Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Police Trade-In Lowers. Dealing with PD markings

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Keep the markings... starting to get rare that agencies allow market guns into the commercial market. A lot destroy them so an ex-firearm can’t be linked to a crime.

On the Federal level, I’d love to buy my H&K when we switch to Glocks (issued a brand new gun)... but ultimately going into the shredder.
    Yep. NJ shredded a ton of HK P7 frames a few years ago. All they ended up selling were small parts. Honolulu shredded their SW 5906 not long ago as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Police Trade-In Lowers. Dealing with PD markings

Their P228s met the same fate. Do wonder if the P229s they rejected prior to the Glocks were melted down...

Got to sit down one day and update my location on all the forums I’m on. Got out of NJ a few months back.
    Last edited by Screwball; 11-05-19 at 07:47.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's right, forgot about the 228

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'd hang onto the bill of sale, in case a Lawman ever asks why you have a police-marked firearm in your possession.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I'd hang onto the bill of sale, in case a Lawman ever asks why you have a police-marked firearm in your possession.
    Do you bring the receipt with you when you take the firearm out?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Do you bring the receipt with you when you take the firearm out?
    I'd keep a copy in the car. Might save losing the gun and doing time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd keep a copy in the car. Might save losing the gun and doing time.
    I don't think doing time is much of a possibility.

The PD would/should have records of which FFL received the rifles, plus records removing the rifle from inventory. That FFL would in turn have records showing where the rifle went and so on....

Tracing the path of a rifle/lower with PD markings through legitimate channels should be a task the newest detective could handle.

That being said, keeping a copy of the receipt is certainly a good idea, although IDK if I'd go so far as to keep a copy in the car.

Diamondback got me thinking about saving the scans of my NFA forms onto a flash drive and shoving it in the range bag, a copy of a receipt for a rifle marked 'Detroit PD' would probably be included.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Doing time for what? The gun in it's configuration is not illegal. You didn't buy a post 86 select fire rifle. So unless you broke into a police station, police car or knocked out a cop and took his gun you didn't do anything illegal.

80-90% of my guns are police trade-in. Most of those have some sort of agency identifying markings. Everything from electo-pencil scribble to full blown laser etched billboards. My one G17 has Arlington VA, I believe, taking up the whole area forward of the ejection port. You can see that sucker from 50ft away and it's the gun I take to all classes. In fact there is a whole subsection of collectors who specifically look for agency issued guns.

You can even buy a used police car with side mounted spot lights! There's nothing illegal about it and no one did time for it.

Feedback Score
    These PD markings are cryptic letters and numbers - i.e. GA#104. You can determine nothing from these electric pen etched numbers and letters.

You could run into more issues years from now when some youngster in a position of authority questions the LE/Govt Use only roll mark on the right side of the mag well. Right now they're kind of a novelty, but unfortunately a lot of my AR purchases have them.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    I don't have the upper but the lower is a Sporter Target Model marked .223 as well as AR-15. It also has the Restricted LE/Govt Use on the right side of the mag well. The sloppy and uneven PD electric pen carvings are above the fire control pins on the right side.
    I would not use it for a M16A1 clone as it will be nowhere near correct. You best bet is to get a BRN-16A1 lower from Brownells and use that lower for some sort of A2 build. That said, if you are not concerned about the correctness of the proposed M16A1 clone build, then use that lower, but the lower profile and markings will detract from the overall build. In that respect, I would just call it a M16A1-inspired build and not a clone.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12