Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Johnny's Reloading Bench temperature sensitivity testing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Johnny's Reloading Bench temperature sensitivity testing

Should be of interest for those of us shooting in wide temperature ranges.

Feedback Score
    This is an exciting new powder. I’m very interested in giving it a go, but I’m not sure how valid Johnny’s technique is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I watched the video and can say I'm not surprised that a ball powder can't live up to the hype compared to the proven extruded offerings in temp stability. I was skeptical from the first announcement. A man can dream for an easy metering spherical powder that doesn't move with temps though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This seems like a slower-burning version of dense ball powders like Alliant 2000-MR. These new generation powders are indeed better than older stuff like H335, BLC-2, H414, etc... But they are still are not as good as the extruded powders.

Closest we can get to the pipe dream is short-cut, small grain extruded powders like 8208 XBR

Feedback Score
    The video’s testing procedure is wrong and real conclusions can’t be drawn. He just picked random loads.

None of the loads were tuned to the gun. If one is outside the node, temperature variation has a greater impact than it does when a load is firmly planted in the middle of the node. I take it with a grain of salt. The powder could be descent or it could be terrible as well.

Before I could decide, I would want to develop a load at a moderate temperature and ensure that +/- 0.2 gr. of my target load did not have a significant impact on my velocity. That would help insulate the load, to some degree, from temperature swings.

While I’ve loaded a fair bit of ammo on progressive presses, even ball powder has proven not to meter up to my expectations with the onboard powder dispensers. I’ve taken to throwing cases in an electronic dispenser/scale combination using a powder funnel die. It’s mildly slower, but something like an Auto Trickler makes it a minor inconvenience.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    It’s mildly slower, but something like an Auto Trickler makes it a minor inconvenience.
    Since we're in the reloading forum...

How does the Auto Trickler compare with something like an RCBS Chargemaster?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Since we're in the reloading forum...

How does the Auto Trickler compare with something like an RCBS Chargemaster?
    It’s significantly faster and significantly more accurate. I get as much as a half grain drift with the chargemaster. This can be mitigated a few ways and makes “good enough” ammunition. The scale just isn’t up to snuff.

The auto trickler is a true lab grade scale.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    The auto trickler is a true lab grade scale...
    I can't even find a price for it... I bet it's way more than $200, right? (That's what a Chargemaster Lite costs.)

Feedback Score
    I can't even find a price for it... I bet it's way more than $200, right? (That's what a Chargemaster Lite costs.)
    Yeah you’re looking closer to a grand.

Area 419 sells them set up. Brownells sells the parts and you can assemble your own.

RCBS has a new version coming out called the Matchmaster or something such which claims 0.02gr accuracy and sub ten second charges which is as fast as I could run my progressive press anyway with manual bullet and case feeding (which I want for Precision loads).

Feedback Score
    Like $1400

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast