G&R Tactical
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Looking for 14.5 skinny barrel

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    In exile
    Posts
    388
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    Looking for 14.5 skinny barrel

    I would like to source a 14.5/.7 skinny barrel with front sight tower. I have one with a 1/12 twist and I would like a 1/7. Looking for something close to a Canadian C8 carbine, I have a A1 upper with FA and deflector.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    N. Alabama
    Posts
    2,042
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,778
    Feedback Score
    0
    Not a clue about this other than it meets all your wants except .750" gas block journal.

    https://retrorifles.com/14-5-inch-pe...ne-barrel-625/

    I would have swore Daniel Defense had 14.5" light weight/.750" barrels with FSB option in the last couple of years, but not seeing it today.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    1,245
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I would like to source a 14.5/.7 skinny barrel with front sight tower. I have one with a 1/12 twist and I would like a 1/7. Looking for something close to a Canadian C8 carbine, I have a A1 upper with FA and deflector.
    What you have is the start of a Model 723 clone. The Colt Canada C8 Carbine is a modified license-produced version of the US Colt Model 723 carbine. Early 723s had M16A1 type upper receivers with 14.5" pencil profile (A1) barrels. Later 723s had the M16A1E1/C7 type upper receivers with 14.5" gov't profile barrels with M203 cuts. Later production C8s were fitted with a Picatinny-type rail on top of the receiver for attachment BUISs or for mounting a detachable carrying handle like the Colt M4s.

    Here are my two 723 clones for reference.

    Early




    Late

    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

    USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004
    Oath Keeper member
    III% United Patriots member

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    1,245
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I would like to source a 14.5/.7 skinny barrel with front sight tower. I have one with a 1/12 twist and I would like a 1/7. Looking for something close to a Canadian C8 carbine, I have a A1 upper with FA and deflector.
    What you have is the start of a Model 723 clone. The Colt Canada C8 Carbine is a modified license-produced version of the US Colt Model 723 carbine. Early 723s had M16A1 type upper receivers with 14.5" pencil profile (A1) barrels. Later 723s had the M16A1E1/C7 type upper receivers with 14.5" gov't profile barrels with M203 cuts. Later production C8s were fitted with a Picatinny-type rail on top of the receiver for attachment BUISs or for mounting a detachable carrying handle like the Colt M4s.

    Here are my two 723 clones for reference.

    Early




    Late


    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

    USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004
    Oath Keeper member
    III% United Patriots member

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,377
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Not a clue about this other than it meets all your wants except .750" gas block journal.

    https://retrorifles.com/14-5-inch-pe...ne-barrel-625/

    I would have swore Daniel Defense had 14.5" light weight/.750" barrels with FSB option in the last couple of years, but not seeing it today.
    IMG_20191108_180200558.jpg
    I got mine in 2015 IIRC. I stopped seeing them for sale not long after.
    Being CHF and having a .750 gas block journal, they aren't a bad choice for an early C8 clone, although they lack the distinctive flare just behind the muzzle that C8 barrels have.
    I was going to have an FSB pinned on mine and pair it with a Colt C7 upper to make a C8 clone but never ended up following through with that particular build.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    In exile
    Posts
    388
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank you all. Renegade, the later 723 looks doable for me since I already have a Colt 16" government barrel. Right now it's attached to a Colt flattop upper so what I might do is get a DD 16" skinny mid-gas barrel for the Colt upper and swap the Colt barrel to the A1 type upper and get some of the skinny handguards I see on yours. I have one of the early Colt plastic buttstocks too.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,377
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Thank you all. Renegade, the later 723 looks doable for me since I already have a Colt 16" government barrel. Right now it's attached to a Colt flattop upper so what I might do is get a DD 16" skinny mid-gas barrel for the Colt upper and swap the Colt barrel to the A1 type upper and get some of the skinny handguards I see on yours. I have one of the early Colt plastic buttstocks too.
    Fulton Armory and Windham both have the correct "C7" style uppers available *with* M4 feedramps as an option, which will match up with the ramps in your barrel extension.
    Although an upper without the ramps will also work with an M4 ramped barrel extension. (Not the case for the reverse however).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    N. Alabama
    Posts
    2,042
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Fulton Armory and Windham both have the correct "C7" style uppers available *with* M4 feedramps as an option, which will match up with the ramps in your barrel extension.
    Although an upper without the ramps will also work with an M4 ramped barrel extension. (Not the case for the reverse however).
    So does Luth, I believe.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,377
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    So does Luth, I believe.
    Ooh, that's new. I was aware they were doing C7 uppers but I didn't know they were offering them with M4 ramps now. Always good to have another source.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •