Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reloading advice...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    jmart, you are correct.

According to the X-die instructions (find them online here) you should trim to 0.020" under maximum length for best results.

According to Lee FAQ for Case length gauge tolerance it will trim to "somewhere between max and min case length."

According to Accurate Powder the max/min case lengths differ by 0.020" also (same as what RCBS recommends.

So technically the Lee trimmer does not guarantee "best results" with the X-die, but in practice it has done OK for me. Mine is about 0.016" less than max. This may work because I do not load to max powder weight/pressure and there is not as much strain put on the cases?

One alternative is to get a case trimmer from Lyman, RCBS, or Hornady that will run $60 - $100, but will allow you to ensure you trim the full 0.20" to min case length.

Or, as jmart points out, you could also forgo the X-die and just use a case trimmer more often. That also reduces the case life to maybe 5 reloads instead of 15 or more (I only read the tests for this life expetancy; I am only on the third round of reloads with this).

Also, I forgot to mention you want a little case chamfer tool to deburr the case mouth inside and out after doing the case trim.

ETA: I agree with the last bit of advice too. If you are just shooting a couple of hundreds rounds a month the turret press is plenty good. Butif you are shooting competition and going through a thousand rounds every weekend then you want the bench top factory, a Dillon. Dillon is very robust and really spits out the cartridges, but the ones I have seen take quite a bit of time to set up for another cartridge. I can change my turret press from one cartridge to another in about 5 minutes. If you have the need and the money a Dillon is top of the line and will last forever, and have excellent customer service. The Dillon start at about $350 just for the press. On the less-cost end of the scale, I have loaded a few hundred rounds per month for many years on a Lee press ($20 at the time), used a mix of Lee and other dies and tools and never had to use any of their customer services. Anyway you go you will have a lot of fun and learn more about cartridges and this aspect shooting then you ever dreamed of.
    Last edited by NWPilgrim; 11-17-08 at 20:32.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys for catching that. I will probably get set up in about a month. My wife and I are moving to a new place and things will get a little crazy. I did build myself a nice bench in anticipation! When things settle down a bit I pick up this thread again and let you know what I did. Again, much thanks.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    NW Pilgrim posted some excellent info.

I use a Lyman T Mag turret press with good results. This is about as simple as a press gets. I like it. You will quickly get tired of a single stage press. I would also recommend a digital scale such as the Pact BBK.

Use the Lee adjustable powder bar. Skip the auto disks. The upgrade is inexpensive and gives you much more flexibility.

Feedback Score
    I bought a 550B intent on shooting high volumes of 55gr ball. I also picked up a Lee classic cast press for doing the odd operation here and there, and for future bolt gun projects.

What I've found is that I wouldn't want to give up the 550B, since the ability to rapidly put out 1 or 2 hundred rounds for a range trip is handy. However, I've been bitten by the same accuracy bug as most reloaders, and have used the Lee press more than I expected. I could get by with my Lee press if needed - and I'd probably get ammo that was a little more accurate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12