Thread: Change Pin & Welded Muzzle Device

Feedback Score

Change Pin & Welded Muzzle Device

I currently have an upper with a pin & welded muzzle device (standard flash hider). I'd like to have the current device removed and a different device put on (and pinned/welded). Any concerns I need to be aware of? Or is this something most gunsmiths should be able to handle?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    It can be done, but I think there is more risk to the barrel integrity than the muzzle device. I actually purchased a used Warcomp from off the EE, and it had been removed from a pin/weld. Again, not sure how enthusiastic I would be about changing it, personally. Not sure the cost/risk/benefit ratios work in your favor.

But I would guess any confident gunsmith or mechanically inclined friend with a drill press could assist.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkhahn View Post
    I currently have an upper with a pin & welded muzzle device (standard flash hider). I'd like to have the current device removed and a different device put on (and pinned/welded). Any concerns I need to be aware of? Or is this something most gunsmiths should be able to handle?
    Most people who do it will not guarantee not ruining the MD. In your case it doesn't matter. You aren't losing much. You shouldn't have any problem getting it done.

Feedback Score
    If you are planning on having a smith do the work I would recommend retro arms works. John Thomas is very good at this type of work. He is fast, friendly and does museum quality work. I once had him convert a beretta bm59 tri comp into a muzzle device for a early armalite style prototype like carbine build. This was a pin and weld job also. Came out fabulous. Check him out, you will not be disappointed.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ve had this done. It is not difficult and if done correctly and with care, nothing should harmed. ADCO does excellent work with a very short turn-around, IME

Feedback Score
    Have retro arms works do it as mentioned above. Shouldn't be an issue

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    I’ve had this done. It is not difficult and if done correctly and with care, nothing should harmed. ADCO does excellent work with a very short turn-around, IME
    From ADCO's site "The device being removed will be destroyed, because we mill the device off instead of drilling the pins out"

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    From ADCO's site "The device being removed will be destroyed, because we mill the device off instead of drilling the pins out"
    Yup. John at Retro Arms has swapped one or two of mine. He’s told me that there’s never a guarantee it’ll come off without ruining it, but so far I’ve been able to reuse mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.