Thread: Which one would you pick: ACIS (older model) or Magpul Pro Chassis?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Which one would you pick: ACIS (older model) or Magpul Pro Chassis?

Thinking of building up a .300WM but not sure which stock/chassis system.
    Nullus amicus melior - Nullus inimicus perior

Feedback Score
    I think both are fine as far as function. You should, if you can, get behind both and see what works best for you. I may like blondes and you may like brunettes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Try them out. I looked at the magpul pro chassis, its neat and well made. Its been onsale at primary arms off and on for around 800 or so. Might keep and eye peeled.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I don't know your background, but if you don't currently own a rifle with a caliber larger than 5.56...

then skip the .300WM for now

6.5CM or .308WIN will do you fine unless you're going past 1000 regularly

.300WM is expensive, hard recoiling, and not worth shooting under 1000 IMO

more training, more shots with 6.5 or .223

wind reading and knowing your dope>caliber

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Hey-how did you come up with that advice with a user name such as yours?

OP, look hard at this.

Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    I don't know your background, but if you don't currently own a rifle with a caliber larger than 5.56...

GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Celt View Post
    Thinking of building up a .300WM but not sure which stock/chassis system.
    Instead of the 300WM, perhaps you might want to consider the 300PRC.

https://www.hornady.com/300prc#!/

Feedback Score
    It sounds like you already have 300WM barreled action? If you do, and have a lot of ammo, might as well use it- you'll burn the barrel pretty quickly

As others have pointed out for gaming the 6.5 seems to have won, and the new 300PRC will give you 300WM performance in a short-action for hunting if round diameter/energy are concerns.

I have a couple of old AICS stocks and I like them, but I went with Viper skins for a better hand/thumb position. I'm also a Magpul bitch and those look nice too, but never handled one.

AICS gets complex when it comes to bipods. Lot's of options, but you need to go from a spigot or the channel under the handguard to some kind of rail or sling stud to mount the bipod. On the spigot is too far for some people to reach easily.

To me, AICS/AI rifles are the 1911 of long range shooting. The standard to which all others are compared. Nothing screams SNIPER like a the tan or dark green AI colors.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    the new 300PRC will give you 300WM performance in a short-action for hunting if round diameter/energy are concerns.

AICS gets complex when it comes to bipods. Lot's of options, but you need to go from a spigot or the channel under the handguard to some kind of rail or sling stud to mount the bipod. On the spigot is too far for some people to reach easily.
    The first point regarding the 300 PRC is incorrect. It is a long action round.

The second part is spot on. If you can score an old school AICS chassis for dirt cheap then they're a great option. If prices are similar to newer chassis systems I wouldn't even give them a second thought. Getting a solid bipod mount or clipping into a tripod is a pain in the ass and ends up costing money.

ETA: As said above, if you don't already have a 6.5 or .308 class of rifle. I highly recommend going that route instead. Much cheaper to shoot, barrels will last longer, and much easier on the shooter.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pyrotechnic; 02-02-20 at 23:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrotechnic View Post
    The first point regarding the 300 PRC is incorrect. It is a long action round.
    Thanks. Someone at Hornady needs their ass kicked for calling it a 300PRC after the 6.5PRC came out when they are based on different cartridges. I've read a bit about the 6.5PRC and assumed a 300PRC was just necked up. It isn't even close. Thanks for the correction.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post

Completely agree. Unless you want to shoot a long way or hunt past 700 yards I’d steer clear of the 300WM. Your wallet and shoulder will thank you.