Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: HK91-FAL-M1A. Can't decide on a battle rifle.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    Almost as slow as your realization that it's over, when you get bayonet by some tweeker with his Tapco f*cked SKS on the first day of the boogaloo.

"Not like this, not like this...I have SIG 55X's damnit, I have MP5's!!!" "Bayoneted by an SKS?" "NOOOO!"
    OK, boomer.

Tweakers with Tapco f___ed SKSs don't have bayonets on them.

The only people who have bayonets on their SKSs are collectors and Sovietaboos.

Either way, the IRTV/P&S video is more scientific. Not, you know, a lot; but that's not difficult to do when compared to the Polenar video.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    Almost as slow as your realization that it's over, when you get bayonet by some tweeker with his Tapco f*cked SKS on the first day of the boogaloo.

"Not like this, not like this...I have SIG 55X's damnit, I have MP5's!!!" "Bayoneted by an SKS?" "NOOOO!"

The AR reload can be lightening fast - basically the fastest of any current mil pattern rifle. The reload in the Polenar video was not fast.

Also, these talks of the boog are moronic at best.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 11:59.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't recall reading preparation for SHTF in the original post (or his that followed it).

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser KAR98K View Post
    I've seen to go through my .308 battle rifle phases every few years. Sold my DSA SA58 to fund our wedding last year, but still have the mags. I really want to go back to the Right Arm of the Free World considering I still have mags and a bayonet.

Difference is: we have moved to North Dakota, I'm inching to hunt next year, and said mags are still in TN.

Sigh...and I'm kinda wanting something different.

Even though I've damn near owned or shot all three, I can't say I'm really wanting a change, but maybe a real commitment.

I've owned a CETME and a Hesse G3 misery, a ptr32, and aside from the crappy manufactured...well...crap, I did like the platform. I'm very well acquitted with the internals and cleaning (thank you Hesse) and they are cheaper to shoot using steel cased ammo. Something I'm very hesitant with the FAL.

The FAL is a little more ergonomically friendly. The iron sights are okay, but the accuracy wasn't great unless I did hand loads. Easy with the FAL; good luck with the brass on the HK91. And again, my working knowledge of the FAL is on par with the 91.

The M1A I'm familiar with from my M1 days, but I've never fired a full on M1A/M-14..

I'm going to be putting a scope on it, and a check rest, but I don't know which one I'd be comfortable with.

I'm looking for a good support for parts, a good scope host, and good accuracy.
    I've only got experience with one of the three being considered, so I'm not going to provide any info beyond the M1A. It readily accepts optics, and both Bula and LRB offer variants with removable picatinny rails making this quite feasible. My pre-ban M1A delivers 1.5 MOA, with the NM/2A irons, the Bula M21 DMR does closer to 1.25 MOA, both with handloads with A-Maxes or FGMM.
    Last edited by grizzman; 11-23-19 at 22:41.

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 11:59.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm not sure which other thread you're referencing, but it's a solid option for this one. I chose the 19.25" length in standard profile, and it handles very well. A Bradley cheek riser takes care of the cheekweld challenge. A 3-9 Leupold in short picatinny ring-mounts puts the optic right where it needs to be, and the irons are completely usable with the optic and Bradley removed.

I'd also be interested in an HK91 or FAL, but they're not readily available (if at all) in my area.

Feedback Score
    I have repeatedly checked the block on guns I listed after decades ago.

They are fun.

I like them.

Mini-14s, 91s, Camp 9s, AKs, PSL, etc. all take up space in the armory.

Sure, an M14 or FN-FAL are cool. Like an UZI.

But a .308 AR or Glock mag 9mm AR always end up being my go to in those calibers.

The modularity, Manual of arms, ergonomics, etc. always win out.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    These 8 pages have been fun to read ....but to the OP ,,,,just my personal opinion.; Im a 308 and .45 girl at heart....several years ago I tried every battle rifle I could get my hands on , and became a FAL girl.....My biggest reason was recoil seemed the best by a long shot. Nothing seemed to compare as far as fast follow up shots and staying on target . recoil seems to go straight back when others seemed more violent with more muzzle rise.I can stay on target on rapid fire and transtition to multiple targets quicker..The Ergonomics seem to fit me perfectly also. No one rifle is perfect for everybody , but the FAL is for me. Right arm of the free world

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 11:56.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    1. HK91 is the best all-around doomsday 308. It will last for eternity, just pour some motor oil on it every month or so. As I said years ago, this was a rifle designed for an atomic Stalingrad—it is the true NATO foil of the AK-47. If you must try and turn it into an ar, there are sufficient options to change the ergonomics to suit. And the mags are still insanely cheap and reliable. A good example can usually be found at a sane price. There are also Greek licensed copies which are identical in every practical way. I steer clear of clones.

2. FN is coolest. Don’t know why, but I love just taking mine out and loving on it. Get a real Belgian gun and it will be a good investment.

3. I can’t really judge the m14. I had two Springfields and neither was reliable enough to keep, and scoping was a pain. I actually prefer the classic rifle ergos but I couldn’t get past the unreliability.

I’m not talking about scars and ar-10 variants because he didn’t ask about that.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast