Thread: Sig P365 First Time Out

Feedback Score

Sig P365 First Time Out

I`ve been following the M&P 2.0 vs Sig P365 thread since I was looking for something to replace my lady`s XD S .45 . She`s very accurate with it and loves everything about it , but it just punishes her hand too much now and she wants more than 6 rounds .

So , we found a P365 XL the other day and it followed us home . First time out was today and we got a little over 100 rounds through it .
    That is an accurate little gun , but we had several issues with it .

First was failure to go into battery with her on at least 4 occasions . I fired it and had no issues , so we both thought it might have something to do with her grip , however , per the guys at SigTalk , the failure to go into battery seems to be a characteristic of this gun until it has about 300 rounds through it . We were using Lawman 124 and 147 grain .

Her and my pinkie is under the gun and not able to grip it , so we`re looking for a mag extension to cure that . That may also be part of her problem on the battery issue .

My biggest issue is with the flush magazines ..... they won`t drop free because the heel of my strong hand covers the back of the mag . It may also be that my EDC is a CGW P01 , which is a bigger gun and I have over 1000 rounds through it now and am very comfortable with it .

We both shoot the gun well and she loves the size and weight , but the grip could be bigger , but that is probably curable with more range time .

Anyway , just curious what you Sig guys think or what suggestions you might have .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Check thumb placement for the out of battery

On sub compact guns you're going to have to break your grip a little for the mag to drop free
    Last edited by Arik; 11-08-19 at 07:45.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I had some initial OOB issues with my P365 it's first time out putting about 160 rounds through it, and my problems were most pronounced with the tiny 10 round mags. Unless I'm using one of the 12 round magazines, my little finger doesn't fit on the grip either, so I reasoned out that it's as likely as not that I just didn't have a firm enough grip. On my second outing, making sure my thumb placement didn't interfere with the slide stop, I just made sure to have a nice firm hold on it, tight even, and that seemed to smooth things out nicely. Only 1 failure to feed on 240 rounds, so I think my problem was purely limp wristing the thing, shooting too relaxed. With a total of 400 rounds on that pistol now, I expect my next trip out with it to be problem free.

As far as the mag release, for me that was an easy fix. I like to use my index finger to work my mag release HK style, so I just reverse the button and set the gun up as a lefty. I do that with my glocks too, (Rainier Arms MARS is awesome!) Now, instead of covering the mag with the heal of my thumb when engaging, I can press the button with my index finger, which leaves enough space for the mag to drop free without shifting my grip. Granted I have smaller hands, so that might not work for everybody.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I recommend Q4318 NATO 124 grain. It's almost a +P but it provides plenty of boogie to make sure guns operate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I recommend Q4318 NATO 124 grain. It's almost a +P but it provides plenty of boogie to make sure guns operate.
    In other words Winchester NATO 124, before you go googling Q blah blah blah.

Are we going to start posting NSN numbers to identify guns and other products?
    Last edited by Arik; 11-08-19 at 18:56.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    In other words Winchester NATO 124, before you go googling Q blah blah blah.

Are we going to start posting NSN numbers to identify guns and other products?
    It's not unusual to identify Winchester ammunition by the manufacturer part number. At least not on this forum, anyway.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    It's not unusual to identify Winchester ammunition by the manufacturer part number. At least not on this forum, anyway.
    First I've seen it

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have the same... I do very much enjoy it, though have yet to employee it as my daily... I have not had the failure to go into battery issue, but the locking back has been an issue ( i know grip, blah blah blah) I have modified that and still seem to have an issue and have not had the issues with similar sized fire arms... more of a pain is the failure of the mag to drop free ... even moving hand out of the way it is difficult, I just have to strip it as though there was a malfunction... but i really do like the way it shoots :-)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestions ..... next time out , I plan to watch more closely and record her firing the gun . We both feel it`s probably her grip as I had zero issues when I shot it .
    As far as ammo , we went through Lawman 124 and 147 grain with the same results when she shot . Ammo is supposed to be almost +P , which is why I use it .

I may try what was suggested on moving the mag release to the right side . I have also found a source for an extended mag release and I may try that later as it`s an easy change . Also found out that Hogue makes a grip sleeve for the P365 XL , and since it`s only $11 , may order one and see if it makes any difference for her .... after all , her gun , not mine .
    She may be limp wristing it , but I doubt it as she has zero problems firing her XD S .45 .

Mags are the flat/flush bottom 12 rounders from Sig . Tried to order the ones with the extended base for 15 rounds , but Sig was out and couldn`t give an ETA on when they will be back in stock.

Anyway , plan to hit the range again next week , so we`ll see what happens then .

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    And U-vibe prefers to avoid confusion.

Anyway, I think downsized guns are more ammo sensitive than their standard sized relatives. Less slide mass, more recoil spring tension maybe. Ammo with a little more pop helps cycling. When I first got my 9mm Shield, the only ammo that wouldn't cycle it was cheesey eastern Europe stuff. Not enough oomph.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 11-10-19 at 10:13.