gas Blocks
    BRT CustomTUNE Gas Ports

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sweet rifle. Again, welcome to the Carolinas.

Who did the engraving?
    RLTW

“That is why there isn't an AK chart.” -SteyrAUG
    “They eat tide pods also so what's your point?” Retrorevolver77

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Sweet rifle. Again, welcome to the Carolinas.

Who did the engraving?
    Thank you!

I had Tar Heel State Firearms do the engraving. Nice clean laser engraving, I am very pleased. I send the lower to them on a Saturday, They got it on Monday and send it back to me the same day, had it back on Wednesday.
    ..It was you to me who taught
    In Jersey anythings' legal, as long as you don't get caught.