Thread: Cut down Colt 16” to 11.5” - suppressed only

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Cut down Colt 16” to 11.5” - suppressed only

Doing a little reading around the internet... it seems that Colt uses .063 gas port for both 14.5 and 16” guns. It looks like that’s pretty close to what Sionics has for their ERGP barrel.

Am I on the right track thinking I could cut down the 6920 barrel to ~11.5 and it would function 100% with a full time suppressor? This particularly interests me since I have an “extra” 6920 OEM2 and a plan to pin/weld a direct thread suppressor when released; I could fine tune the length to get as close as possibly to just above 16” OAL.

As attractive some of the suppressed only options are out there, this seems like the most practical thing to do. I wouldn’t cut the barrel, but would be comfortable pinning (I think).
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    What suppressor are you looking at?

What you're proposing will work and has been done a lot in the past.

It should function 100%, but you're potentially leaving some performance on the table, as the port can be smaller or the gas system longer.

With all the good dedicated suppressed options available these days, selling/trading the presumably new Colt barrel and getting what you'd really like may be the most practical in terms of both time and money.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can go down to 10.5" with perfect function with that gas port size. An 11.5" should be able to run a bit smaller port as Clint says.

I was a pioneer of the idea, you can probably find a bunch of info searching my name + "dedicated".

Mine is still running great and with minimal added gas to the face. I would also look pretty hard at a 12" with a mini silencer if I was doing it today.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I have a Silencerco Saker K in jail currently. It was part of a run made for Warsport as a direct thread/pin and weld option.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Cutting a 6920 barrel to 11.5" puts the cut in the 203 notch. Has no effect on function but it does look odd.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's razor

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CMP View Post
    Cutting a 6920 barrel to 11.5" puts the cut in the 203 notch. Has no effect on function but it does look odd.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    I measured a CMMG 16" M4 barrel, and although the cut is in the notch, it looked as if the threaded portion would come back to the straight part of the barrel. The crush washer would then be right where the M203 notch taper starts.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk