Quote Originally Posted by lowprone View Post
I would just find a Springfield SAR 48 and be done with it.
Itajuba factory pre ban forged receiver, metric, prices are very reasonable, now,
who knows about tomorrow
Reasonable or not, that's a $2500+ rifle. I had a Springfield SAR-4800 (thumbhole version of the SAR-48 with no flash hider). It was factory built by Imbel. The chamber was grossly oversized and headspace was excessive. I built an STG-58 from a kit on an Entreprise receiver. Because it's way more accurate than the SAR-4800 and doesn't destroy brass like the SAR-4800, I sold the SAR-4800. The bottom line here is that while "factory" built is better as far as collectability and value goes, it doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get a better performing rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by sig1473 View Post
That's not an Imbel receiver. I can see "Canada" marked on the receiver. That is more than likely a Century cobbled together FAL. I think the guy is being less than truthful IMHO.
I have a Century FAL (in 5.56x45 no less) that has an Imbel receiver and is marked Canada, so they do exist. It's likely true that it was put together by a gunsmith, but you don't know if the Century gunsmith was a monkey or not.