Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to become a good shooter

Feedback Score

I want to become a good shooter

Hey guys, first, I really appreciate your insight and opinions here, thank you.

I have a glock 19 and an m&p 9mm. I appreciate the ergos more on the m&p but the glock I can adapt to for the most part. I shoot the m&p more accurately overall and it is easier to shoot better. With the glock it feels like I am putting together steps for a process to be carried out. The m&p naturally allows me to focus on sights and trigger and driving the gun with good follow through. The glock just isn't as natural is what I guess I am saying.

I want to have the ability to shoot whatever is in my hand. If I continue with just the m&p and grow in proficiency with it, will that increase my ability with the glock as time goes on?

I ask this because the glock is the most common handgun all around especially law enforcement/shtf scenario. Or is the m&p the "new" glock in this time?

Thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Go train with a tier 1 instructor.

Border Rat that returned to Indian Territory.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    Go train with a tier 1 instructor.
    This, above

Also, continue taking more classes, and not with the fudd from your local range. Also a mandatory CCW class is not a class, it is minimal requirements for a CCW. It is not going to teach you proficiency.
    Last edited by arbninftry; 11-02-19 at 20:36.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Just pick one and stick with it. I'll admit to pissing away too much of my time playing around with different guns/disciplines rather than getting better.

1) Find a credible instructor that will help with mechanics. Not a fantasy gun camp guy or someone that's going to put you through a training grinder without feedback. Ernest Langdon is a good example. Be a sponge and take good notes

2) Apply what you have learned and develop some practice/training outlines off the above. This may only be dry-fire in your home.
    2a) Try competing...even in small stuff and see what areas need work. Address these areas in daily regimine

3) Self-evaluate (run "tests" or drills with metrics and see where you stand. Diagnose areas that need correction and seek out further instruction.

4) Intermediate instruction - Find instructor that can diagnose minor mechanical issues/inefficiences of intermediate/advanced shooters

Repeat all the above.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 11-02-19 at 20:41.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    If you shoot the M&P better, go with it.

And yes, as you grow as a shooter, the Glock will become easier.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    One tool that has been helpful outside of instructor training is the use of a MantisX https://mantisx.com/

Let’s you see how you shots are breaking and you can see how you progress. This is just another tool in the toolbox when you are doing dry fire training although it can be used in live fire too.

Not a substitute for training but rather in addition too.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    "Becoming a good shooter" is not going to happen without specific direction. People's perception and reference standards vary. I've seen enough people who think highly of their skills and who I personally think aren't anything shooting-wise. You need to define what "good shooter" means for you; you, me, or others who posted in this thread may have different views on that. You need to define that in quantifiable terms, set up specific performance goals, identify people who have achieved or exceeded these goals, and learn from them. If you don't define specific performance goals, everything that you've been told here will be just a general exercise without any direction.
    Things like recoil control, shoot calling, overall gun handling will transfer from M&P to Glock. However, Glock trigger is Glock trigger so if you want to be good with a Glock, you have to shoot a Glock.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JA8891 View Post
    Hey guys, first, I really appreciate your insight and opinions here, thank you.

I have a glock 19 and an m&p 9mm. I appreciate the ergos more on the m&p but the glock I can adapt to for the most part. I shoot the m&p more accurately overall and it is easier to shoot better. With the glock it feels like I am putting together steps for a process to be carried out. The m&p naturally allows me to focus on sights and trigger and driving the gun with good follow through. The glock just isn't as natural is what I guess I am saying.

I want to have the ability to shoot whatever is in my hand. If I continue with just the m&p and grow in proficiency with it, will that increase my ability with the glock as time goes on?

I ask this because the glock is the most common handgun all around especially law enforcement/shtf scenario. Or is the m&p the "new" glock in this time?

Thanks guys.
    Skills transfer. Based on your post, the gun probably wont matter. Shooting one better could just be hiding flaws that you’ll need to eventually address, so just do it now. I would suggest training with the glock since its harder for you.

Dry fire every day: trigger control, draws, reloads, target transitions, and moving while maintaining muzzle awareness.
    Learn to smash a trigger and not move the sights.

If getting good quick is higher priority than money, take a class with a good shooter/teacher. Someone like JJ Racazza or Ben Stoeger would probably be great. Take lots of notes.

I would suggest doing some USPSA or similar matches to get used to moving with the gun. Have someone video-record you and analyze the vids to knock out the low hanging fruit... once you hit a roadblock, then take a class.

If you are completely new, maybe take a basic class with a lower level instructor first.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 11-02-19 at 22:49.

Feedback Score
    While I absolutely second training with good instruction, there are some good videos out there that can help develop some skills in the meantime. While I could pick up most anything and punch pretty decent groups on a piece of paper, I didn't have a lot of practical skills. I ran into the Lucky Gunner "Start Shooting Better" series on Youtube, and that was my intro to some guidance on improving my skills. Some of the things they do there can help. The most recent was "how to practice" where Ernest Langdon gives some really good pointers on how to start a practice regimen. I found I was focused on a lot of the wrong thing, a lot of my shooting went from intermediate distances (10-25 yards) to the 3-7 yard distance, and getting more speed and efficiency. By the time I took my first "formal" training a couple months ago, I got some pretty nice compliments from instructors.

I continue to work those drills. I trained with another company here recently, although they were a bit farther away. I'm really on the hunt for a trainer to fit as someone I can regularly train with to identify consistent issues.

If it was me, I'd stick with what you shoot best, at least for a time. Get where you're comfortable with it, shoot it well. Then switch, and shoot the Glock exclusively until you're there with it, too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast