Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: HK91-FAL-M1A. Can't decide on a battle rifle.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I gave up on all my "other" battle rifles.

I sold 11 Fals and 4 HK type rifles along with 25 years worth of spare parts, kits etc...... I am down to 3 M1as and spares....they compliment my Garands which I will never sell........ I took the money I had in Fals and G3's and bought a half a dozen AR10 pattern rifles, optics, shit ton of spare parts and magazines and some ammo too. Much more space in the gun safes, much simplified logistics.....Seemed like the logical, long term, best, solution.

G3's, M1as and Fals are like 1911's....Fine old guns, but dying a slow death due to lack of interest and the better ergonomics, superior accuracy, public familiarity and general aftermarket available for the AR10 pattern rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    I gave up on all my "other" battle rifles.

I sold 11 Fals and 4 HK type rifles along with 25 years worth of spare parts, kits etc...... I am down to 3 M1as and spares....they compliment my Garands which I will never sell........ I took the money I had in Fals and G3's and bought a half a dozen AR10 pattern rifles, optics, shit ton of spare parts and magazines and some ammo too. Much more space in the gun safes, much simplified logistics.....Seemed like the logical, long term, best, solution.

G3's, M1as and Fals are like 1911's....Fine old guns, but dying a slow death due to lack of interest and the better ergonomics, superior accuracy, public familiarity and general aftermarket available for the AR10 pattern rifle.
    Oh wow, I made a smaller, deeper version of the same cut (8 FALs, 2 HKs, several kits, and 15 years worth of stuff) except I also sold the 2 M1As and 2 Garands. I haven't bought anything yet except a SAN 751 16", and I've still got 25k of M80. What have you learned from the AR-10s?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danus ex View Post
    Oh wow, I made a smaller, deeper version of the same cut (8 FALs, 2 HKs, several kits, and 15 years worth of stuff) except I also sold the 2 M1As and 2 Garands. I haven't bought anything yet except a SAN 751 16", and I've still got 25k of M80. What have you learned from the AR-10s?
    The AR 10S shoot better generally. Yea, I know, everyone that owns a Fal has 4 that will shoot MOA with standard ball....That has not been my experience and I've owned over two dozen of them and seen/built/shot 50 or more over two decades. The same for G3s though their fans don't seem to be as rabid and vociferous....

Ar10s are far easier to accessorize with multiple companies offering multiple options for hand guards, buttstocks, grips, sights, triggers etc...

The guns are easier to maintain. I can rebarrel an AR10 with a vise attached to the hitch on my truck! I've actually done that with an Ar15! Good luck doing that with an Fal, G3 or M1a....hope you brought a pocket full of locking shoulders and a gauge to select the right one or a welder for the G3....

Good AR10s are sufficiently reliable for "duty" use. Just as there are some AR10s that are not reliable I have seen many Fals and G3 clones that would not run. Many were built with hard used parts of unknown origin and suffer from wear, tolerance stacking, substandard receivers and assemblers without the bona fides to truly build a high quality rifle.

I'm no expert at any of this but those are my observations.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 12:05.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danus ex View Post
    Where does the ACC rank?
    The ACC is more of a slow push. It definitely lets you know you sent 150-168 grs down range, but is a milder and more spread out pulse. It has the stock flash hider.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    To take care of recoil..check out Bill Springfield recoil setup for the g3.

Tamed it like a pussy cat..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I believe in peace, love and extremely violent weapons systems... just in case that whole peace-and-love thing doesn't work out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    Honestly, I'm waiting for something innovative to hit the market then I'll begin to upgrade.
    There are many "newer" designs- XCR, Bren, Scar and others.... The issue is that they are very expensive and have ONE producer. There are limited magazines and spare parts available and in some cases the spares are half a century old themselves and of unknown provenance-- face it, if it left the FN factory in 1965 you have no REAL idea of where it has been since then..... They will not likely achieve widespread production before a likely semi auto ban or serious restriction of availability occurs.

The AR10 is not perfect, but I can pick up the phone right now and order any part I need from ten suppliers and I can install it myself with few if any tools. If I have a problem there is a community of deep knowledge I can access to fix it. The advantages are many, the issues few.....

While it is true that it is a contemporary of the FN and G3, unlike those platforms it has benefited from the HUGE popularity and research related to its little brother. The other two are technological dead ends with no serious R&D in over 50 years.
    Last edited by Esq.; 11-19-19 at 08:44.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Double Tap.
    Last edited by Esq.; 11-19-19 at 08:05.

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 12:04.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    The problem with the AR10/SR25 type rifles is that there are something like half a dozen different types of variants. Then proprietary components or even tools required to remove say different barrel nuts on some- that are only produced by one manufacturer. Many parts interchange but a lot of parts do not. I get the appeal but in all honesty that end of the AR market is an absolute mess. Nothing is standardized. At least with say the big three; M1A, HK 91, or FAL you basically have surplus components and new production support for standardized weapons. Are the older battle rifles dated- sure, just as the AR10 is dated but the small upgrade you get in accuracy off a free floated barrel AR10 isn't worth the headache of downsizing everything then trying to figure out which limited production AR10 type rifle is going to be supported long term. Not to mention you lose features going from one to another due to patent infringements, such as the forward assist or duel ejector etc.
    The "new production" support for the M1a, Fal and G3 is extremely limited- at most, half a dozen companies for ALL THREE guns. With the AR10 I have yet to find a rifle that I can't put a Larue MBT in- btw- that's Hammer, Trigger and Disconnect- three of the most critical spares you would ever need- the same is true for a Timney, ALG, Geisele. Heck one of my beater rifles, I used a hammer, trigger and disconnect that a gunshop customer threw away when he upgraded his AR15 to a McComrmick trigger!

The only place that it's really an issue is with bolts and even there you might be surprised how much the parts interchange- I've used "DPMS" pattern extractors- made by JP for example in Armalite guns with no issues at all. With some of the more exotic stuff like dual extractors etc...yes, the parts are proprietary but those are just like piston systems- too proprietary to be of any interest to me.

The other issue is cost. I can buy a standard pattern DPMS type bolt from Toolcraft for $150- in SEVERAL choices of finish and material construction. I can AFFORD to stockpile several of them because of that....A DSA FAL, New, Bolt and Carrier group are nearly TWICE as much.....and how many places can I get one from? The AR10 bolt I can get from: Aim, Arm & Ally, Brownells, Toms Tactical, Ace Machine, Primary Arms, Midway, Joe Bobs, Spice Tac and on and on.....No, the AR10 market is becoming more standardized daily and the amount of interchange with the AR15 simply can't be ignored- fire controls, furniture, gas blocks, sights.

One of the most critical pieces of long term firearms operations is magazines. I can buy half a dozen different brands of magazines- proven designs from D&H, Magpul, Lancer etc....for very reasonable costs from nearly infinite sources. Has DSA FINALLY managed to produce a new, reliable FAL magazine?

Lastly, there is no way that you can over state the significance of training overlap. I can literally hand a 12 year old kid or a housewife that has never handled a rifle before, a S&W M&P .22 that operates IDENTICALLY to an AR10. Not "like", not "sort of"...IDENTICALLY TO.... They can be graduated to a 5.56 and larger easily.....even for "operators" that has benefits. It's a free country and I'm well aware of the issues with the guns, but for me, personally, the benefits of the AR1o as compared to any other current offerings, far outweigh the negatives.
    Last edited by Esq.; 11-19-19 at 10:53.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast