Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: HK91-FAL-M1A. Can't decide on a battle rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    3. I can’t really judge the m14. I had two Springfields and neither was reliable enough to keep, and scoping was a pain. I actually prefer the classic rifle ergos but I couldn’t get past the unreliability.
    This is one of the most interesting and undiscussed things about the M14. Both of mine were all USGI except the LRB receiver and I never, ever, ever experienced a malfunction with either in over 5000 rounds. The first time I held a Springfield M1A I said out loud "whoa, this isn't right at all". The weight, the balance, the sound and feel of the metal parts, the width and shape of the stock, the trigger, the recoil, the sights—everything felt off. This makes some sense—producing M14 parts in the manner specified by its TDP would be insanely expensive today. Hell, it was expensive and difficult then! People forget what manufacturing was like before CNC.

Everybody talks about "HK clones" but nobody talks about "M14 clones" with the same (and probably more deserved) derision. At least license-built G3s were actually built under license and not in a commercial free for all. I found the vast majority of revisionist internet M14 lore is a. not contemporaneous and b. actually about Springfield M1As, not real complete WRA/HRA/SA/TRW rifles or all-but-receiver kit builds.
    Last edited by Danus ex; 12-07-19 at 15:06.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    You are right, I basically shouldn’t comment on the m14 because I have never owned a real one. Hell, can you own one?
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    You are right, I basically shouldn’t comment on the m14 because I have never owned a real one. Hell, can you own one?
    A few made it out into the wild, but not many. Only pricing I could find is an H&R that Rock Island Auction sold in 2017 for $37,375.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I know of many which were TRW or similar parts kits built on some of the early forged civvy receivers. The only parts difference was the receiver itself, which was identical except for being missing cuts for sel fire, if I recall. And some later M14s, were identical, if I recall.

My regret was not getting one of the nice trw parts kits in the early 80s when they were 300ish, and one of the receivers ($380?). Then the aw ban hit, and they skyrocketed.

But there are many civvy M14 builds which are identical to issue with the exception of the source of the receiver. And the receivers were dimensionally and metallurgical identical at that time.

close friend at the time was big into CMP as a family and had multiple M14 zone loan as part of that program. His dad bought a dozen trw parts kits and built match rifles from them over several years.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    OMFG just get an SR-25 or an LMT and get a life

-Early 20s Firefly (who was a total TART) had an STG-58. It was not bad but once I got an AR it never got shot again. Looking back it was a crude but cool gun. Coulda done worse. They were affordable then

-late 20s Firefly got hisself an HK91 it was alright but you only get one to have one. Better than FAL

-Late 20s Firefly again had a DRMO M-14 as a patrol rifle. It was kinda dumb in retrospect but fun to have. I would never dare to do such a thing now but I was a madlad.

Then I got an SR-25. Nothing else measured up. It goes hunting. It sees use. Worth the money? Depends. It was worth it to me.
    It checks all the boxes.

But if I were in like 1975 and not allowed an AR-10.....I’d begrudgingly get an FN FAL.
    I wouldn’t in 2019 but 1975 yeah.

ETA “But Firefly, if HK91 is better than FAL why did you pick the FAL?”

Simple. The HK is objectively better but is also a pain to maintain. FNs are a little easier and you can mess with the gas(though you shouldn’t have to).

Both suck to mount optics to.
    Last edited by Firefly; 12-08-19 at 17:38.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Of course you can. Find a transferable M14. They pop up not infrequently. But there are better places to park money in transferable MGs than the M14.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

-Early 20s Firefly (who was a total TART) had an STG-58. It was not bad but once I got an AR it never got shot again. Looking back it was a crude but cool gun. Coulda done worse. They were affordable then

-late 20s Firefly got hisself an HK91 it was alright but you only get one to have one. Better than FAL

-Late 20s Firefly again had a DRMO M-14 as a patrol rifle. It was kinda dumb in retrospect but fun to have. I would never dare to do such a thing now but I was a madlad.

Then I got an SR-25. Nothing else measured up. It goes hunting. It sees use. Worth the money? Depends. It was worth it to me.
    It checks all the boxes.

But if I were in like 1975 and not allowed an AR-10.....I’d begrudgingly get an FN FAL.

Simple. The HK is objectively better but is also a pain to maintain. FNs are a little easier and you can mess with the gas(though you shouldn’t have to).

Think there’s some truth here. OG battle rifles are still very usable but they’re also some nostalgia in owning them. If you’re a reloader... the G3 murders brass and will fling brass into the next dimension. M14s and their rotating bolt systems are cool but don’t suppress as well and can be a PITA to maintain. FALs are heavy as hell, a little more modern but not modern enough.

I still have my Hebrew Hammer, sold my HK91 and clones in all .308 configurations, sold a M14 SOCOM II. The HK has some interesting positives due to roller delayed actions becoming more popular, they suppress well, mags are plentiful and cheap. So if I had to pick from you list, I’d take the G3.

Think the SR25 patterned rifle is the best all around rifle you can get now. I have Colt Competition build and my Colt LE901 with a heavier buffer that shoots very well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If it were 1999-2002 again, I would happily relive the FAL life.

But today, if I got one I’d play with it. Larp with it. Then sell it for not shooting it.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

It checks all the boxes.

I'm at the same point. Owned a FAL, considered an LRB M14, and love G3s, but there's really nothing better out there than an LMT, SR25, or even DD at the moment. My heart wants a G3, but my head tells me there are way better options.

Those DRMO M14s were so sweet, though. I never figured out why they were converted to semi before being sent out, vs. being able to buy 3 auto M16s through DRMO for the same price.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Love my G3. Love my LMT. Love my SR25 APC.

The G3 w/A2 and burst lower w/sear pack wins coolness and fun factor. Plenty of good optic mounting options these days.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast