Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BCM 14.5 GOV or ELW Suppressed

Feedback Score

Post BCM 14.5 GOV or ELW Suppressed

I’ve seen lots of posts talking of the advantages or ELW over the gov profile for general use. However, none seem to focus on suppressed use. Anyone have any experience with running these suppressed and their findings?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    We like a medium tapered profile for suppressor use, as it handles the weight and heat better.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I would do the BCM enhanced fluted medium weight upper. It’s not BFH, but seems like a really cool barrel.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Your rate of fire will guide your profile. Pappabear runs cans on some very light barrels. If you're not mag dumping and stuff, a thin barrel can be ok.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I would second the BCM medium profile barrel. Although I do not own one, I do have a BCM SOCOM barrel which is a real shooter and I assume the BCM medium profile would perform equally well.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I called and asked BCM about this and was told they don't recommend running a can with the ELW barrels, but then shortly after that saw a video with MrGunsngear doing just that, so, go figure. For the record, I also called Colt and asked about running a can on the LE6960 CCU and after consulting with some engineers I was told it should be fine, so who knows? I'd have to guess markm's post is probably the most accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Your rate of fire will guide your profile. Pappabear runs cans on some very light barrels. If you're not mag dumping and stuff, a thin barrel can be ok.

Feedback Score
    Yeh BCM told me the same thing but like you said MR Guns and Gear and Garand Thumb seem to use them too. This is what BCM told me “ When running suppressed, we would recommend the standard government profile barrel. Light weight barrels will run fine with a suppressor, but we usually do not recommend running a light weight barrel suppressed as some folks are bothered by the POA/POI shifts they see when using or removing the suppressor.
    The amount of POA/POI shift is dependent on the weight of the suppressor you install. We do not have any recorded data, but it is significant enough to be noteworthy.“

Feedback Score
    Well I am running a dead air sandman k with a BCM 11.5 ELW-F. Shift was about 1.5 inch low at 100 yards(furthest I've had so far) upon initial zero. Should have taken pics and accurate measurements, alas I did not. I have had zero Malfunctions in the 500 rounds this can has been on there. This puts that particular gun at about 2k rounds. Not much compared to others but it's been problem free and I love shooting suppressed. Should have done this years ago.

So I understand the POI shift concern, but I plan on keeping this thing suppressed exclusively. I have also taken it off and put it back on and did notice a zero shift from the on/off/on.

So, in short, I have found this lightweight barrel to be perfectly serviceable with a can attached. If there are major issues, I will report back at that time.

Feedback Score
    How does the the heat affect the poi shift once that barrel gets hot? I’ve read that 2-3 mags relatively fast that barrel will be glowing red.

Feedback Score
    I'm not one to "mag dump" but I ran 90 rounds through it confirm zero/just to see if groups would open. It was only 0-50 yards and there was not a noticeable shift. I was running a couple drills. I guesstimate that I had 3 mags through in 10 minutes, probably less. It was nowhere near glowing red. I'll try to get a heat gun next time I do it.

Hope to get this set up to a class next year as it is now my primary duty rifle. Regardless its gonna be put through its paces and so far I absolutely love the lightweight package with a mini can.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast