Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want to become a good shooter

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Let me know where Proctor competes so I can look at his results. His USPSA membership number doesn't exist in the classification lookup database.
    Oh really, Never had a reason to look anything up.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    In my time as a LEO and Firearms Instructor, I was a good + shooter most days. Somedays I was very good and surprised myself.
    When I was teaching I was just good, because I was concentrating on the line, instructing, correcting and safety lookout.
    We would have friendly shooting at the end of class and sometimes students actually shot better than me.
    THEY always bring it up that they out shot the instructor.
    My answer is always, Well, I guess I taught you well and you practiced what you learned.
    Be good at pistolcraft, always strive to be better and faster.
    2nd place in a gunfight is 1st looser.

Dry firing with an EMPTY GUN, No ammo in the room. From the holster you plan on wearing on the belt mounted to the pants/jeans.
    Some say even the shoes/boots you wear.
    Learn to grip you gun in the holster right the first time. Draw, marry/join with support hand and push out towards the target.
    Trigger control
    Use a quarter balanced on the top of slide, then a nickel, penny, last a dime, dry firing without it falling off. Train to not snap or jerk the trigger. Less Sight Upset, Less chance of missing intended target.
    This works better on a revolver with a narrow flat rib on the barrel, ie: S&W

Last edited by RWH24; 11-03-19 at 20:14.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Last edited by RWH24; 11-03-19 at 20:16.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWH24 View Post
    Oh really, Never had a reason to look anything up.
    I am nosey that way. I compete and work pretty hard on achieving whatever little I can achieve. If an instructor uses their USPSA rank or experience as a part of their sales pitch, I want to know who they actually are in the USPSA world.
    Furthermore, if I can't pull their record because their number is gone, it is a red flag for me.

Feedback Score
    Lucky to have had access to a retired Army Ranger and former LEO who started a business training military and LEO units. From there he branched out and started offering civilian classes and since 2010 it's been anywhere from four to eight or nine classes each year. Great part was he brought in Larry Vickers, Max Joseph, Pat McNamara and several others with options for his best students through private contract courses. One thing I have learned is these top tier trainers have lots of real-world experience and credibility with gun fights. Another point to make is they tend to have strong bonds and friendships. Pretty much all of them agree the best way to survive a gunfight is to avoid them altogether. However, bad things sometimes happen to good people. And under stress you will always revert back to your particular level of training. So practicing fundamentals is a common theme with all these guys. From there each one tends to branch out and focus on different variations on the underlying theme which is to keep yourself and your loved ones safe in the event you ever do face a bad situation. I have done a fair amount of shooting in a bullseye league as well and that has advantages too but with more limitations on many fundamentals such as indoor ranges forbidding draw from holster, movement while shooting, magazine changes and the like. Never got into any of the run-and-gun competitions either because I see more tactical issues than advantages, and probably more potential legal issues with habits ingrained while trying to race against a clock with loaded firearms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twohassez View Post
    Lucky to have had access to a retired Army Ranger and former LEO who started a business training military and LEO units. From there he branched out and started offering civilian classes and since 2010 it's been anywhere from four to eight or nine classes each year. Great part was he brought in Larry Vickers, Max Joseph, Pat McNamara and several others with options for his best students through private contract courses. One thing I have learned is these top tier trainers have lots of real-world experience and credibility with gun fights. Another point to make is they tend to have strong bonds and friendships. Pretty much all of them agree the best way to survive a gunfight is to avoid them altogether. However, bad things sometimes happen to good people. And under stress you will always revert back to your particular level of training. So practicing fundamentals is a common theme with all these guys. From there each one tends to branch out and focus on different variations on the underlying theme which is to keep yourself and your loved ones safe in the event you ever do face a bad situation. I have done a fair amount of shooting in a bullseye league as well and that has advantages too but with more limitations on many fundamentals such as indoor ranges forbidding draw from holster, movement while shooting, magazine changes and the like. Never got into any of the run-and-gun competitions either because I see more tactical issues than advantages, and probably more potential legal issues with habits ingrained while trying to race against a clock with loaded firearms.
    What kind of habits do you think you would pick up?

Things I’ve picked up- how to move with a handgun while maintaining muzzle awareness.
    -knowing what I can hit, how fast, when on auto-pilot(shooting wise)
    -what my performance is when moving at different speeds(can I walk, run, etc)

Are you also concerned about habits ingrained from bullseye shooting?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 11-04-19 at 13:05.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    just practice with what you shoot the best.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by twohassez View Post
    Never got into any of the run-and-gun competitions either because I see more tactical issues than advantages, and probably more potential legal issues with habits ingrained while trying to race against a clock with loaded firearms.
    The very folks that you list in your post recommend and have participated in action pistol competitions like IDPA, USPSA, etc. The idea that it will get you "killed in da streetz" is garbage, and debunked.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benhou View Post
    just practice with what you shoot the best.

No. This will get you killed unless you worship at the altar of Gaston Glock. Four out of five people who carry the M&P get toasted when the gangstas show up. As a previous contributor said, the M&P [and therefore Sig, VP-9, and everything else ever made or to be made] was not, is not, and never will be a Glock. Say: "Just practice with Glock."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    No. This will get you killed unless you worship at the altar of Gaston Glock. Four out of five people who carry the M&P get toasted when the gangstas show up. As a previous contributor said, the M&P [and therefore Sig, VP-9, and everything else ever made or to be made] was not, is not, and never will be a Glock. Say: "Just practice with Glock."
    If that was tongue-in-cheek, okay.

Otherwise - when was the last time you went to the doctor, because some of your posts lately........
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast