Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading advice...

Feedback Score

Reloading advice...

Being that BHO might also go after ammo with a tax I like others have been thinking about reloading. I don't really know much at all about it. I will probably only ever reload one or two calibers...5.56 being #1 and maybe a pistol later.

Where do I start? What is a good starter set-up? I'm not looking for a prestigious name, just something that works.

Thanks

Feedback Score

Reloading advice...please

Thanks,
    Last edited by my65swede@yahoo.com; 11-16-08 at 18:06. Reason: MERGED FROM AR DISCUSSION SECTION: please do not cross-post to multiple forum sections

Feedback Score

Never done it before...ready to try!

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    Last edited by my65swede@yahoo.com; 11-16-08 at 18:07. Reason: MERGED FROM GENERAL DISCUSSION SECTION: please do not cross-post to multiple forum sections

Feedback Score
    good info here
    http://brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html

I am going to get a dillon 650 myself I used to do some reloading way back in the 80s
    lucky I dont live to far from Dillon so went in and looked and checked em out etc....

they have a pretty good name and warranty etc..

I dont have trust he wont be taxing primers and other things also !!

my thought is I am going to get enough to reload 20k rounds and pick up 5k PRVI ammo and use it for the brass
    my goal will be to buy this much each year as long as I can

if I see things coming might try to buy more ? as I say its nice to have guns but they do no good with out ammo and practice

Feedback Score
    If you're serious, buy once and cry once, i.e. spend some good money on a setup. That said, if you just want to get your feet wet and see if it is something you want to monkey with, you may be better served with an inexpensive single stage kit like one of the ones Lee makes.

I use a Dillon XL650. I have probably loaded in excess of 50k rounds on this press. I enjoy reloading, it is a nifty hobby that allows me to shoot more for less money. Being able to stockpile homemade ammo is a useful side benefit.

Feedback Score
    What is your budget?

BTW, there are tons of threads on this board that already answer these questions. Might want to spend some time searching, then formulate some questions.

Feedback Score
    I think my budget should be between $250-$500. I didn't search, because I really have no clue what I'm looking for. I see a lot of threads about powder loads,primers and bullets etc. I think what I want is some models to look at that fit into this price range. Maybe something that can do it all in one stroke. Does someone make a good starter package for a beginner?
    Last edited by my65swede@yahoo.com; 11-17-08 at 00:31.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Checkout the reloading threads here, and also the section at www.TheFiringLine.com/forums where there is a sticky about getting started and many similar threads as well. Search for posts by CrustyFN, especially towards his start up a couple of years ago.

For under $500 I suggest the Lee Classic Turret press setup. It is about $90 for the press and you can use it as a single stage or 4-stage turret. I am not going to list the prices,but Lee stuff is very functional (I have used a Lee single stage press for 20 years and just added the Turret press this year) and is about 1/2 - 2/3 the price of most other brands.

Suggested list of stuff (all Lee brand except as noted; and assuming you are just doing informal target shooting not precision competition shooting)
    -Lee reloading manual and either Lyman reloading manual (if shooting cast bullets) or Speer reloading manual (if shooting Speer or generic jacketed bullets).

- Classic Turret Press (get an extra turret if you plan to reload a second caliber soon)

- Pro Auto-Disk powder measure with die lift/spacer kit and double disk kit. You can also get the Micro Adjust kit for the AutoDisk measure for finer increments.

- powder scale (I use RCBS 10-10, but the Lee should be fine to start)

- Safety Prime with small and large primer arms (attaches to press)

-Dial calipers (for measuring case and overall cartridge length; I have a Dillon, but I imagine any brand like Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady are fine)

- RCBS X-Die set for .223 (special sizing die to keep cases from lengthening and extends case life, includes seating die)

- Lee Rifle Charging Die (powder measure attaches to top and powder pours though to case) and .223 Factory Crimp Die (apply variable crimp to case mouth) if you are shooting semi-auto rifle instead of bolt action.

(Your .223 turret will have dies in this order: RCBS X-die to decap primers and full length size; Lee rifle charging die; RCBS seating die; Lee Factory crimp die, just don't over do it )

- Lee pistol 4-die set for whatever caliber (optional if you are not doing that yet)

- case lube, pad, brush for getting inside case necks (or spray lube of various brands)

- primer pocket brush (to get old primer gunk out of pockets)

- Primer pocket swag die if you will be reloading military brass (LC, PMC, NATO, etc). I have a heavy duty bench model from Dillon, but I think RCBS and Lee make a cheaper press die for this.

-Lee .223 case trimmer for first time trimming before using the X-die (comes with the universal case cutter and a .223 specific length gauge)

- Tumbler and polishing media like walnut or corncob (I have a large Midway model, but any brand is fine)

* Keep it simple at first. Get one powder such as Varget, H335, IMR4064, or IMR4198; one bullet weight (or two weights close together such as 55 gr and 62 gr, since a big difference in weight may need a second powder); and one primer (Winchester Small Rifle or or CCI #41 military small rifle). Same for a pistol: Unique or Universal clays for a powder, almost any primer, and one bullet style (cast lead or jacketed of one or similar weights).

- Inertia bullet puller (the reloading"eraser"; my RCBS puller has lasted 20 years with just one O-ring replacement)

* You do not need rifle case trimming stuff if you use the X-die sizer.
    * You do not need to trim pistol cases for length
    * You do not need a hand primer tool right off, because you have the press primer tool. You may want one later so you can prime cases in front of the TV.
    * You don't need reloading blocks to hold cases with a turret press. I use coffee cans and yogurt containers to hold a couple of hundred cases, bullets, and cartridges at a time. Get one block if you want just in case.

Read the manuals first. The reloading process is fairly simple, but you need to be organized, take your time, and if ever you have a doubt, then start over on that case or batch.

The most critical steps for safety are:
    - priming the case (use right tool and primer for the case, seat firmly but not forcefully)

- charging case with powder (use the right amount and don't miss a case or double charge a case)

- seating depth and mild crimping if for semi-auto (pressure rises exponentially with the bullet seated deeper).

Starting out, there is no need to try to get maximum velocities! By backing off 5% or so from maximum you significantly reduce maximum pressures while not losing much velocity. Lower pressure is easier on your cases (i.e., more reloads per case), easier on your rifle, and dramatically increases your safety.

Don't get any thing else that you don't understand the need for. It does not have to be complicated. You should get 5-15 reloads per case.

Check out the website of the manufacturer of the powder and bullets that you use, too.Hodgdon has a great site for reloading data, for instance. Find a buddy or old time reloading in your town to learn from, too.Every reloader I know would be happy to help out a newbie get started.

Good luck, it is a LOT OF FUN!
    Last edited by NWPilgrim; 11-17-08 at 01:57.

Feedback Score
    Thank you NWpilgrim!

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the advice.

Feedback Score
    NWPilgrim gave good advice, especially for your budget.

The one comment I have though is that his recommendation for a Lee Case trimmer and a RCBS X-die may not be compatible. It's my understanding that you neeed to trim cases .015-.020 short of max length for the X-die to work. The Lee trims thems only .010 under max, and there's no way to adjust it.

If you go with the X-die, you may need a lathe-type trimmer that offers adjustability. But if you shoot much .223, then either go with the X-die setup (to avoid repeated trimming), or go electric (but then you'll bust your $500 budget). Do not go with a conventional resizer and a Lee Trimmer. It works, but you'll get tired really quickly of trimming a bunch of cases using that setup.

Either wait for him to chime in, or PM him about this.

Lee Turret Press -- great, great choice. Just be advised, production will be slower than with a progressive. With a progressive, you get a loaded round with each pull of the handle, with the Lee Turret, you get a loaded round with every four pulls on the handle. Still, it's a good quality press. And I'm not aware of any quality progressive presses that will fit within your budget, given the need to purchase all the listed extras.

Having said that, if production is truly important, I'd consider adding a couple hundred to your budget and then get yourself a Dillon 550 or 650.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast