Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: HK91-FAL-M1A. Can't decide on a battle rifle.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Reentered the "Classic Battle Rifle" game this morning with ann order for a PTR-91 GI. I had one several years ago that I traded for an M1 Garand, but always intended to pick up another one when I had the chance. Mags and accessories seem to have gone up considerably since I bought my last one, but $4 per mag isn't terrible.

I will admit to preferring the FAL over the HK91/CETME/PTR design (and, of course, the SCAR over all others), but it's hard to justify a $500 more price tag for something that would have marginally better performance. A FAL is still on the list, but PTR's price tag is hard to beat.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    Don't know if you guys have seen this yet. Pretty interesting and certainly entertaining.

https://youtu.be/-pClJVKfFyY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Spoiler Alert. That was a good video of test with 8 iron sighted battle rifles with some surprises. No surprise HK an M1A tied for dead last. I really don't understand the HK love, like mentioned in the video "ergonomic nightmare" describes it to a tee. FAL and SCAR came in middle of the pack, but mentioned SCAR likely would have been higher with an optic. But big surprise to me was number 1 and 2, Firefly was right, BRN-10 came in number 2 which shows that Stoner and Sullivan really knew their stuff, only complaint was carry handle charging which gets hot, if Brownell's would make a rear charging handle model that would be a winner. Number 1 ta da was......Robinson XCR-M......wut???

My take away is that Brownell's really needs to expand their BRN-10 lineup and offer rear charging handle and flattop versions. Just like it did in the 50's it blows away all the others as a battle rifle if it had gotten a fair shake back in the day history might have been very different, and at the price it's selling for IMO it's the one to buy, just use good mags.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 04-15-20 at 09:38.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    That test is a test of how AR shooters perform when other guns. Turns out, they shoot ARs best.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My boys at HS age were always amazed at how easy the HK-91 was to hit with at 200 yds with open sights. Much easier than other rifles we shot at the time.

They actually prefered to shoot it without the scope for that reason.

They are not alone in that regard, and I never found the h&k ergos hard to deal with.

I like my ar-10 build, trigger, etc. Its more modern. But I'm not sure I could outshoot myself with aimed fire with it versus a real h&k 91.

Remember many comments are regarding clone HK builds. Some are good, some are not. PTR seems to be one of the "good" ones.

The video proves nothing in my book.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I qualified with a G3 and Panzerfaust with a sister unit to get my Schützenschnur in 75, then in the late 70's after returning to CONUS I got a HK 91. Just never really cottoned to it, later on got a BM 62 and after that the HK never left the safe, then got a Beligum FAL and while as heavy it just balanced and felt so much better to carry around. Over the years sold off all three of those and the only one I never really miss is the 91, that and a .308 Galil ARM never lived up to the hype IMO.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Will concede balance to the FAL... To me nothing quite like it.

Feedback Score
    All three are winners. I personally give carrying/handling to the M14, Road Warrior toughness to the G3, and svelte good looks to the FAL. All are accurate and reliable enough for general use, if you don't get a turd.
    An LRB built 18" would probably be my first choice because they build them right with rock solid receivers, there's plenty of support out there for this American beauty, and working rifles are carried more than fired.
    A real HK would be second if the price was right, first if its for SHTF purposes. I have no experience and know no one with a PTR (except for one guy who got the 8.5 inch PDW in 7.62x39).
    The FAL just doesn't feel right to me and I had the hardest time with it, but admittedly, the least amount of trigger time and I never shot it full auto (HK definitely more controllable on FA than the M14). I have heard that DSA makes them better than FN did but surely many will dispute this. Also, I think you can order one from DSA with some features such as sand cuts in the bolt and with/without a carry handle/cut.
    Thanks to all for the informative and interesting discussion. I always read them carefully and it always seems to come down to personal preference, but it's interesting to read everyones' experiences.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    G3 for Doomsday/ once a year lubricate with oil from derelict engine block duty.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    G3 for Doomsday/ once a year lubricate with oil from derelict engine block duty.
    Were G3's (or even clones) ever made with chrome-lined barrels? Does anyone offer one barreled with a chrome or even nitrided barrel?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    To best of my knowledge no.

You can do a custom build and get a CHF barrel nitrided.

With that said I've owned several HK91/SAR3/8/PTR's over the years and if you can just remember to clean the barrel and chamber with some solvent then oil it you'll be ok.

Have you seen a German G3 cleaning kit? Really not much to it at all.
    Nullus amicus melior - Nullus inimicus perior

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast