G&R Tactical
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: HK91-FAL-M1A. Can't decide on a battle rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    Which was one of the reasons I got rid of all my other patterns of rifles....Logistics. Now I don't need to worry about Fal Parts, G3 Parts, M1a parts etc....I have essentially ONE set of parts that happen to share many common parts with what is the most popular semi auto rifle in the country. In this country, at this time in history, there is no question but that the AR15 rules the market in every dimension.

I very well remember the days of $300 Aks and $99 Fal kits....The market has moved on for better or worse- and that part of it- is NEVER coming back...The Fal Kits and G3 kits etc...Were to the 90's what Mausers and Lugers etc...were to the 50's and 60's. There are still and always will be guys that want them but they are fewer all the time.

For me, simple is better. I'm at a point in life where nostalgia has yielded to practicality and I no longer care about, "Oh Yea, I have one of those"...

There's still tons of parts available for those old battle rifles. Can you run your AR10's with a steady diet of surplus ammo? Steel cased ammo? Or will they start to choke like my AR's do when fed surplus Guat, Radway or steel cased ammo? See that's the other part of the equation. The old school rifles have a wide footprint by the tens of millions and that also means they were designed with looser clearances to run a wide variety of ammo. That's why I'll keep my AK's, HK 91's, and FAL's- there's something to be said for being able to run surplus or lower grade ammo in case SHTF.

RR77
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 11-20-19 at 12:38.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    There's still tons of parts available for those old battle rifles. Can you run your AR10's with a steady diet of surplus ammo? Steel cased ammo? Or will they start to choke like my AR's do when fed surplus Guat, Radway or steel cased ammo? See that's the other part of the equation. The old school rifles have a wide footprint by the tens of millions and that also means they were designed with looser tolerances to run a wide variety of ammo. That's why I yielded to practicality as well which is why I keep my AK's, HK 91's, and FAL's- there's something to be said for being able to run surplus or lower grade ammo in case SHTF.

RR77

LMT MWS and KAC PC/CC will function with a very wide variety of 308, both suppressed and unsuppressed. Iíve used Port surplus and Hirt surplus, which are about as low on the ammo totem pole as Iíll go. My 308s are typically fed CBC fmj and OTM, black hills OTM, and fed gmm.

Variety is the spice of life and Iím all about having interesting reference pieces. But donít pretend the FAL and G3 have anything even close to the support of current designs. The FAL and G3 were ubiquitous. But they no longer are and readily available cheap parts for both have long dried up.

And let me be clear, Iím advocating for top tier Stoner pattern 308s, not PSA or other lower tier stuff. Iím talking KAC, LMT, LaRue, and (maybe) DD.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 11-20-19 at 12:38.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    LMT MWS and KAC PC/CC will function with a very wide variety of 308, both suppressed and unsuppressed. I’ve used Port surplus and Hirt surplus, which are about as low on the ammo totem pole as I’ll go. My 308s are typically fed CBC fmj and OTM, black hills OTM, and fed gmm.

Variety is the spice of life and I’m all about having interesting reference pieces. But don’t pretend the FAL and G3 have anything even close to the support of current designs. The FAL and G3 were ubiquitous. But they no longer are and readily available cheap parts for both have long dried up.

And let me be clear, I’m advocating for top tier Stoner pattern 308s, not PSA or other lower tier stuff. I’m talking KAC, LMT, LaRue, and (maybe) DD.

To me AR's are reference pieces, which is honestly why I have several of them.

However if I want true reliability based on my experience I'd choose AK's and G3's with FAL's or AUG's as a close second.

RR77
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 11-20-19 at 16:36.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    To me AR's are reference pieces, which is honestly why I have several of them.

However if I want true reliability based on my experience I'd choose AK's and G3's with FAL's or AUG's as a close second.

RR77
    I figure by the time I get to the point where I am shooting rusty steel cased ammo and scrounged up cartridges loaded with horse manure and sawdust.....There will be plenty of Ak's and other rifles lying around if I need them! Lol...
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe." Luke 11:21

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567