Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: HK91-FAL-M1A. Can't decide on a battle rifle.

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 12:02.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    There's still tons of parts available for those old battle rifles. Can you run your AR10's with a steady diet of surplus ammo? Steel cased ammo? Or will they start to choke like my AR's do when fed surplus Guat, Radway or steel cased ammo? See that's the other part of the equation. The old school rifles have a wide footprint by the tens of millions and that also means they were designed with looser tolerances to run a wide variety of ammo. That's why I yielded to practicality as well which is why I keep my AK's, HK 91's, and FAL's- there's something to be said for being able to run surplus or lower grade ammo in case SHTF.

RR77

LMT MWS and KAC PC/CC will function with a very wide variety of 308, both suppressed and unsuppressed. I’ve used Port surplus and Hirt surplus, which are about as low on the ammo totem pole as I’ll go. My 308s are typically fed CBC fmj and OTM, black hills OTM, and fed gmm.

Variety is the spice of life and I’m all about having interesting reference pieces. But don’t pretend the FAL and G3 have anything even close to the support of current designs. The FAL and G3 were ubiquitous. But they no longer are and readily available cheap parts for both have long dried up.

And let me be clear, I’m advocating for top tier Stoner pattern 308s, not PSA or other lower tier stuff. I’m talking KAC, LMT, LaRue, and (maybe) DD.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 11-20-19 at 11:38.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 12:01.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    To me AR's are reference pieces, which is honestly why I have several of them.

However if I want true reliability based on my experience I'd choose AK's and G3's with FAL's or AUG's as a close second.

RR77
    I figure by the time I get to the point where I am shooting rusty steel cased ammo and scrounged up cartridges loaded with horse manure and sawdust.....There will be plenty of Ak's and other rifles lying around if I need them! Lol...
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In Range TV did a "Battle Rifle" test with the two you mention among others. I found it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHUpdFh0MUE

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 12:01.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    These debates are goofy. Most of my collection is not going to war and will never be used in an emergency situation. If it was, I would have a KAC or LMT. Most of my guns are purely for enjoyment, and for that I don't like the AR platform.

It's OK to own guns for fun, if you disagree you should get out and smell the roses. Stop taking yourself so seriously. Similarly if you're insisting that your cold war battle rifle is just as good or better in practical use than the latest designs from today you are just flat out wrong.

OP asked for recommendations from three cold war battle rifles, he didn't mention AR pattern rifles.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Based on your choices, I would buy another DSA SA58 and put a picatinny rail on it.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's a fast reload for a G3 versus an AR and an AK. Overall it's negligible differences.

That MR223 reload was really slow.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 12:00.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast