Thread: drills to increase speed and recoil managment

Feedback Score

drills to increase speed and recoil managment

what are some drills to help increase speed and recoil managment

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dean2007 View Post
    what are some drills to help increase speed and recoil managment
    The best drill to generate recoil management is a proper grip.

Here are some ideas:

https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads...ol-grip.51592/ - a slightly wonky but good explanation

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...-handgun-grip/ - the picture of the guy with his support hand is a fair example, the hand should be a little higher, though and centered on, or slightly to the right of the sternum (if right handed shooter). That way the gun drives out under your dominant eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJrA7wMXuuQ - pretty good video, I'm more of a equal grip pressure with both hands guy, he does a great job of explaining the way to lock the support wrist.

http://preparedgunowners.com/2017/06...est-grip-ever/ - read the article and watch the videos. I liked Vogel's classes, adopted his style of grip and then discovered it didn't work well for me with WML's. YMMV.

Hope this helps.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Cadence drills
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Shoot several ( 5 or 6) rds into the same target as rapidly as you can re-acquire the sights.
    High hits are; you didn't let the gun/sights settle back down from recoil, low left (for right hand shooter) you're anticipating recoil, random hits (out of the group) you're not controlling the gun/recoil.
    You will learn where "the edge" is for you and what to improve on. The key is to shoot as close to the edge as possible, without going over. ( :

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Ben Stoegers doubles drill
    Bill drill

Not sure what happened to the other thread.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Become smooth before fast. Speed comes after your mechanics are smooth and naturally speed up as you ingrain the right habits. Anyone can be fast... and not hit a damn thing.

There are a lot of things at play regarding recoil management. The first, easiest thing is to take as high a "purchase" of the gun as possible without getting bit by the slide. The closer your thumbs are to being in line with the barrel, the more the inertia of the recoil is kicked straight back into your hands and down your arms instead of over top of your hand and breaking your wrists.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    Become smooth before fast. Speed comes after your mechanics are smooth and naturally speed up as you ingrain the right habits. Anyone can be fast... and not hit a damn thing.

There are a lot of things at play regarding recoil management. The first, easiest thing is to take as high a "purchase" of the gun as possible without getting bit by the slide. The closer your thumbs are to being in line with the barrel, the more the inertia of the recoil is kicked straight back into your hands and down your arms instead of over top of your hand and breaking your wrists.
    While i agree with respect to new shooters, once you get solid fluid motions down- you need to push the speed.

Speed doesnt happen, you must train it, and fix the failures. If you cant hit A zones on demand, the doubles drill is a waste. If your first shot is A but the rest are all over, the bill drill and doubles are great.

If you always get A hits, you probably are not getting any faster/better.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 11-15-19 at 21:55.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    While i agree with respect to new shooters, once you get solid fluid motions down- you need to push the speed.

Speed doesnt happen, you must train it, and fix the failures. If you cant hit A zones on demand, the doubles drill is a waste. If your first shot is A but the rest are all over, the bill drill and doubles are great.

If you always get A hits, you probably are not getting any faster/better.
    We agree. That's what I was saying, though not as well as you, when I suggested that speed comes after smooth. Once you become smooth and start making quality hits, then you ratchet up the speed until your group opens up to an unacceptable size, slow down slightly to tighten back up, and then hover there until you make good hits consistently at the new higher speed, then do it again. By this process, you incrementally increase your speed while maintaining proper mechanics.

You'll never know how fast you can make quality hits if you never step on the gas pedal and find your failure point.